How long is salsa good for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BreezyCooking said:
Now wait a minute. I'm not trying to "not be nice". But if someone posts that a fresh-fruit mango salsa is good to eat after sitting in the fridge for over a year, I reserve the absolute right to counterpost that that's a definite route to food poisoning. Not to mention - salt or not - that I can't believe it wouldn't be unappetizingly green.

If you take the time to scroll back thru these posts, I specifically asked CharlieD if perhaps his recipe was more of a chutney or pickle. I didn't recieve any response.

I'm not trying to be nasty - just trying to keep someone else reading these posts from thinking that a fresh-fruit salsa is edible after a year in the fridge. Like I said in my last post - food poisoning is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

CharlieD said he tasted his Mango Salso after it had been in his fridge for over a year. Even though it might be over on the "Ukranian Foods" thread, perhaps he might want to repost it here. It might very well be more of a chutney or preserve - but a salsa it cannot be. Not if it was still good to eat after a year.

Again - I'm not trying to be unpleasant. I'm just trying to keep someone from ending up sick.

Sorry.

Ok, so CharlieD gets 2 timeouts and you get one, lol.:)

Wait a minute, now I have something to say in my defense. I said that it was a simple salsa recipe I picked up from a local news paper. And I said that I though that the reason it kept for so long was the fact that it had salt. I said, that what I was thinking. I did not know why it kept for so long. I do not have the recipe for it, it was one time deal. Salsa was not pickled. It had bunch of fresh veggies plus mango, plus salt that is it. It was not cooked in any way.
Not that I am trying to be not nice either, but those are simple facts. Nothing to it. No double talk, no hidden ingredients. Simple mater of fact. I made salsa, it was too hot, I did not like it (I rarely eat salsa. Mostly it’s for my wife) I put in the refrigerator, and forgot about it, nearly a year later I took it out look at it and it looked fine, it smelled fine, it tasted fine, it was not as potent as originally, there was no problem with it at all. Since nobody was going to eat it anyway I did dumped at that point. I don’t know why I am being accused of all mortal sins here. Breezy Cooking is just not a handle person who takes everything so seriously should be using, this is not the first time I am saying this, this is not the first time we are having this kind of conversation. I am trying to defend my self without ever having done anything wrong, without ever having said anything wrong.

Come on here. I should be getting only one time out and Breezy Cooking should get 2. :rolleyes:

As far as Ukrainian recipes goes it was completely different product I was talking about.

O.K. having said all of that, of course, food poisoning should be on everybody’s mind, that is just simply common sense, and if that salsa looked in anyway suspicious, I would have never touched the darn thing. There ...

Nope, you were more abrasive. The use if the word duh constitutes an additional timeout. I'm really only kidding since I wield no authority here. Just be nice. If you can't be nice at least try to be nice!

Whoa - lighten up CharlieD. The only reason you & I seem to go head to head is that you seem to go immediately ballistic & defensive when someone disagrees with you.

If you're willing to taste a salsa that's been in your fridge for over a year, that's certainly your perogative, but it certainly isn't something that anyone else should do.

The only other time I can recall the two of us going head-to-head is when you insisted that using spaghetti noodles in a layered baked casserole was still "Lasagne". I disagreed, saying that layering spaghetti with other ingredients made it just a baked pasta casserole - that "Lasagne" meant a pasta dish made with "lasagne" noodles. You complained - & I was admonished by the admins here, which I accepted, but, quite frankly didn't think was right. Sorry - it might just be semantics but I hold my ground - both with "Lasagne" & intimating that salsa won't kill you after being in the fridge for a year.

I'm not being mean or nasty; never used abusive terms or tried to make you out to be a bad guy/cook whatever. You, on the other hand, just can't seem to take an opposing opinion in good grace.

Last edited:
Breezy,
You get another timeout for bringing another thread into the "discussion." One minute for every year old you are (that is how we do it for my son).

I am closing this thread. This has gotten way out of hand. I think you both need to step back and look at what you have said to each other from the other persons point of view. Neither of you were particularly nice to each other and thus this thread is now closed.

Angie if you feel that you have not gotten the answer you were looking for then please feel free to start a new thread with the same question. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom