How do you feel about bulk spices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Does anyone out there ever buy spices in bulk? I do. How do you guys decide from what store you'll get the bulk seasonings from? I usually just go to my local natural store. I've noticed that a lot of the stores here in Oregon carry a bulk brand called Frontier. I find that I like this better because it is cheaper.

I honestly don't know if I can tell the difference between a good spice (Penzeys, since everyone raves about them) vs. something from a bulk store or prepackaged from Krogers.

p.s. I just found out they opened a new Penzeys in Oregon. Yippeee, I'll finally get to try some of their seasoning!:)

I never buy spices in bulk.

Spices and dry herbs lose their begin to lose flavor immediately. I only buy what I can use in maybe 3 months. For some things (oregano, bay leaves) this may be a larger quantity than things like nutmeg or coriander.

I can't think of anything I use a quantity huge enough to justify buying in bulk. It'll just go stale on me.

Penzey's rocks. Always very fresh, which is the most important thing. And many times cheaper than the supermarket stuff.

Jenny, by bulk I mean the stuff you scoop out and can get as little or much as you want...not really the costco 5 pound bag. Once I bought 1 bay leaf, because that's what the recipe called for. It ended up not even registering on the scale so she gave it to me. :LOL:

i don't buy them in bulk, but have thought about it. i'm just worried that they'd lose flavor before i could use them up. i would buy sage in bulk, though, seeing as to how i use so much of it. maybe oregano and basil, too. i use a lot of oregano and basil in my cooking.

Do you think it's not as fresh since it's not sealed? That's what I've been trying to figure out. I think when i get to the Penzeys store, i will do an experiment and try to make something using the same seasoning in two different batches to see if I can taste the difference.

I only bought in bulk once...and that was about 4 years ago. 90% of what I bought is still in the cabinet.

Since I bought in bulk I've probably bought the same spices again 2 or 3 times. I somehow I always forget what I still have at home while I'm at the store:ermm:

htc, we buy ours the same way. Yes, they are fresher (bulk) than the prepackaged stuff. The prepackaged you have no idea how long it has been in the spice companies warehouse, the store warehouse, or how long it may have been on the shelf.

Plus buying the amount you need is more cost effective, and cheaper to purchase, as you aren't paying for all that packaging.

Where we buy ours (bulk store) you can carry your own containers (thus recycling) or get it in ziplock bags. Buying from the bulk stores is probably 2-3 times cheaper than the grocery store.

OK, so you are not buying IN bulk, but from a bulk supplier.

I get it now! :idea:

I have done that a few times from Whole Foods and wasn;t real impressed.

But I would do a smell/taste test with a common spice or herb versus supermarket and some place like Penzey's. You probably don't even have to cook with them.

Bet you will find a clear winner that way.

Keep in mind that oxygen is an enemy when it comes to spices so if the air is able to get at them then the quality is going down. Like Jenny said, when you go to Penzys you will be able to do a comparison. Let us know what you find out!

That happened to us. Bought some chili powered from the bulk store and used the same amount as the chili powder we had used at the store. Except it was way hotter than the time before. So we attributed it to the spices (from the bulk store) were fresher.

It's certainly cheaper to buy whatever quantity you want at a bulk rate, but I buy mine in my market, in bottles with seals. The only downside I see to buying in bulk, is you have your herbs/spices in a baggie, then what? I dont keep container on hand to store them, and dont want a bunch of baggies in my cupboard, and have to label them all. Where is that person that had questions on spices in terms of how to market them? He/she could certainly benefit from this conversation.

Raine said:
That happened to us. Bought some chili powered from the bulk store and used the same amount as the chili powder we had used at the store. Except it was way hotter than the time before. So we attributed it to the spices (from the bulk store) were fresher.

As far as I know, chili powder is not "hot", it's mearly a seasoning similar to cumin, which also is not hot. I could be wrong, I'm not expert at herbs/spices.

I'd say 90% of my spices are bought in bulk. But now is the time i get my cinnaninnum:) and all spice and cloves in bulk, because it would go to waste if i bought any earlier.

You know the holidays are just around the corner!:mrgreen:hee hee hee and :santa:ho ho ho

amber said:
As far as I know, chili powder is not "hot", it's mearly a seasoning similar to cumin, which also is not hot. I could be wrong, I'm not expert at herbs/spices.

Chili powder can be hot or mild or in between. It is a mixture of dried chiles, cumin, oregano, garlic and (usually) salt.

Raine -- if it was hotter, it was probably the proportion of chiles they used.

I keep lots of my stuff in Penzey's baggies. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Last edited:
I have bought from Frontier for years...I ran across them at an herb show for growers in Springfield, Il. They are very reasonably priced and of the highest quality.
What I do is make an order in the fall, take out what I need, then fill assorted jars with spices and herbs to put in my Christmas baskets. You could also go in together with one or more cooking friends and split them up.
I often buy the big jars of Tone's spices at Sam's. I love their garlic/herb seasoning.
I was also well-pleased with the spices I recently got from Marshalls Creek Spices. Found them on eBay, then they sent a price list with my order. The jars are almost as big as a quart of milk, most are $2.99 ea, and they are VERY fresh. You can find them at:
http://www.pureandnaturalspices.com/catalog/catalog/

Attachments

• spice express.gif
    spice express.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 124
I only buy bulk,but not at a bulk store,not that their not good,only because I've
been buying from a supplier that i know and has been supplying restaurants in my
area for years.You can ask where they buy their spices and find out what kind
of reputation that company has pretty easily.

One thing is for sure,prepackaged ground supermarket spices would be my last choice
and something I would do in an emergency situation only.

The biggest problem buying spices is not knowing how long they've been sitting
before you purchased them.And if your buying already ground spices,the possibility
your getting an above average quality spice is very slim.

I usually only buy spices whole and grind in small batches that might last a month,
and sometimes I'll grind just what I need for a particular recipe.And only buy enough
whole spices to last 6 months to a year.

A really good way to get quality is to visit a market that specializes in spices.For example in Toronto we have the St.Lawrence Market and Kensington Market also
China Town is another perfect place to pickup quite a few Asian spices.

Really don't do dried herbs with the exception of oregano.

I don't buy in bulk, but I buy from bulk at a gourmet or natural food store. THat way I'm only buying what I need for 6 months to a year. I ask what the turn over is. The gourmet store I usually frequent does a lot of catering so the herbs and sppices are not sitting there for years.

I also make use of bulk buy at Whole foods. Great meals and rices by the pound, much cheaper than packaged. Also, greater variety.

In NYC there are several spice shope where you can buy just the amount of spice you want. Because the turnover is so high, you are assured of getting fresh spices, fresher than you likely get in bottles at the super market. That is the only way I would buy spices in bulk: a very busy spice store

Back
Top Bottom