How often do you "play with your food?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My dad used to tell me to go and cuddle the dinner... Yeah we knew which calf and which pig was ours at the neighbours farm and happy animals makes better meat.

Just thought of another scenario for me. Any time the garden is producing, it kinda dictates what my available ingredients are at any given time. So, I often have to be creative with what i got. Can get tiresome having the same dishes day after day, so in order not to get sick of what i got , its either preserve it, or be creative.

To me, its my favorite time of year. Its always an adventure strolling through the garden, not knowing exactly whats for dinner

Playing with food and hitting some home runs from time to time is a process/skill I wish to develop. It would be cool to be able to just take whatever is on hand and make something good with it.

Do you think you just develop a sense of what should work over time by doing lots and lots of cooking or is there some short cuts to make the learning process quicker and more successful?

It definitely developed over time, for me. I just developed an instinct for what things taste like. It is not a perfect instinct, but reasonably reliable.

One tip... as you put together a dish, taste a little bit of the individual ingredients, especially herbs and spices. Taste each herb and spice by itself. Over time, those tastes will stick in your head.

CD

Playing with food and hitting some home runs from time to time is a process/skill I wish to develop. It would be cool to be able to just take whatever is on hand and make something good with it.

Do you think you just develop a sense of what should work over time by doing lots and lots of cooking or is there some short cuts to make the learning process quicker and more successful?
I think you can short-cut the process. I love this book for tips like that, plus recipes using the tips.

https://www.amazon.com/Ruhlmans-Twenty-Techniques-Recipes-Manifesto/dp/0811876438

Just yesterday I thought about trying something different. I was thinking some Mexican, but with pasta. Then I thought, I don't think I've ever heard of any meatballs using Mexican or southwest flavors. So I made some chili sauce with Rotels, poblanos, onions, garlic, cumin, dried oregano, beef stock and chili powder. The meatballs were made with ingredients typical of Mexican cuisine. Today I'll finish as a casserole with pasta and cheese, baked in the oven. I partially baked the meatballs in the oven. If it comes out well, the next time I will tweak it some to see if it can be improved.

That's the kind of stuff I also like to do. Mexican spaghetti, or Italian tacos kind of stuff. It is rare that I turn out something I can't eat, but I have a dog, so it doesn't go to waste. LOL

I do often turn out something good, that needs tweaking. And, sometimes I turn out something that doesn't suck, but I decide I won't make again. :chef:

CD

I think you can short-cut the process. I love this book for tips like that, plus recipes using the tips.

https://www.amazon.com/Ruhlmans-Twenty-Techniques-Recipes-Manifesto/dp/0811876438

Great book! I bought it as soon as it was available. I also have his book, Charcuterie. Michael Ruhlman is very knowledgable, and very thorough.

I also like the episodes of Anthony Boudain's shows he has done. The Las Vegas episode was a spoof on Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson.

CD

Very often. :) I live alone and cook for one 90% of the time so I like to think up ways to re-purpose things and make them work for leftovers in another way.

I don't have a garden, but I grow tomatoes, green onions, and a few different kinds of herbs in pots on the patio. We have a very nice farmers market here in my small town so when I go there on Sundays and impulse buy :ermm::LOL:, I try to make whatever I bought work with what I already have. Sometimes that means a lot of playing around, but it's fun.

I admit I also play with my food with garnishes. Even if it's just me sitting down to dinner by myself, I love to make already colorful food look prettier with a sprinkling of chopped parsley, chives, or a little extra cilantro if it's a Mexican dish. That only works if you love cilantro, which I do.

Many many moons ago, I found out to be careful with herbs. I made a tomato bisque for the first time that called for basil. I thought well, if some is good, more is better. :ohmy: It ruined the soup and turned me off basil for years. :LOL: Not long after that, I did the same thing by using too much rosemary for a lamb dish. :LOL: Playing with food and experimenting is the best way to learn.

This popped up in my Facebook memories today. No idea what's in it - I'm assuming Asian flavors, based on the rice noodles and sesame seeds - but it sure looks good :yum:

Forgot the pic and the app won't let me edit the post to add it.
FB_IMG_1490367658054.jpg

Well, there was the time I made sloppy Joe sauce from scratch. This was way before the Internet.

I was just sure it was supposed to have cinnamon, and lots of it.

I still get teased about it every time I cook.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom