How to thicken chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicacarr

Senior Cook
Say I have left over chili from supper and want to have some of the chili in a wrap for lunch the next day...how do I thicken it so as to make it 'wrap-able'?

Three great ways that I use:

1. add a couple tbs. of Masa Harina (corns flour used to make tortillas)
2. Break up a few fresh corn tortillas and stir into the cooking chili.
3. Add refried beans to the chili

Depending on the flavor you want, you can also thicken by stirring in grated cheese, a bit of flour-based roux, mixed with chorizo, or adding more veggies, or even rice.

Just a few ideas for you.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Say I have left over chili from supper and want to have some of the chili in a wrap for lunch the next day...how do I thicken it so as to make it 'wrap-able'?

The way I make my Chili it would not be a issue. I cook mine down till it is nice and thick.

You can always use a slurry of corn starch and water, mix it into the boiling chili.
Not as traditional as Masa, but will do the trick without adding any strange tastes.

Another vote for masa harina. I have also been known to buy some pre-made polenta (the kind that comes in the tube shape) and use that to thicken chili.

For some reason I've never had to thicken my chili (seriously!) but occasionally, just the opposite. I sometimes have to thin it. The only liquid that goes into my chili are the cans of zesty diced tomatoes and one 6 oz. can of tomato paste. That's it. I add the beef and spices and simmer in a crock pot for several hours. I may end up adding a 1/2 cup of beef broth, but not often.

I'd cook some spanish/brown/dirty rice and then re-fire it with your left-over chili.

Whether to thicken chili or not really depends on how you like your chili, and how you make it. A true bowl of Texas Red is dimply made with meat and spices, with maybe a touch of tomato. It is thick and rich without the need for any thickeners. If you make the kind of chili that is best known in my neck of the woods, then it is like chowder in texture, with a great tasting tomato broth, lots of beans and veggies, combined with meat and spices (and herbs too). It's served in a bowl, like soup. If you want to use the leftovers for buritoes, or with anything that needs a thicker consistancy, then you have to add something to thicken it.

I've made mine both ways, and other ways as well. It's all about what you like. Experiment with what everyone has said. There are no wrong answers in this thread. Just enjoy the process, and the experiments. Try making white chili, or changing the kind of meat you use. Try different kinds of beans. Add a bit of maple syrup to one batch. Add unsweetened chocolate to another. You will be amazed at how many ways there are to make great chili.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I agree with the masa harina/corn starch but be careful coz it will affect the taste of the dish, you can also let it cook a little longer for the liquid to evaporate. beans is a good thickener./.also simmer the chili than boiling it.

Never tried but this got me thinking how about rice but use Zanarans (hope I spelled that right) dirty rice. Its got a nice kick to it and would go great with Chili!

How about some dried instant refried beans? Fantastic makes these and so do other companies. More importantly, they would taste "right" for chili.

Attachments

• RefriedBeans.jpg
    RefriedBeans.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 367
If you like the flavor as is, I would just reduce it and not add any more/different ingredients. I use reduced chili in dips. Just put a serving in a small saucepan and in about 10 minutes on medium heat, stirring, you have really thick chili.

Mashing some of the beans will do the trick. It's the way I thicken bean soups. Or add refried beans - same thing, but will require seasoning adjustment.

Removing some of the liquid helps.

By the way, chili verde, is MY run away favorite chili.

It depends on how runny your chili is. If it is real runny drain through a strainer and into a bowl. Take a little of the juice and blend with flour and when you heat up stir back into chili. If you don't have excess liquid in chili, mix a little flour and water until smooth and blend back into chili as you reheat. Cook until it thickens.

Back
Top Bottom