Hungarian meat-filled doughnut question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
First, has anyone made these? And second, since the dough is a yeast dough, do you have to deep-fat fry them? I was wondering why one couldn't either boil them for a minute or so (like bagels) and then bake them? I know they wouldn't be the same, but they wouldn't absorb the oil...

First, has anyone made these? And second, since the dough is a yeast dough, do you have to deep-fat fry them? I was wondering why one couldn't either boil them for a minute or so (like bagels) and then bake them? I know they wouldn't be the same, but they wouldn't absorb the oil...

If the oil is hot enough and you don't leave them in too long, oil absorption will be minimal.

I suppose you could bake them. You don't even have to boil them first.

I stumbled across a couple of recipes for them in one of the cookbooks in my collection...I guess that would make them more like calazones...although the filling would have a "Hungarian" flavor...also, since they are supposed to be eaten hot, I was looking for a way to make them ahead and reheat them...maybe I'll try them both ways and see which way I like better <g>.

You could steam them if you like?
I have never mastered the art of steaming buns myself, it's on my 'to-do' list.

I like the baking idea most, crunchy on the outside, a little browned, and softer inside, that is, if you are cooking for me. ;)

I was thinking of letting them "rest" for about 20 minutes before frying to reduce the amount of fat absorbed. But steaming them sounds like a thought...not on the agenda this week, but something I stumbled across and thought "why not ask the DC crowd for input?" I'm intrigued by this and might add the savory rhubarb biscuit dream to this--putting the savory rhubarb in with the meat--probably chicken....

In your kitchen, you are the boss. If I decided I wanted them bagel style, bagel style the would be. New recipes are invented because some one was an adventurer and decided they wanted bagel-stye.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom