How do you like your chili?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairygirl69

Senior Cook
With or without beans? Red, verde, Texas, or Cincinnati style. Rice, spaghetti, cheese, onions, sour cream, Fritos, or tortilla chips? Be nice, don't be a chili snob, all chilis are welcome in the eyes of the Almighty.

I like white bean-chicken chili. Never did like red chili. It usually has too much chili powder for my taste.

I had that before in the form of Aztec chowder at a restaurant in Columbus Ohio. Delicious with pepper jack cheese broiled on top but hot,hot, hot!

I like a bowl of red or green chili. I put kidney beans and not much tomato in the red. Minced onions and shredded cheese for toppings.

I love red chili with beans over spaghetti, topped with onion and cheese. Sometimes with sour cream depending on my mood. BUT it can't be Cincinnati chili. I put a little bit of Saigon Cinnamon in my chili but it's less harsh so you wonder what's in the background rather than getting strong cinnamon which I just don't like.

..........what Pacanis said !!

1386-0807-0914-4333.jpg

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways, err, um oh yah we are talking chili!;) Same diff, I love so many chili variations, I don't think I can count them. I do love me some true "Texas Red" the best. The spicier the better!:yum:

What I don't like are some of the weird concoctions people call chili that aren't even close.

Chili is definitely one of those very personal dishes that people become very passionate about.

For me it is about the toppings, cheese, green onions, black olives, sour cream, corn chips etc...

I think they refer to it as Ohio eight way chili.

Last edited:
Love chili. Most chili. We tried a few at a local cookoff that I didn't care for, one was all heat and no flavor, some others were just bland. Pace Picante Sauce has a TNT recipe for chicken chili. I like beans in my chili, and cocoa powder is a nice addition.

My favorite toppings include sour cream, green onions, cheddar cheese, crushed corn chips, or plain old saltines.

Last edited:
Chili is definitely one of those very personal dishes that people become very passionate about.

For me it is about the toppings, cheese, green onions, black olives, sour cream, corn chips etc...

I think they refer to it as Ohio eight way chili.

I love every one of those toppings and should really start jazzing up my chili. I guess that means that chili for me is more about the chili.
I think I'll take a bag of chili out of the freezer tonight (for tomorrow) and add three or four of those items to it tomorrow :yum:

it depends on how i'm gonna eat it.

in a bowl (bread bowls are even better), it's with beans: pinto, kidney, northern, black - whatever i have on hand. that's the spirit of chili, the way the first cowboys or vaqueros did.
mine is usually diced, not ground meat, bell peppers, onions, garlic, tomato paste, wine, s&p, brown sugar, ground dried chiles, and cumin.

but if it's chili for a topping, like on a hot dog, then no beans. just ground meat, water, onions, tomato paste, s&p, brown sugar, and ground dried chiles.

pacanis said:
I never met a bowl of chili I didn't like.

Nor I.

I do prefer sans beans for chili dogs.

A bowl of chili...? Cheese, sour cream, red onion, habanero flakes and a nice crusty cheddar jalapeno loaf for sopping.

I buy a variety of Penzey's chili powders. I really appreciate that Penzey lists the ingredients in their powders and I use their ingredient lists as a guide for supplementing their powders.

With or without beans? YES!
Red, YES!
Verde YES!
Texas YES!
Cincinnati style YES!
Rice, spaghetti, cheese, onions, sour cream, Fritos, or tortilla chips? YES!

I love me some chili!

I'm with Hoot. I like pretty much all styles of Chili. More often than not, we have black bean chili. I make it with some meat added, but it's mostly beans. It's nice and filling without a ton of calories.

This is a secret recipe not usually shared with those who weren't lucky enough to be born in the Lone Star State, but in the interest of furthering understanding and promoting cultural exchange, I'll share it publicly this once...after all it's not your fault.

OFFICIAL STATE OF TEXAS

Texas Red Chili

The official food of The State of Texas is chili. A sure fire method to start an argument in Texas is to talk about chili. This recipe is quite simply known as Texas Red. In a rare meeting of both houses, The Texas State Legislature has unanimously decreed that: "Texas Red shall be composed of only meat and sauce. There are no beans, no rice, no noodles, nor any other fillers in this dish. This meat will be beef. No pork, chicken, rabbit or any other non beef ingredient shall now, or ever be used in Texas Red. This chili will be hot and spicy. Hot enough to make a seasoned cowhand sweat in February or small children cry at the very mention of the dish"

INGREDIENTS
2 pounds ground beef or chili grind chuck, sub 1/4" cubes of chuck if desired
1 14.5 can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups chicken stock or water
1/4 cup red chili powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin, ground
1 teaspoon cayenne, rounded (to taste)
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or bacon grease.
Salt and pepper to taste.

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Heat oil or bacon grease in a enameled cast iron dutch oven over medium heat.
Crumble in meat, break up any lumps with a wooden spoon and cook, stirring
occasionally until meat is well browned. Drain off all fat and return meat to pot.
2. Add flour and stir to coat beef continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add remaining dry
ingredients and stir into mixture. Add liquids and simmer on low heat covered for at least
1 hour, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Increase heat to medium and uncover
and continue to simmer an additional hour. Add additional liquids as needed achieve
desired consistency. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
3. Serve with cheddar or jack cheese.

Thanks, .40. I'll have to look for the recipe of Tx Red I made and see how it compares.

Back
Top Bottom