How to: Gravy from Pot Roast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I learned a few things from my mother too. Then I learned her way was not always the right way.
Sorry, I have been taught to not do this. That a roux or reduction is the right way to thicken. I was taught to never use flour and water.
I will try the flour and water shake up method, but if I end up with lumps, I know who to blame.....;)

RB, put a drop or two of Gravy Master in your slurry before you shake it. You will see if you have any flour that has not blended in. :angel:

I learned a few things from my mother too. Then I learned her way was not always the right way.
Sorry, I have been taught to not do this. That a roux or reduction is the right way to thicken. I was taught to never use flour and water.
I will try the flour and water shake up method, but if I end up with lumps, I know who to blame.....;)

RB, put a drop or two of Gravy Master in your slurry before you shake it. You will see if you have any flour that has not blended in. :angel:

Another hint is to add the slurry slowly, whisking as you pour to thoroughly mix it into your broth.

When you have a houseful of kids clammering to eat, you use the method that is the fast way to get it on the table. And I am not talking canned convenience foods. I have always cooked from scratch and will continue to do so. Sure I have the time now to go slow, but I am the one who is clammering to eat. now :angel:
Got all those T-shirts. Six kids all under twelve at one time.
I'm not trying to come across as 'superior' in the way.
I'm blessed to be able to follow my hobby. It's classic French home cooking mixed with some 'haute cuisine'.
I only put up info that I genuinely think may be of some benefit to the home cook.
Little tips like dextrinizing the flour makes such a difference to the final dish. It only takes a couple of minutes.

I'm blessed to be able to follow my hobby. It's classic French home cooking mixed with some 'haute cuisine'.
I only put up info that I genuinely think may be of some benefit to the home cook.
Little tips like dextrinizing the flour makes such a difference to the final dish. It only takes a couple of minutes.

My sister used to make gravy like you do. But then she didn't have as many kids as me.

If they were all under 12 at the same time, they probably were all teenagers at the same time. Good Luck! :angel:

I usually do it my Mom's way too, with the flour/water (sometimes broth/stock) slurry. I enjoy cooking "authentic" when I have time, other times I take shortcuts. There are times I must get the food on the table NOW because my blood sugar is dropping, resulting in one extremely crabby cook ready to toss things around. During those times, slurry is perfectly divine!

I never have lumps in my gravy. I bring the pan juices to a boil, then whisk like I'm mad about something as I drizzle in the liquid.

I've seen some people on TV use blenders or food processors to make their gravy. I have always thought that was far more trouble than it was worth. Does anyone has any experience with that method? :huh:

What is "dextrinizing the flour"? I expect I do know what it is, I just don't know it by this name. (And I may not be alone.)

What is "dextrinizing the flour"? I expect I do know what it is, I just don't know it by this name. (And I may not be alone.)

It means toasting the flour. I think it's fussy and adds a slight taste to gravy that's not unpleasant but ... Made it taste different somehow.

I tried it once or twice but didn't see the benefit.

It means toasting the flour. I think it's fussy and adds a slight taste to gravy that's not unpleasant but ... Made it taste different somehow.

I tried it once or twice but didn't see the benefit.

My sister taught me that method. I am with you Jenny. I didn't care for the gravy at all. Even though the flour was "cooked", it left me with a taste in my mouth that I didn't care for. I made it a couple of times more, and never again. I think the best tasting gravy is made with the slurry. Even though I spent a long time making sure the liquid absorbed the flour, it still tasted undone. When I lived down in Texas, I think I was the only one who didn't care for this method at all. And a few of my friends were surprised to learn that there was another way to make a good gravy. I think I made a few converts to the slurry method. :angel:

My sister taught me that method. I am with you Jenny. I didn't care for the gravy at all. Even though the flour was "cooked", it left me with a taste in my mouth that I didn't care for. I made it a couple of times more, and never again. I think the best tasting gravy is made with the slurry. Even though I spent a long time making sure the liquid absorbed the flour, it still tasted undone. When I lived down in Texas, I think I was the only one who didn't care for this method at all. And a few of my friends were surprised to learn that there was another way to make a good gravy. I think I made a few converts to the slurry method. :angel:

I'm a roux girl but both are simple and easily made foolproof with practice!

I promise to try your slurry method next time. I used it many many years ago...

I'm a roux girl but both are simple and easily made foolproof with practice!

I promise to try your slurry method next time. I used it many many years ago...

I put a glug of Gravy Master in the flour/water slurry. It colors the gravy and I think it also adds flavor. You also can see if all of the flour got mixed in. If you see white speckles, then shake some more. I have always had a jar just for gravy slurry. It doesn't go up on a high shelf, but right there in front and labeled "For Gravy Only!" :angel:

My Mom would pour just a bit of black coffee into beef gravy. Boy, was it good that way! I don't do that because we never have coffee at supper. One of these days I have to remember to save a few ounces on a night I make a nice beef roast.

My Mom would pour just a bit of black coffee into beef gravy. Boy, was it good that way! I don't do that because we never have coffee at supper. One of these days I have to remember to save a few ounces on a night I make a nice beef roast.

How about adding a little instant espresso powder!

Kitchen Bouquet? Little bottle with yellow label? My ex MIL used it all the time. It looks like reduced Worcestershire sauce to me and smells like it too. I need to pick up a bottle next time I'm in the store.

Another hint is to add the slurry slowly, whisking as you pour to thoroughly mix it into your broth.

Yes, that would be a requirement I must assume.

A slurry using potato starch and liquid.

I have in a pinch used corn starch mixed with cold water.
But I do not like the sheen it gives the gravy.

My parents never threw away coffee. Especially espresso. My dad would save it in a little jar and reuse it as needed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom