How should I store Olive Oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terryfox

Assistant Cook
Hi ... How should Olive Oil be kept ? I am using a Oil base bottle and I am wondering if I should put it inside the fridge or keep it out from the fridge ?

Thanks

I don't put olive oil in the refrigerator. It needs to be in a cool place, like a pantry, but not in the fridge.

I use either a can or a dark green or brown bottle to keep mine in. Light is not a friend to oils.

One basic thing to remember about olive oil is that it is constantly oxidizing as a result of age, heat, air and light exposure. Always store olive oil in a dark glass bottle or stainless steel container. Do not store in plastic bottles because olive oil is very reactive and if in contact with plastic will take on the properties of the plastic container. Place the container in dark places and in areas that are slightly cooler than room temperature. Tightly close the container when you are not using it. Always check the date on the bottle and don't buy oil, which has been bottled for more than 9 months. Do not refrigerate olive oil, the condensation can mix with the oil and make the final result less flavorable.

I hope this will help you.

Thank You!

...Do not store in plastic bottles because olive oil is very reactive and if in contact with plastic will take on the properties of the plastic container....
I buy olive oil in plastic bottles all the time, and have done so for several years. I store the oil in the bottle it came in. I've never had any such problem.

Back
Top Bottom