I need some ideas for side dishes for a BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The classic sides at barbeques in my part of the world are cold salads. You can bet there will be a potato salad, maybe a pasta salad of some kind, bean salad, fresh cut vegetables like tomatoes, carrots, celery, etc with a dressing ...fresh dinner rolls, some kind of grilled onions and mushrooms, depending on the meat. Sometimes I stuff jalapeno peppers with cream cheese. Also a pickle tray..I'm sure you could come up with tons more, but I don't like to work too hard so I go with the favorites...other people can bring stuff, too if they want to..have a blast, mate!

Cole slaw and hot (temperature, not peppers) baked beans are traditional sides here in southeastern Virginia. Others are grilled corn on the cob with butter and salt, and tomato-onion-cucumber salad with a vinegary dressing.

Cole slaw and hot (temperature, not peppers) baked beans are traditional sides here in southeastern Virginia. Others are grilled corn on the cob with butter and salt, and tomato-onion-cucumber salad with a vinegary dressing.

Yes...I missed those..my mother always made beans and now whenever my sister comes she brings the same....

Pasta salad goes very good with baked beans.
Or potato salad.
I make my pasta salad with Italian dressing. I think its Kraft Zesty Italian. I put several things in it including sliced Kalamata olives, cherry tomatoes and fresh parsley. Don't forget a little fresh garlic.
This salad is best made a couple hours before you plan to serve it.

All of the above are good choices.

Dips or spreads served with raw veggie slices, crackers or tortilla chips.

We like marinated "3 bean" salad to serve with grilled foods. So what if it only has 2 beans and some sliced other veggies mixed in the vinegar-y marinade.

Ya can't go wrong with barbecued beans (if you can keep them from falling through the grill) and corn on the cob. And beer, of course. Lots and lots of beer!

• Grilled Pineapple slices (fresh),
  • Grilled peppers
  • Bananas in red sweet sauce
  • Lime gelatin blended with sour cream, or cottage cheese, crushed pineapple, and chopped walnuts
  • Ice cold watermelon/cantaloupe/raisin salad
  • Grated carrot with Miracle Whip, rains, pineapple, chopped pecans
  • Halved cherry tomatoes with sour cream, and seasoning salt
T
  • urn that steak into carne asada

I could think of more; but I hope this inspires some ideas. Oh, and your favorite baked bean recipe is a must. You might even slice some good kielbasa and add it to the beans.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I live in the South of the USA and some of our traditional sides for Barbecue include baked beans, coleslaw, cornbread, potato salad, tomatoes and onions and cucumbers in a vinegar dressing. All yummy!

All the goodies are great. Good luck with your feast!

We always do a grilled cauliflower. Oil, salt, pepper and brown sugar. Cut into florets.

Put on tray in grill. Always a hit.

I usually go with one hearty mayonnaise-based salad like potato or macaroni and a couple of lighter offerings like tomato & onion or cucumber & onion.

The old copper coin/penny carrot salad from the folks at Campbell's is an easy inexpensive side that can be made ahead.

https://www.deepsouthdish.com/2011/04/copper-pennies-carrot-salad-recipe.html

This corn salad is usually a hit and can be made ahead.

Corn Salad/Relish adapted from a recipe by Marion Cunningham.

4 cups fresh or frozen corn
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
6 ribs celery
2 onions

Pickle
1 cup sugar
2 t dry mustard
2 t turmeric
2 t celery seed
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
1/4 cup water

Chop the vegetables roughly the size of corn kernels. Put everything into a pot and bring to a boil, simmer for 15 minutes. I put it into a covered dish or clean canning jar and refrigerate it overnight, or several days, then drain and serve ice cold.

Last edited:
ABT's and Moink balls. Turn leftover jambalaya or dirty rice into Cajuncini. Non mayo based slaw. A Fatty is always a hit.

Cajuncini Makes about eight 2-inch balls

2 cups leftover jambalaya
3 eggs
8 cubes, 3/8 inch or so, of a firm cheese, Muenster, Monteray Jack, Cheddar, Mozzarella, etc.
1/2 cup flour
1 to 1-1/2 cups unseasoned bread crumbs
Oil for frying

Start oil heating to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

If you have large chunks of ham or chicken in your jambalaya, you will need to pick through it, remove them and run a chef's knife through them to make them smaller. Return to jambalaya and mix thoroughly. Add 1 beaten egg to jambalaya and mix thoroughly. Using a scant 2 Tbsp (I used a #40 lever scoop) form balls. Poke a hole part way through each ball, place a cube of cheese in and enclose within the rice mixture. Roll each ball in flour. Beat the remaining 2 eggs with 2 Tbsp of water. Dip each ball into the egg mixture, then into the bread crumbs, coating well. Place in hot oil and fry until dark golden brown. Serve with Creole sauce.

Last edited:
I make a grilled vegetable pasta salad.
Basically make the pasta , heat up some garlic and oil, and grill whatever veggies you like then cut them up. Mix all together and salt to taste. Its a nice and garlicky flavor with a touch of char from the grilled veggies.

I typically grill up onions, mushrooms, a tomato, asparagus and a zucchini, but its one of those " anything goes " types of recipe.

Can also toss some fresh herbs in there too ( which I do when they are abundant in the summer ( basil, parsley ...).

I always make some salad, mostly some version of coleslaw and/or Greek salad with Feta cheese. For those that don't feel that hungry or aren't big meat eaters, I make 2 or 3 spreads, mostly cheese based, sometimes with canned tuna etc... then I just toast some bread for them on the grill so it get's a bit of smoky flavor :)

And all the time I have some potatoes sitting on the grill, ready to get served. I pre-cook them first, then throw them on the grill to catch some color, as needed.

I make a grilled vegetable pasta salad.
Basically make the pasta , heat up some garlic and oil, and grill whatever veggies you like then cut them up. Mix all together and salt to taste. Its a nice and garlicky flavor with a touch of char from the grilled veggies.

I typically grill up onions, mushrooms, a tomato, asparagus and a zucchini, but its one of those " anything goes " types of recipe.

Can also toss some fresh herbs in there too ( which I do when they are abundant in the summer ( basil, parsley ...).

I do this, too, although I make an herby vinaigrette for it. I like to use Israeli couscous.

Back
Top Bottom