How often do you try a new recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I apologize to everyone because I should have been clearer. I was just asking about recipes people hadn't made before. But I don't think it matters whether you're making new recipes you haven't tried before or experimenting with old ones you haven't tried before, it comes to the same thing in the end. And if you're getting paid to make new recipes like CWS, you're doing what the rest of us are doing, just on a larger scale. Same difference. :)

I'm a big fan of easier and cheaper, but now that I broke the bank with all those spices that stare at me accusingly every time I walk into the kitchen, I look for recipes that need lots of "things" in them, but only as long as I have them, can afford to buy them if I don't, and will use them again.

Unfortunately, saffron's out.

Saffron doesn't have to be out. Go to Trader Joe's. I got a small bottle (has a cork in the top) for a VERY good price. A small bottle goes a long way when all you need are several strands. Don't cheat yourself out of saffron. You can get Trader Joe foods on Amazon now. Not sure if they have saffron.

I try out two new recipes a month...most of the time I fall back on quick and easy favorites. Right now I am working my way through a Mexican Cookbook.
I have gotten addicted to Mexican hot chocolate this winter...and I have been making smoked cactus chips. The cacti leaves are a pain to peel, but the smoked chips are so good. I buy something new to try when I have to shop for the week's recipes. I know all the specialty and ethnic stores in Ottawa. Thai Dill? Delicious in scrambled eggs.

Saffron doesn't have to be out. Go to Trader Joe's. I got a small bottle (has a cork in the top) for a VERY good price. A small bottle goes a long way when all you need are several strands. Don't cheat yourself out of saffron. You can get Trader Joe foods on Amazon now. Not sure if they have saffron.
I was told to keep safron in the freezer. Ditto with fennugreek seeds and curry with fennugreek seeds in it. If you see methi (fennugreek leaves) they are delicious steamed and dry ones (and fresh if you can get them--they are available fresh now at the Indian Markets) add a nice top note to poultry, fish, and egg dishes.

I'm not a big fan of flying, so although I travel frequently, its usually within a few states.
Therefore, my way of " Traveling" is trying new recipes from different cuisines, cultures, countries, regions .....

Getting whole new flavor profiles is the best, cause sometimes things get so routine, even if you have enough regular dishes that don't repeat for months.

Its fun to try new spices, or new ingredient combinations , or just some new fruit or vegetable that you may never have seen before. Places like trader joes, whole foods, any specialty store (Mexican, Asian, Indian, Middle eastern) can provide new ingredients that will inspire a whole new direction.

Sure, I wish I could visit some of these places first hand, but taking a culinary journey by trying new recipes isn't too bad either :), which is why I try at least once a week to do something I've never done before.

(the internet also makes it quite a bit easier than the good old days, but then again, it was a lot of fun ' working for it' too)

I have gotten addicted to Mexican hot chocolate this winter...and I have been making smoked cactus chips. The cacti leaves are a pain to peel, but the smoked chips are so good. I buy something new to try when I have to shop for the week's recipes. I know all the specialty and ethnic stores in Ottawa. Thai Dill? Delicious in scrambled eggs.

When I lived in Texas, the woman across the street asked me if I was going to harvest all the cactus growing in my yard. I told her she was welcome to them. She collected everyone of them. Then she tried to show me how she used them. I am not fond of prickly cactus thorns stabbing me. She had special gloves she wore when she had a lot to prepare. But as a rule she just handled them with her bare hands. :angel:

I'm not a big fan of flying, so although I travel frequently, its usually within a few states.
Therefore, my way of " Traveling" is trying new recipes from different cuisines, cultures, countries, regions .....

Getting whole new flavor profiles is the best, cause sometimes things get so routine, even if you have enough regular dishes that don't repeat for months.

Its fun to try new spices, or new ingredient combinations , or just some new fruit or vegetable that you may never have seen before. Places like trader joes, whole foods, any specialty store (Mexican, Asian, Indian, Middle eastern) can provide new ingredients that will inspire a whole new direction.

Sure, I wish I could visit some of these places first hand, but taking a culinary journey by trying new recipes isn't too bad either :), which is why I try at least once a week to do something I've never done before.

(the internet also makes it quite a bit easier than the good old days, but then again, it was a lot of fun ' working for it' too)

Unfortunately as I have allowed old age to creep up on me, my tummy has not been very kind to me. So now my diet is somewhat limited to the demands of my tummy and digestive system. :angel:

I think it's a dream job :) I have no doubt you're a good cook.
I think of food all the time. I "cook" in my sleep, when I am vacuuming, when I am cooking. It doesn't mean I cook all the time, but I think about food all the time. It doesn't pay as much as I like, but it keeps my brain engaged.

I can't give you a hard and fast number. But whenever I have the energy, I have a very very very very VERY very very very very long list of recipes I want to try.
I will NEVER get around to actually trying even a tenth of what I have bookmarked, but a girl/guy can dream, can't she? LOL!

Add a few very's and I might stay behind you enough to see your taillights. ;)

I want to attempt "oh so much" but time and expense causes me to fall back on tried and true.

I'm not unhappy with what I eat but I'd love to expand it as best I can.

You know the story. "The grass is always greener." :chef:

So which recipes have knocked your purple socks off?

Homemade enchilada sauces, empanadas. The different spice blends from each state in Mexico. They all have things unique to the area. Made a to die for Ceviche, I loved it, Shrek wouldn't touch it.

Homemade enchilada sauces, empanadas. The different spice blends from each state in Mexico. They all have things unique to the area. Made a to die for Ceviche, I loved it, Shrek wouldn't touch it.

I'm on my way to WY. Love a good ceviche :yum:

I wake up, grab my first cup of coffee, take care of a few morning necessities and sit down at the computer. This is the first thread I open.

What a great way to start out the day. Lots of funny banter between friends. Thank you for starting my day off with a laugh or two. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom