How often do you make (and have) dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guts said:
My newest found dessert is; a Kahlúa over some good vanilla ice cream. Great for those hot nights of summer.

Try that in a blender - YUM!

I make a dessert once every 2 or 3 years whether we need it or not! :LOL: This more than likely will be something associated with Thanksgiving i.e., pumpking pie, pecan pie, Slice of Sin.

I enjoy baking so I usually make something
at least once a week. I do like something
sweet an hour or so after dinner. Sometimes
its just a hard peice of candy. Dang sweet tooth!

Not too big on sweets, but as of late, I have really enjoyed having some ice cream at night. Good ol neopolitan, nothing fancy.

However, I will NOT pass up on malted milk balls. I LOVE those things!

Hmmm rarely here, usually on special occaisions or when company's coming... sometimes some fruit later in the night as a snack...

We only do dessert for special occasions and company or to take to potlucks. It's funny but the dessert section of my recipe box is about twice the size of the main dish/entree section! I keep some Hershey's dark chocolate with almonds nuggets in the pantry for those sweet tooth times. One of those is enough for me.

unfortunately...there's not much room left for dessert, even if we go out lol

I feel like some dessert now..something very chocolatey..mmmmm
I have room now...now would be good...very good mmmm

Hello Survivor Girl:)

I only make deserts, on special occasions too. Sometimes, I also make them on Sunday.
I watch my waistline. I like looking slim, as much as I like eating.

Mel

To me, any meal must be honored at the end with a sweet note.
Most of the time, fruit is the sweet that finishes our meals.
However, I prepare a dessert at least once a week.
It can be a cake, something simpler or a fancier but I believe this helps make life sweeter and educates my girls' taste with more than just ice cream or cookies.

SurvivorGirl said:
I was just wondering is having dessert every night (or close to it) more of an American thing to do?
I don't know about it being an American thing. Growing up (in the US), we nearly always had some sort of dessert. As we moved away from home, both my parents, myself, and my siblings went to--for the most part--having dessert only on special occasions. My sister--the only one of us siblings with children--has regressed to dessert each day. So, anecdotally, I would say that dessert in the US is mostly for families with children. On the other hand, my grandparents had some sort of dessert each night of their long lives. So, my conclusion is that having dessert after meals has to do with whether you have children, whether you've been raised in the early 1900s, if you are having a meal celebrating a special occasion, or if you want some. Personally, I enjoy dessert, but I like dinner more. When faced with the choice of more dinner or having dessert, the dessert must be extraordinarily appealling to win out. I will admit, though, to enjoying a bit of fruit some time after dinner. (Note: Being a Yankee, I know that pie is for breakfast!)

mudbug said:
really, elfie - do you want to be on your deathbed wishing you'd eaten more fruit cocktail?

Well, I now know what dessert isn't!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks - my hips thank you too!:LOL: Since it's not going to be fruit cocktail anymore I guess I'll have to go for the chocolate with chocolate topping on a plate of chocolate with a side of chocolate sauce!

And, having lived in America MOST of my life we hardly ever had dessert - I think it's an individual thing versus anything else.

Last edited:
I make something sweet at least once a week. Normally we eat a small piece after supper and I'll send the rest with dh to work the next day to share. I just enjoy baking and trying new recipes, but I don't want the sweets hanging around tempting me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom