How was your wedding cake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I was drooling over Kylies orange cake recipe and it reminded me of my own wedding cake. I thought it might be interesting to learn about others cakes too :chef:

My own wedding cake was made by a friend who loved to bake and had never made a large wedding cake. Baking our cake was her gift to us and I still think about that cake all these years later. She "interviewed" us to learn about our favorite flavors and then set to work.

She brought us several 'test' cakes, each one better than the last and each one unrelated in flavor to the last. There was a German chocolate cake (one of my favorites), a black walnut cake (one of his favorites) and an orange spice cake that was amazing. These appeared over the course of several weeks and she took notes about our reactions and comments to each cake. She also NEVER let on about what the final flavor would be.

Finally the day arrived and at the reception we finally got to cut the cake!

It was beautiful and very surprising. Round, 4 tiers, 2 birds on top and covered in toasted coconut. The base of the cake was decorated with ribbons of candied orange peel, chocolate ribbons, candied walnuts and curls and curls of toasted coconut reminiscent of a birds nest. I assumed when I saw it that it would be German chocolate inside but I was wrong.

When we cut into the cake we discovered delicious layers of moist and tangy orange cake separated by thin bands of chocolate ganache and finely chopped black walnuts. The orange cake was infused with shreds or orange peel and each piece was served with a garnish of candied orange peel, candied nuts and a chocolate curl. Heaven!

What kind of cake did you have at your celebration?

Last edited:
Stirling had tasted a wedding cake at a friend's wedding and was very impressed, so he wanted our cake to come from that bakery. I didn't care a great deal, because we were also having chocolate ice cream cake for dessert. The cake was delicious, but weird. I don't know what they were thinking at the bakery.

C-25.jpg

Your cake sounds just spectacular Janet and the picture is just lovely Taxi !

My first wedding cake in 1963 is a distant memory of a tall white cake with a bride and groom on the top.

Steve and I were married in Santorini Greece without family there. A month later at home and Christmas time, Steve surprised me with a wedding cake to share with the family. It meant the world to me to have the wedding cake to share with them.
He ordered it from a local baker and it was perfect with the look of Santorini Greece!

GetAttachment.aspx

At my first wedding we ordered our cake from a very well-respected bakery in Washington, DC, which is where I lived at the time. It was beautiful but a huge disappointment when it came to flavor, texture, etc....and we paid a lot for it.

When Buck and I got married we were on a budget that was beyond slim, so I made our cake. It came from an issue of Country Living magazine and it was delicious.

Then, Glenn and I married a few years ago and I didn't have the time to make our cake so I availed myself of the services of a local "artisan" kitchen which had a very fine reputation. OMIGOSH!! What a great cake! We enjoyed a dense French vanilla cake with raspberry filling and an amazing vanilla butter cream icing. The top layer was saved for our first anniversary, then we've ordered a small one for our anniversary every year since. That's how good the cake was/is. And, of course, the cake had a blue motorcycle on top.:)

Attachments

• Katie and Glenn - cutting wedding cake.jpg
    Katie and Glenn - cutting wedding cake.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 291
I can't really remember the flavor of our cake - I want to say spice cake, but I'm not sure :neutral:

But I know I wanted to have flowers on top, because we got married in my mom's back yard on the river, and because I felt that the different flowers would represent our families and friends sharing the day with us, rather than the bride and groom ornament that is usually used. Please note how similar my wedding dress is to Princess Kate's :mrgreen:

Attachments

• cutting-wedding-cake-edited.jpg
    cutting-wedding-cake-edited.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 261
My wedding cake was a large single layer white cake with all white buttercream frosting and white roses. No reception for second wedding. Not even guests. Went, got married, came back home and finished getting ready for the next day, Christmas morning. Come to think of it, we didn't even call anyone to tell them we got married. :angel:

We had a yellow/chocolate marble cake. It wasn't anything spectacularly magnificent nor was it awful. It was a cake. My son is getting married this Nov and we tasted several cakes at the recent bridal show we attended. The one bakery had some wonderfully moist, rich cake. The other we tasted was okay but the cake was really coarse. I had a lemon cake with blueberry filling. You could taste the lemon but the blueberry filling had no flavor at all. It was just blue goo. We crossed them off the list although their decorating was awesome. We decided it wasn't worth it to have a pretty cake if it tasted horrible.

Which wedding, LOL? :LOL:

Wedding 1 and 2, I don't recall what kind of cake we had. Both had white frosting, and that's about all I remember. I'm sure I didn't have a hand in picking either of them out.

Wedding 3, we "eloped" to Las Vegas. Ok, not really eloped. Long story, but I moved from Las Vegas to Minneapolis a few years earlier where I met the woman I would eventually marry. Since most of my friends lived in Vegas and it's such a big wedding town, we decided to have the wedding there. The wedding itself was a blast and we had a party afterwards but, alas, we had no cake. It was something that neither of us considered important.

img_1237312_0_9d9569e06b2f06b1eea709d18e609a84.jpg

I used to eat just the cake and leave any fondant on the plate. Now I won't even eat the cake. If that is all you have to offer me, then keep it please. I have yet to taste a decent wedding cake. They usually have no flavor. I would love to be able to rave about any wedding cake I had.

My daughter served for her wedding a slice of pound cake, some strawberry juice to moisten the cake, some strawberries, a scoop of ice cream, repeat and top with whipped cream. A big hit. The presentation of the plate was beautiful. The wedding cake was cut up and sent home in little boxes for each guest. To this day, the family calls it the wedding dessert. :angel:

The irony of my situation is I have made dozens of wedding cakes and in two marriages I didn't have a "real wedding cake".

The first we just had a sheet cake. TB and I did elope (quite a story) in our back yard under an apple tree and my sister, who stood with me brought the most awesome cheesecake to top of our bbq'd steak dinner!

I don't remember much of the sheet cake, but the cheesecake had a smooth creamy layer of caramel over a shortbread crust and large flakes of chocolate in a light and delicious cream cheese filling! Best cheesecake I have ever had. :)

I don't recall a cake. I'd have to watch the video. I do remember the carved apples and pears that looked like swans...it was a small luncheon, my two brothers, my parents, the DH and myself.

Our wedding was on a Friday evening in the yard at my grandparent's house in Paw Paw, Michigan. It was a small ceremony with just a few close family and friends. I made the wedding dress, but the cake was made by one of the guests. The silk flowers were done by one of the guests too. All we had to eat was the cake, a small three layer cake with the cutest little couple sitting on the top on a bench kissing. I really don't remember if the cake was good or not, but I know that the top layer that was saved in the freezer was not very good by the time we made it back to Michigan for a visit (I think it was two or three years later). :huh: Grandma and Grandpa were insistent on bringing it up from the freezer for us all to have some. We covered it with fresh strawberries, but it didn't taste very good. The strawberries were great! :wacko:

Very nice photos guys :)

I only had a cake for my first wedding. It was a moist chocolate and hazelnut cake with caramel filling. The frosting was vanilla butter cream. The cake had 3 heart shaped tears decorated with fresh white and red roses and silver leaf. We had two hearts made of port filled glasses on the side for guest to take as they came in. Our wedding was in Winter.
I didn't have a reception or church wedding the second time. We got married in court before going to Botswana. I'm still waiting for the real wedding that was meant to follow lol!

Shrek and I have had two ceremonies...and both were a surprise to me. So...no cake. He is the romantic...

I couldn't tell you a lot about my cake, I would have to go dig out the pictures (35 yrs ago) and look at it to remember. My MIL decided she wanted to take care of that for me. I remember she never asked me what I would like. She was a take charge person whether you wanted her to or not. I figure let her and she would be out of the rest of my business. one thing - it has a fountain in it with 2 gold fish in the bottom. I do remember saying gross- turning around and there she was I then said the cake is pretty an thank you so much- but having a gold fish swimming in the middle of your cake is gross. It was in a clear enclosed plastic thing. Then when it poooped and that was floating around she forgave me!!!.

Back
Top Bottom