How to measure butter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But is the European butter a consistent size and shape? And do some of them come with graduated markings?
The ones my store carries are all different shapes/sizes then the next. My store carries 3 different kinds and all three have their own shape and size.

Size and shape only matter if you're measuring by volume.
Size and shape would matter for vagriller to do this...

If that's the case I would take a stick of butter that is marked (and the wrapper was well aligned) and transfer the marks to the edge of a cutting board. Or something else with a straight edge. Then just line it up with the guide and cut as much as needed.

Not sure where our OP is from (Phillipines?) but the answer is no, butter is not always marked on the wrapper.

I travel frequently between Thailand and the Philippines where in both places, butter is normally sold in little blocks of 227g. In culinary school, we were taught to treat this as 1 cup of volume. I've never actually melted a block to confirm the 1 cup measurement but I've always used this 1-cup guideline to cut up the block into 1/2 C or 1/4 C or 1/8 C or 16 tablespoons. Has always turned out fine.

Depending on the brand, sometimes I would see measurement markings on the outside of the butter wrapper but I've never paid much attention to it because my method works perfectly for me (and the wrappers are not really aligned to the butter!)

I always thought 'stick of butter' is how butter is normally sold in the U.S. This would be a lengthwise half of our little 227g block which would make it one-half cup in volume measurement.

:chef:

I wouldn't worry about precision measuring of butter or most other ingredients for that matter. Go ahead and use a measuring spoon or cup and just come close. Trust me, you won't notice any difference.

I use a huge balancing scale and I get two big guys, one that weighs 299.75 lbs and one that weighs 300 lbs then I give the smaller man pats of butter until the scales are even. That way I know I have 1/4 lb of butter. Then I chuck the whole thing and buy cookies.

I use a huge balancing scale and I get two big guys, one that weighs 299.75 lbs and one that weighs 300 lbs then I give the smaller man pats of butter until the scales are even. That way I know I have 1/4 lb of butter. Then I chuck the whole thing and buy cookies.

I do something similar except I use beautiful women and don't use the butter in a recipe.

Man, I envy people with HUGE kitchens. I have a well appointed kitchen but there isn't much floor space.

Back
Top Bottom