Hush puppies question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use two "table spoons" one to scoop it out of the bowl and the other to shape the batter and scoot it into the hot oil. They are not round, kind of tear drop shaped. I have had them shaped that way in some sea food joints.

I figure folks who have been making hush puppies for the past couple of hundred years didn't have special tools.

I can account for the last 40 years! I use two teaspoons. one to fill, one to scrape it into the oil!

Fritters are a favorite in my house! I put everything except the kitchen sink into them!

Sausage and cheese fritters are the most favored of all my fritters at home! :chef::chef::chef:

"Is it a fritter or a hush puppy?

The best answer I've ever heard was:

"The only difference I could figure is where you receive your mail.
One man’s fritter is another man’s hush puppy"

Last edited:
How do you make your fritters, Timothy?

No secret recipe here, Zhizara! I make regular cornbread mix with slightly less milk and then add cooled, cooked and crumbled spicy sausage and shredded cheese to the mix. Then just drop it by spoonfuls into hot oil until browned nicely.

I mix black pepper and butter together and serve it with the fritters.

No secret recipe here, Zhizara! I make regular cornbread mix with slightly less milk and then add cooled, cooked and crumbled spicy sausage and shredded cheese to the mix. Then just drop it by spoonfuls into hot oil until browned nicely.

I mix black pepper and butter together and serve it with the fritters.

Thanks!!! I've wanted to make fritters for a long time, since Mrs. Paul's corn fritters were available in the freezer section many, many years ago. They were soooo good, but they stopped making them.

It's nice to know of an easy way to make hush puppies too. A neighbor lady used to make them with tiny bits of onion when I was a kid. They were really good.

I always have some Jiffy cornbread mix on hand.

Thanks!!! I've wanted to make fritters for a long time, since Mrs. Paul's corn fritters were available in the freezer section many, many years ago. They were soooo good, but they stopped making them.

It's nice to know of an easy way to make hush puppies too. A neighbor lady used to make them with tiny bits of onion when I was a kid. They were really good.

I always have some Jiffy cornbread mix on hand.

Outstanding! Let me know how they turn out! I love fritters!

I'll try the corn fritters. I often make cornbread with creamed corn instead of milk (w 2 pkgs. of mix). It sounds like that batter would work, maybe with extra regular kernel corn.

I'll let you know the results.

Back
Top Bottom