How do you keep chicken from getting too dry when baking in oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you asking about a whole chicken or parts?

In general, if it's dried out, it's been overcooked.

George, do you have an instant read thermometer? I use one and find that chicken parts that aren't crowded are done a lot quicker than that.

Chicken is one of those foods that we are cautioned to make sure they are cooked through to ensure salmonella is not an issue. As a result many folks cook it a little longer "just to be on the safe side". That's the chicken fries out.

There are two things you can do:

1. Brine your chicken parts
2. Use a thermometer to determine when they are done.

I find that boneless, skinless chicken breast, that isn't crowded takes 20-25 minutes to reach a safe temperature (74°C / 165°F). At that point, it isn't dry. Chicken with bones left in might take a little bit longer to reach that temperature. I bake thighs and drumsticks to a slightly higher temperature, because otherwise there may be pink bits near the bone.

Just came across this thread again, tell us georgevan, have you tried again? had better success lessening the time?

Could perhaps it have been a typo on the part of the recipe (or reader ;)) mistaking 45 for 25 minutes?

Curious minds want to know.

(that's me, I'm the curious mind :angel:)

Chef John had a recipe where he salted a whole chicken with kosher salt and then roasted it. I thought he put on a lot of salt but I tried it anyway. I was really surprised. The skin got crispy, the chicken itself was moist and very good, and it didn't taste oversalted.

Whether kosher salt would work on chicken parts, though, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom