"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2021, 05:06 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 321
How to break an egg?

I have been breaking and frying sunny side egg for 10+ years but I am still unable to break an egg nicely, most of the time there is some egg shell, I don't understand why some people can break an egg with one hand and do not worry about the egg shell. (I don't have too much egg shell but there is almost always one or two pieces)

What is the secret of breaking an egg?

kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:09 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,796
I break it against a flat surface, not an edge. Use just enough force to break the shell but not shatter it.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:29 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 11,077
Have you ever noticed that, if you are going to scramble the egg, the yolk never breaks when you crack it open?
__________________
The older I get, the harder it is to tolerate STUPID!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:38 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 14,967
I have a cheap paring knife from Walmart. I gently cradle the egg in one hand and crack the shell with the spine of the knife. It usually makes a nice clean break.
__________________
"Let things taste of what they are." ~ Alice Waters
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:56 PM   #5
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Have you ever noticed that, if you are going to scramble the egg, the yolk never breaks when you crack it open?
yes, because I have no worry about breaking the yolk, worry-free hand always breaks a perfect egg.
but egg shell has no difference
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:01 PM   #6
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 11,515
We have farm fresh, unwashed eggs gathered by a relative. Before cracking them, I wash the shells. My issue is that no matter how gently I let the egg fall out of the shell, the yolk breaks 9 times out of ten. I never have issues with the yolks breaking from store bought eggs. These eggs come in multiple colors, and would be considered as large size. The shell colors include light blue, cream , light brown, dark brown, and white.

It's impossible to make meringues, or any foods where the yolks need to be separated from the whites.

Shells aren't my issue. With these eggs, broken yolks are.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:13 PM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Termy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 303
I smack it with the side of a fork.

T
Termy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:15 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
We have farm fresh, unwashed eggs gathered by a relative. Before cracking them, I wash the shells. My issue is that no matter how gently I let the egg fall out of the shell, the yolk breaks 9 times out of ten. I never have issues with the yolks breaking from store bought eggs. These eggs come in multiple colors, and would be considered as large size. The shell colors include light blue, cream , light brown, dark brown, and white.

It's impossible to make meringues, or any foods where the yolks need to be separated from the whites.

Shells aren't my issue. With these eggs, broken yolks are.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
You just shouldn't break with one hand if you are not sophisticated enough.
I always crack an egg with two hands and no problems with the yolk but the problem is the shell. 9 out of 10 times some tiny pieces of shell falls
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:36 PM   #9
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 11,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
You just shouldn't break with one hand if you are not sophisticated enough.
I always crack an egg with two hands and no problems with the yolk but the problem is the shell. 9 out of 10 times some tiny pieces of shell falls
I've been breaking eggs for years, both with two hands, and one handed, gently breaking against a flat surface, I've never had issues with yolks breaking, except with these eggs.

Even the Cornish crosses, which were meat chickens, that I raised never gave me issues. I wonder if its the chicken feed that is being used that creates a weak membrane around the yolk.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:41 PM   #10
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Caracas
Posts: 893
Well I commiserate, because 4 times out of 10, my eggs never break properly either!
karadekoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:54 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 48,301
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:03 AM   #12
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I've been breaking eggs for years, both with two hands, and one handed, gently breaking against a flat surface, I've never had issues with yolks breaking, except with these eggs.

Even the Cornish crosses, which were meat chickens, that I raised never gave me issues. I wonder if its the chicken feed that is being used that creates a weak membrane around the yolk.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I did NOT mean the yolk. My yolk is always perfect. I mean there are always pieces of egg shell falling into the egg mixture!
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:21 AM   #13
Master Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Waterdown, Ontario
Posts: 5,515
kenny, I agree, sometimes no matter how you break the shell, there will be pieces that fall into the egg.

I don't often have it happen, usually does when I'm in a hurry - and maybe that is the reason.

I prefer using a sharp edge to break the shell, either a knife with egg in hand, or on the edge of pan, etc. I truly prefer this to a flat surface. Reason is a flat surface creates a circular pattern of shattered shell. An edge has more of a tendency to create a line crack, sometimes even two taps.

But it is with practice you get the right amount of pressure with your whack.

With the line crack the shell is easier to split in half around the equator so to speak.
A circular crack means you have to apply more pressure to open the shell and you don't always get an even break around. This creates more cracks in the shell and more chance of a loose piece falling in.

All this is just my HO.

Another thought is just how many whacks are you giving your shell to open? One is generally enough, two on occasion. Three, I should think, you are starting to pulverize the shell too much.

My last suggestion is - always crack your egg into a separate container. You can then fish out the shell if necessary. Much easier to do than watch it in a hot pan or slide down the flour and butter in the bowl.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:33 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 10,266
Use a flat edge, like your countertop
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:44 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12,457
Crack on flat surface. One medium sharp thump should give you a clean crack to pull apart. If she’ll goes in use a large piece of shell to fish it out.
__________________
All our times have come. Here, but now they're gone.
Seasons don't fear the reaper.
Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain.
We can be like they are.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:47 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 26,554
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
kenny, I agree, sometimes no matter how you break the shell, there will be pieces that fall into the egg.

I don't often have it happen, usually does when I'm in a hurry - and maybe that is the reason.

I prefer using a sharp edge to break the shell, either a knife with egg in hand, or on the edge of pan, etc. I truly prefer this to a flat surface. Reason is a flat surface creates a circular pattern of shattered shell. An edge has more of a tendency to create a line crack, sometimes even two taps.

But it is with practice you get the right amount of pressure with your whack.

With the line crack the shell is easier to split in half around the equator so to speak.
A circular crack means you have to apply more pressure to open the shell and you don't always get an even break around. This creates more cracks in the shell and more chance of a loose piece falling in.

All this is just my HO.

Another thought is just how many whacks are you giving your shell to open? One is generally enough, two on occasion. Three, I should think, you are starting to pulverize the shell too much.

My last suggestion is - always crack your egg into a separate container. You can then fish out the shell if necessary. Much easier to do than watch it in a hot pan or slide down the flour and butter in the bowl.
You got me thinking. I switched to the "crack it on a flat surface method", when I kept reading about it from usually reliable sources. I didn't have a lot of luck with that. I figured I needed to practise. Then, I forgot that I was still testing out the method and just kept doing it. Now, it has been long enough. I think it worked better when I cracked the egg on a sharp surface. Time to try that out again.

I was taught to always crack the egg into a different container first, usually a small bowl. One bad egg was enough to convince me that the egg should always be cracked into that small bowl before being added to ingredients. Making it easier to fish out bits of shell is a bonus. I haven't had a bad egg in decades, but I still crack eggs into a bowl first.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:52 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 48,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...I was taught to always crack the egg into a different container first, usually a small bowl. One bad egg was enough to convince me that the egg should always be cracked into that small bowl before being added to ingredients...

I think that logic was more important years ago. I cannot remember an occasion when I cracked open an egg that was bad.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:56 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 26,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think that logic was more important years ago. I cannot remember an occasion when I cracked open an egg that was bad.
Same, although I'm more careful when I get eggs from a neighbor. I don't know enough about raising hens to know what makes for a bad egg. Is it just that it's old, or is there something else going on? Usually the eggs I get from neighbors have not been washed or refrigerated.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:18 AM   #19
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think that logic was more important years ago. I cannot remember an occasion when I cracked open an egg that was bad.
Ive had chickens fora at least a decade. Only once in all that time have I ever cracked an egg and it was bad ( and I mean REALY BAD. That was the day I learned the real significance of when someone says you smell like a rotten egg). Since then, if im using multiple eggs, I will break them in a separate bowl before adding. Im sure the egg industry is a lot more capable of weeding the bad ones out than I am, but if getting them fresh from your own ( or some else's chickens who is not in the business), better safe than sorry.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:18 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 10,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think that logic was more important years ago. I cannot remember an occasion when I cracked open an egg that was bad.

In 60 years of cracking eggs ive never encountered a bad one. I think it was more about fishing out bits of shell.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
egg, how to

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.