I need some ideas for frozen basil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carolelaine

Senior Cook
I froze alot of basil last summer in ice cube trays and I really need some good ideas of how to use them up. I've done alot of different things with them, but I'm in a rut. Any ideas out there?

Put some cubes in tomato soup or tomato sauce or in sauteed mushrooms & onions.

Let thaw & drain & mix with tomatoes for brushetta or put in olive oil for a basil oil & brush on veggies to grill or & make basil mayo...great for sandwiches.

I would make pesto but instead of for pasta, try it on grilled steaks or as a sandwich spread.

I've seen an alternative for the mojito using basil and little green grapes. It would even be good without the liquor I think, just with charge water.

You can mix it into bread dough or spread / lay it across the top of a frozen or refrigerator loaf before you bake it off.

Hmmm ...

You could try a tomato and basil risotto.

I often make a basil and garlic sauce. Put a couple of cloves of garlic in a mortar and pestle with a handful of basil plus some sea salt and mix until you get a paste, then add some extra virgin olive oil. I normally serve it with grilled chicken.

Personally, I love herb infused breads. Great for sandwiches, paninis or a with salad or pasta.

You can add the basil to tomato sauce. And the pesto pasta sounds super.

I usually turn my basil into a paste with olive oil and garlic, then freeze. From there it can go into most sauces or be turned into pesto. Pesto (or the more basic paste) can also be dolloped into the cooking liquid for rice. If your basil is just plain, you can use it in Thai and Vietnamese cooking as well. Especially great in green curry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom