How to tell if restaurant food is pre-made...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we're on road trips, we always look for something new, out of the way, or unique. That's part of the trip. We rarely go to chain joints when travelling.

At home, though, like after a day of holiday shopping, or when we're looking for appliances or furniture, we'll hit up a chain restaurant largely because it's quick and cheap and we probably just spent a lot of money earlier that day.

I've agreed to go to Olive Garden on occasion for $10 salad and pasta, or Cracker Barrel for $10 salty entrees, but I refuse to go to Crapplebees, or the Outhouse -Outback.

Ha! I have to double my blood-pressure medicine dosage if I eat at Cracker Barrel. They do like to use salt. :LOL:

CD

Ha! I have to double my blood-pressure medicine dosage if I eat at Cracker Barrel. They do like to use salt. :LOL:

CD

Oh my gosh, right Casey?
DH and I have cut salt pretty much out of our diet (I don't cook with much of it at all, more herbs and spices instead) but I think that Cracker Barrel is the biggest culprit of them all with the salt shaker.

When we're going to hit the road, I do research on the `Net, as others have made mention, prior to blast off. If there isn't anything along our route then I pack sandwich makings (but then I always do that anyways, just in case ;)). If we can't find a decent Rest Stop along the way, then I simply hop into the back seat, make up our lunch on paper plates and chow down in motion.
And once we do stop for the night in a hotel/motel, I always have at least one to two dinners ready for a quick micro-dinner in room, IF there isn't a Mom&Pop around and let me tell you, we've been to some places that there is NOTHING other than a fast-food-franchise-burger-joint. Cold scratch-homemade pizza is better than any of those characters. :LOL:

Oh my gosh, right Casey?
DH and I have cut salt pretty much out of our diet (I don't cook with much of it at all, more herbs and spices instead) but I think that Cracker Barrel is the biggest culprit of them all with the salt shaker.

When we're going to hit the road, I do research on the `Net, as others have made mention, prior to blast off. If there isn't anything along our route then I pack sandwich makings (but then I always do that anyways, just in case ;)). If we can't find a decent Rest Stop along the way, then I simply hop into the back seat, make up our lunch on paper plates and chow down in motion.
And once we do stop for the night in a hotel/motel, I always have at least one to two dinners ready for a quick micro-dinner in room, IF there isn't a Mom&Pop around and let me tell you, we've been to some places that there is NOTHING other than a fast-food-franchise-burger-joint. Cold scratch-homemade pizza is better than any of those characters. :LOL:

When I travel, there is one chain restaurant that is my guilty pleasure go-to. Waffle House. If I stay in a hotel close to a Waffle House, I know I'm going to have an artery-clogging, but sinfully good breakfast in the morning. I sit at the counter, where I get to watch my breakfast being cooked from scratch. I always get three eggs, scrambled (in butter), bacon, hash browns (cooked on the flat-top in butter) and toast (with more butter). That, and coffee.

CD

Last edited:
I have to tell this story. It cracks me up just to think about it.

I was in a Waffle House, I think it was in Louisiana -- it was somewhere in the deep South.

This guy walks in. He was about five-foot-six, and weighed at least 300 pounds. He sits a few stools down from me, and orders enough food to feed a family of four. I'm not exaggerating, the amount of food he ordered was insane. :ohmy:

To wash all that food down, he ordered...... a Diet Coke. :ROFLMAO:

And yes, he ate all of it. I couldn't leave without knowing.

CD

Casey, when we belonged to a couples' bowling league (the things parents to just to justify hiring a baby sitter...), the wife of the other couple would order a rum and Diet Coke. Himself asked "DIET Coke?" Her reply "I have to save calories somewhere!" :LOL:

When we're on road trips, we always look for something new, out of the way, or unique. That's part of the trip. We rarely go to chain joints when travelling...
Just to make it clear, we stop at chains while in transit for efficiency's sake. Once at our destination, we enjoy finding the good local spots. But the travel time? Get me from point A to point B unless we plan on staying somewhere along the way for longer than a travel meal.

You guys don't hit the road until like 4pm? I'd be sitting a thermos of coffee on his chest at like 10am and say "get up!". :LOL:
No, we're usually on the road by noon. :LOL: I think you're confusing the 4PM with the start of his work shift time back when he was still working.

We're retired. We don't drive straight-through to anywhere outside of New England. We eat breakfast in the car on Launch Day, at the hotel the mornings we're on the road. I also pack sandwiches, veggies, etc. as lunch food to eat at pit stops. Then we stop for supper...which we aren't ready for until about 8:00 PM. Mom and Pop restaurants are locking their doors around then, if not shortly after. We will not walk into a restaurant if we'd be the only people there once seated. I won't impose on a staff by making them hang around. Instead, we hit reliable chains.

Just to make it clear, we stop at chains while in transit for efficiency's sake. Once at our destination, we enjoy finding the good local spots. But the travel time? Get me from point A to point B unless we plan on staying somewhere along the way for longer than a travel meal.

If my goal is to get from point A to point B, I fly. I have a MINI CooperS, which is a blast to drive, but not a "point A to point B" kind of long distance cruiser.

When I have a job to do in Houston, I fly, and rent a car there. There is no viable route to drive other that I-45, which really, really sucks.

If I have a job in Austin or San Antonio, I drive my MCS, and take the back roads through the hill country, and I eat Hill Country BBQ along the way. It would take less time to drive I-35, AKA the NAFTA Highway, but I'm not doing that in any car I care about.

I am in the planning stages of driving from Dallas to Keystone in Colorado in July during the MINI Takes the States tour. I hope to eat some good food on the way up, but I will definitely eat well on the drive home. Breckenridge/Keystone was my home base back in my skiing days. I've done that drive many times.

I will probably stop in Amarillo for the night, and have a steak at the Big Texan... but not the 72 oz steak challenge. They do cook a good steak, but I can't even imagine eating 72 ounces of anything.

https://www.bigtexan.com

BTW, the current record holder for the 72oz steak challenge is a 5 foot 7 woman who weighs 125 pounds. 4 minutes 58 seconds. That is for a 72oz steak, a salad, a baked potato and a dinner roll.

CD

Last edited:
Casey, when we belonged to a couples' bowling league (the things parents to just to justify hiring a baby sitter...), the wife of the other couple would order a rum and Diet Coke. Himself asked "DIET Coke?" Her reply "I have to save calories somewhere!" :LOL:

No, we're usually on the road by noon. :LOL: I think you're confusing the 4PM with the start of his work shift time back when he was still working.

We're retired. We don't drive straight-through to anywhere outside of New England. We eat breakfast in the car on Launch Day, at the hotel the mornings we're on the road. I also pack sandwiches, veggies, etc. as lunch food to eat at pit stops. Then we stop for supper...which we aren't ready for until about 8:00 PM. Mom and Pop restaurants are locking their doors around then, if not shortly after. We will not walk into a restaurant if we'd be the only people there once seated. I won't impose on a staff by making them hang around. Instead, we hit reliable chains.

As a family, we aren't able to drive 3 hours without stopping for some reason. :(
Again, the ensuing argument about having to stop is also part of the trip

I've driven 9 hours non-stop in a blizzard home from Vermont with a coupla buddies in the car, but that's another story.

Casey, ever since I saw that Big Texan challenge on a foodie show I've wanted to try it. I used to eat a 2 lb. steak, salad, baked potato, and 1.5 litres of wine (cheapo white zinfandel) when I was a lonely, single guy on a Tuesday or Wednesday night off. Either that, or a salad, whole NYC sikzed pizza, and the wine.
Then I'd hit the pool for a half mile swim, or inline skate 20 miles the next day to work it off.

I think I could handle 72 ozs of steak now, but I'll probably need a wheelchair to get home, and BP meds right away.

Last edited:
As a family, we aren't able to drive 3 hours without stopping for some reason. :(
Again, the ensuing argument about having to stop is also part of the trip

I've driven 9 hours non-stop in a blizzard home from Vermont with a coupla buddies in the car, but that's another story.

Casey, ever since I saw that Big Texan challenge on a foodie show I've wanted to try it. I used to eat a 2 lb. steak, salad, baked potato, and 1.5 litres of wine (cheapo white zinfandel) when I was a lonely, single guy on a Tuesday or Wednesday night off. Either that, or a salad, whole NYC sikzed pizza, and the wine.
Then I'd hit the pool for a half mile swim, or inline skate 20 miles the next day to work it off.

I think I could handle 72 ozs of steak now, but I'll probably need a wheelchair to get home, and BP meds right away.

I've been The Big Texan about a half-dozen times over the years. The only reason to go to Amarillo is to get to someplace else, like going from Dallas to Colorado to ski, or to go camping in Palo Duro Canyon. I've done both of them often. The dining selection in Amarillo is not great. The Big Texan does grill up a pretty tasty steak.

So, if you ever decide to try the challenge, you will, at least, eat some good steak.

CD

What we do a lot when we're staying in a hotel or motel on the road is order delivery Chinese food or pizza.

I have to do all the driving so I'm usually tired when we check in. We just check Yelp for the local places that are good. Sometimes the clerk in the motel will know which local places have the best delivery food. They have takeout menus on hand.

But yeah, the chains you're used to are always an option.

Oh I guess some hotels have room service still. My friend from childhood, his dad was a chef at a local hotel. I remember eating a lot of yummy club sandwiches. They'd make up a certain amount for their room service menu, and whatever didn't sell he'd bring home for his own family.

I've been The Big Texan about a half-dozen times over the years. The only reason to go to Amarillo is to get to someplace else, like going from Dallas to Colorado to ski, or to go camping in Palo Duro Canyon. I've done both of them often. The dining selection in Amarillo is not great. The Big Texan does grill up a pretty tasty steak.

So, if you ever decide to try the challenge, you will, at least, eat some good steak.

CD

lol, yep not much in Amarillo. When my parents divorced in 1980, my dad moved to Amarillo to take a job as a mechanic, so I sort of grew up there and in my native California.

That 72 ounce steak is 4.5 pounds of steak AND all the fixings like shrimp cocktail, potato, salad, bread all of which also has to be eaten. So Buckytom's gonna have a challenge. lol. We ate there a lot, as we lived in the east part of Amarillo so it was only a few miles from our house.

We ate out a lot when we were in Texas with our dad. He wanted to get married to an attractive redhead woman, but he asked us if we minded if he got married and we selfishly told him we didn't want him to (loyal to our mom). Bratty kids. I feel bad now.

Plus she would've made us a lot of nice home cooked meals, instead of us eating at McDonald's most days. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I have to tell this story. It cracks me up just to think about it.

I was in a Waffle House, I think it was in Louisiana -- it was somewhere in the deep South.

This guy walks in. He was about five-foot-six, and weighed at least 300 pounds. He sits a few stools down from me, and orders enough food to feed a family of four. I'm not exaggerating, the amount of food he ordered was insane. :ohmy:

To wash all that food down, he ordered...... a Diet Coke. :ROFLMAO:

And yes, he ate all of it. I couldn't leave without knowing.

CD

To you it may be funny, not so much for me. :mad: Soft drink wise, I drink diet coke, because I hate the taste of regular coke. Everybody and their brother has a version of this story.:rolleyes:

I love real Coke from a soda fountain, or in glass bottles, but not so much from a can.

I usually drink Coke Zero in a can or plastic bottle, though. I'm not a big fan of Diet Coke, but I'll have that over any kind of Pepsi any day.

I love real Coke from a soda fountain, or in glass bottles, but not so much from a can.

I usually drink Coke Zero in a can or plastic bottle, though. I'm not a big fan of Diet Coke, but I'll have that over any kind of Pepsi any day.
I'm a Coke Zero guy, too..GF hates diet pops..I'll lie to her some times when she asks if it is regular pop so she can take a sip from my glass just to see her make a face...then, she makes another face which isn't as funny:mad::LOL:

I'm a Coke Zero guy, too..GF hates diet pops..I'll lie to her some times when she asks if it is regular pop so she can take a sip from my glass just to see her make a face...then, she makes another face which isn't as funny:mad::LOL:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: We went out for breakfast yesterday. For drinks I ordered a sweet tea and Karen an iced coffee. I squeezed some lemon into mine and Karen put cream in hers. Have you ever tasted iced coffee with lemon in it or sweet tea with cream in it? :ohmy: :sick:

To you it may be funny, not so much for me. :mad: Soft drink wise, I drink diet coke, because I hate the taste of regular coke. Everybody and their brother has a version of this story.:rolleyes:

I drink Diet Pepsi for the same reason. I think that all sugary soft drinks taste like pancake syrup. I also put rum in it on occasion. In a bar I order rum and diet.

That said, my drink of choice is water. I don't drink coffee or tea, I rarely drink any "sports" drinks. I have a big stainless steel Yeti knock off from Walmart that pretty much goes everywhere with me. I keep it filled with ice water, light on the ice.

Last edited:

Seriously? You took offense to that? Do you drink your Diet Coke with a week's worth of food at one meal?

CD

Seriously? You took offense to that? Do you drink your Diet Coke with a week's worth of food at one meal?

CD

No and I don't take your story seriously. Like I said everybody and their brother has a similar story. Those stories started more than 20 years ago. So, I don't put a lot of stock in yours.

No and I don't take your story seriously. Like I said everybody and their brother has a similar story. Those stories started more than 20 years ago. So, I don't put a lot of stock in yours.

So, I'm a liar? Gee, that's not offensive. :dry:

It really happened. I really saw it. Honestly, I had never heard anyone tell the same story before. But, I don't think I've met Everybody, or his brother. :-p

CD

As someone who is on the road a lot I have a few opinions on the subject.

Chain places do what they do to reduce cost, kitchen size, number of cooks, get the food out quickly and no need to hire chefs. All of these reduce the cost for a plate of food allowing them to sell at a lower cost to bring in people. Most of the chains listed in the thread make the money from alcohol.

For someone on the road chains have a place. Nutrition info is readily available if you care or need it (allergies etc). They usually have a bar area perfect when when I am alone. After a long day at work its great when they share the same parking lot as the hotel. Walk over have something to eat and drink, walk back to hotel.

Yelp: Yes I use it and have found some great places using it. But I have been burned way to many times. Went to a very highly rated Italian Mom and Pop in TN, would have preferred Chef Boyardee. Nice folks but the food sucked.

Breakfast: Most hotels I stay at have it but I get board with it and usually leave before its ready. Love it when a Waffle House is close by. Usually the Mom and Pop places are not open at 6 so usually can not hit them. Note on my days off if a First Watch is close by that is my first choice.

BTW: Most hash browns usually come in dehydrated not frozen. If you want hash browns like your favorite big chain place try using dehydrate potatoes. Hungry Jake one come in a small milk carton type box. Hydrate them the night before and store in the fridge over night.

Back
Top Bottom