I Promised someone this Recipe for her Wedding Picnic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChefJune

Master Chef
and now I cannot find the thread to bring up! So I'm starting a new one, and hope the sweet bride-to-be will find it.

Muffuletta
(The original recipe came from Lee Bailey, a true Louisiana gentleman, and he surely did advise pressing the sandwich, as do I, if you want your eaters to get their mouthes around it!)

You definitely want to make the olive salad at least one day before you assemble the sandwich, so all the flavors have time to meld.

makes 6 good sized servings (unless you’re serving teen-aged boys!)

For the Olive Salad:
1 1/2 cups chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives
1 cup oil cured black olives (pitted)
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
5 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1/2 cup chopped pimiento
2 anchovy fillets, mashed
1 tablespoon very finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon nonpareil capers
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a glass, stainless steel or ceramic bowl, mix the olives, olive oil, parsley, pimiento, anchovies, capers, garlic, oregano, lemon juice and pepper together. Cover and marinate overnight.

Here are the rest of the Ingredients

1 round loaf Italian bread, approx 8 or 9 inches in diameter
shredded Romaine or leaf lettuce
thinly sliced tomatoes
1/4 pound thinly sliced Mortadella
1/4 pound thinly sliced Soppressata
1/4 pound thinly sliced Mozzarella
1/4 pound thinly sliced Scamorza

When I assemble a Muffuletta, I cut the bread horizontally and pull out most of the soft insides. Then I drain the olive salad and brush the cut sides of the bread with the juicy marinade. Then I put half the olive salad into the bottom of the bread, spreading it evenly (up the sides, too!). Next, I start layering half the meats and cheeses. Half the lettuce and half the tomatoes follow this.

Reverse the process, stacking everything up neatly, then brush the top half of the bread with more marinade, line it with olive salad, and quickly flip it on top of the lovely pile in front of you.

Wrap the whole sandwich securely with plastic wrap and refrigerate it, covered with a small plate on which you put several pounds of weight (unopened cans, etc.) Let it rest until you are ready to serve (or to pack for your picnic) but at least 30 minutes. Cut it into wedges before packing/serving.

How did you find that? :ermm:

I pm'd her, and tried to send an email, but got that she doesn''t want any. She hasn't been around since June 20th.... so guess this recipe is for whomever might want it! :chef: It's a goodie.

I've been making the Olive Salad recipe ever since Chef June gave it to me a few years ago. It's delicious!!!! (and leftovers, if there are any,;) are great on pasta.)

ChefJune said:
How did you find that? :ermm:

I pm'd her, and tried to send an email, but got that she doesn''t want any. She hasn't been around since June 20th.... so guess this recipe is for whomever might want it! :chef: It's a goodie.
I just went to the top of the page, hit search and typed in picnic wedding and it came right up for me. Your post giving the recipe shows there as well..
kadesma:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom