I Don't Want a "Quick Meal"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KellyAK

Assistant Cook
As a college student on summer break that loves to cook, I'm having trouble finding recipes that aren't made to be fast and easy.

What I mean is, I just woke up and would love to spend a few hours preparing dinner for my family but everywhere I look recipes are being shortened to be easier for the busy family.

While this isn't necessarily a bad thing (and I'm sure I will appreciate these when I graduate and don't have hours of time to cook) it isn't what I'm looking for now.

So what I'm asking is, will you share with me your recipes that take a long time and lots of prep?

Do you know anywhere I can find traditional from scratch recipes that will allow me to spend all day cooking?

Please and Thank You :)

Rather than selecting a recipe based on how long it takes, how about thinking of some things your family really like and making that for them.

Perhaps you could come up with a menu that includes several courses which, combined, take a significant amount of time and allow you to practice several techniques in the same meal. Then you also get to practice meal planning and getting everything else to come out at the same time.

Kelly, almost any recipe can be long or short prep depending on what you are doing. For example: French Onion Soup

Short: Use canned beef stock, sauté onions, toss into stock and heat up, ladle into bowls, top with croutons and cheese and broil

Longer: Use homemade (but frozen) stock from scratch, and repeat from sautéed onions.

Longest: roast beef bones, make stock from scratch, sweat onions for a few hours til juuuust right, use french bread rounds that you have cut to fit and staled out properly.

What sorts of foods does your family like? Perhaps you could spend a few days doing some of the prep work for many meals?

As a college student on summer break that loves to cook, I'm having trouble finding recipes that aren't made to be fast and easy.

What I mean is, I just woke up and would love to spend a few hours preparing dinner for my family but everywhere I look recipes are being shortened to be easier for the busy family.

While this isn't necessarily a bad thing (and I'm sure I will appreciate these when I graduate and don't have hours of time to cook) it isn't what I'm looking for now.

So what I'm asking is, will you share with me your recipes that take a long time and lots of prep?

Do you know anywhere I can find traditional from scratch recipes that will allow me to spend all day cooking?

Some older cookbooks have long recipes lol When I get in those moods, I tend to end up making everything from scratch. And lots of casseroles b/c they can be frozen.

Get yourself a slow cooker. You can sit there and watch it cook for hours. lol!
Slow cooked pork in the oven, Swiss Steak on the stove in a covered pan, Roasted, stuffed chicken, Beef Bourguignone,.

Rocklobster said:
Get yourself a slow cooker. You can sit there and watch it cook for hours. lol!
Slow cooked pork in the oven, Swiss Steak on the stove in a covered pan, Roasted, stuffed chicken, Beef Bourguignone,.

I second the slow cooker! There are so many wonderful recipes!

What about something like homemade manicotti? You could look up a recipe for making the pasta from scratch, then use your favorite filling and sauce recipe. Homemade tacos with homemade tortillas might also be good. I'll have to look through my recipes and see if I have any that take a while.

I agree with GB. Get a smoker that can double as a grill and outdoor oven.

I've had fun make'n gumbo that last two weekends. Easy prep, but takes time and is fun. Check out some vids on how to make it, like mikestokes, 007jb, alton brown good eats, scooter scott, some that I like anyway.

How about oxtail soup or try'n beef marrow?(I tried those, too fatty for us but was fun)

To get inspiration, check out diners drive ins and dives, good eats, food wars, man vs food(just smaller quantities;)).

Sometimes the cook can be short, but the eating takes a long time. Blue crab and crawfish come to mind. Fun to make, cheap(depending on where you live) and more of an event than a meal.

Just some ideas.

This how I make my manicotti:

6 eggs
1 c milk
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 c flour

Mix together like pancake batter--doesn't matter if there are lumps. Cook on a greased griddle (or in a crepe pan) on one side only. You don't want them getting brown, you just want them to be set.

Fill with a mix of 1-1/2 c ricotta, 1/2 c romano 2 eggs, 1/2 T parsley, garlic, and 1/2 c grated mozarella cheese. You mix the filling in a bowl and spread some on each crepe. Roll up and place in a greased casserole dish. Top with 2 cups of your favorite sauce. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes.

Ha! Try a cassoulet or Julia Child's Bouef Bourguignon.

If you want to spend the day in the kitchen, put together a scandinavian smorgasbord with a cold, hot, and dessert table!

Eggrolls or wontons where you make the wrappers...

Apple strudel...

sausage...

filled pasta (tortellini, ravioli)

Last edited:
You can also look for older cookbooks that came out before microwave ovens and moms working outside the home. :)

Lasagna. If you really want to spend some time in the kitchen, make your sauce as well as your noodles from scratch. That should keep you busy :LOL:

ravioli or calzones from scratch, from pasta/dough, to sauce, to the ricotta, and maybe even the sausage.

heck, why not raise a pig and grow durham semolina...lol, sorry. i went too far. :)

it's so weird to try to think of how can i make something require more time and effort.

Back
Top Bottom