How do YOU eat a napoleon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You photo on the 'what are you baking today' thread looks yummy but I cannot see any layers.

No layers other than top and bottom. Where I'm from we don't layer, so I didn't really know that was an option until I looked online for garnish tips (after I made it). Oh well :)

Harry,

A Lady´s Way ...

In Spanish, they are called Mil Hojas = a thousand layers ...

Slice in quarters or eighths with a very sharp knife, and then: fork the pieces, and enjoy with an Espresso or High Tea ...

Ciao, & Kindest Regards.
Margi.
I think the translation in french is 1000 leaves...and, I guess I'm not a lady, because once cut, I view this as finger food!:LOL:

Mil Hojas In Italian Is Even Better !

:chef: Harry,

Firstly, Hojas are Leaves in formal exact translation; however, the dessert is called Mil Hojas, and translated as 1.000 Layers ...

Last but not least: mil hojas is even better in Italian !

From my point of view, just the thought of Napolean is quite unappetising. Yes ?

Ciao, :yum:
Kind Regards.
Margi

Last edited:
From an early age that anything that sounds remotly French is appetising.;) Even "Napoleon".

But what is interesting that it is called Napoleon both here, in the States and in Russia, actually whole soviet union. I wonder where the name comes from.

Emperor Napolean & Danish King

This dessert is also called a Napolean according to Wikipedia.

It was believed to be created during the reigns of above two people.It is called a Napolean in The USA and a French name elsewhere as Gravy Queen is correct.

Margi.

Last edited:
Well, I know why this pastry is called a Napoleon in Denmark. 'Cause it looks like Napoleon's hat. I call the other one a millefeuille.

Napoleon02.jpg

Tax Lady & Charlie D.: Mille Feuille ( Mil Hojas )

:) Good Morning,

I too, have called it a Mille Feuille however, in the USA it is called a Napolean.

Thanks for posting that photo of the Danish Napolean Hat Pastries ... ;)

As English is the 2nd or 3rd language of most Corporate workers, the names of things have been changing and thus, this is perhaps why many things have more than one name.

Another point is that everyone is studying English now; and depending if one´s English Teacher is British or Canadian, American, and lesser Irish or Australian, can also have an effect on the vocabulary and names of foods etcetra ...

Kind regards,
Margi.

I stab it with my fork and when I'm lucky, it breaks the top piece of pastry and I can get a mouthful on the fork. Often it scooshes out the sides. :LOL:

I know that this is a very old thread, but just in case it might still help someone to know:

The first thing to understand is that it's only in the USA that it's called a Napoleon. Nobody else(where) in the world will have a clue what you're talking about.

In French, where the thing is from, it's called un millefeuille. (Actually, there is some controversy over whether it's properly called un millefeuille, un mille feuille, or un mille-feuille. There are even (French) illiterates who think it might be un mille feuilles, un mille-feuilles, or un mille-feuilles.

And just when you thought you were done with the French grammar/spelling lesson, I need to warn you NOT to confuse any of those pastry names with the (French) name of the Common Yarrow (flower/plant), which -- believe it or not -- is called in French La Millefeuille. (Its full name is L'Achillée Millefeuille, but people generally just call it la Millefeuille).

To summarize: Le Millefeuille is the pastry, la millefeuille is the flower. C'est logique!!

Now, if you look up "comment manger un millefeuille," you'll see that the French have just as much trouble as anyone else eating it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mille Feuille = A Napolean:

I divide the layers in half enabling easier slicing.

Then a Sharp knife & a fork ..

Gorgeous dessert ..

I know that this is a very old thread, but just in case it might still help someone to know:

The first thing to understand is that it's only in the USA that it's called a Napoleon. Nobody else(where) in the world will have a clue what you're talking about...

If you read a bit of the attached, you'll see the name Napoleon is more widespread than you thought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mille-feuille

The first thing to understand is that it's only in the USA that it's called a Napoleon. Nobody else(where) in the world will have a clue what you're talking about.

Living in Israel one would think that you've met plenty of Russians who do in fact call Napoleon - Napoleon. So, that's whole ex Soviet Union. 15 countries that is nowadays.

Live and learn. I truly (and obviously) had no idea. And sadly, I'm not sure I've ever seen one for sale in Israel.

Funny that the Russians would call the thing after a loser like Napoleon :). (loser to them, that is)

Live and learn. I truly (and obviously) had no idea. And sadly, I'm not sure I've ever seen one for sale in Israel.

Funny that the Russians would call the thing after a loser like Napoleon :). (loser to them, that is)

Looser or not, but in the Tzars days all nobility had nannies and cooks who were French. Russian cuisine is heavily affected by French cuisine. Famous gefilte fish came to Russia from France. ;)

Back
Top Bottom