I started juicing greens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadfix

Chef Extraordinaire
Yup, I recently started juicing greens as I didn' think I was getting enough vegis in my regular diet.
Fruit smoothies were nice during the summer but I think I'm going to stick with the green program for as long as I can. I don't have a dedicated juicer but do have a good blender. I consume everything, pulp and all.
Anyone else make their own green juice?

I went at it pretty steady a couple of years ago. I supplemented one meal a day with juice. Eggwhites for breakfast. Smallish meal for dinner. Cut out bread and beer for almost 3 months before introducing things back into my diet. I ended up losing around 25 lbs and felt really good. But, like everything else, it petered out. I would like to do it again, but just can't seem to get into it. I have a Champion juicer. It became a pain to clean it, which is one reason I gave it up, I think. I also could never find one that I really, honestly enjoyed. I knew they were good for me but, could never say that they tasted great. Good luck.

I'm doing this not to lose weight, but simply because I'm not eating enough vegetables. I can actually lose a few pounds and that would be a great side benefit. The taste isn't so bad, I got used to that. And I don't really follow any one specific recipe, I'll often use and concoct whatever I have sitting in the fridge.

Three words: Low Sodium V-8.

It tastes good, and no extra prep.

Last edited:
If you keep it up you will likely lose weight. Unless you increase your fat and sugar intake elswhere. Want a buzz? Drink straight beet juice in the morning. It's like having 10 cups of coffee. Zinnggg!:w00t2: It was for me, anyway...

Actually, I drink that too.... Trader Joe's version of the V-8....I get the jug.......better tasting too.

Did not know TJ's had it, Costco has been lax lately having only the full sodium here. Will be on the lookout when we head out over Thanksgiving! Thanks!

Last edited:
If you keep it up you will likely lose weight. Unless you increase your fat and sugar intake elswhere. Want a buzz? Drink straight beet juice in the morning. It's like having 10 cups of coffee. Zinnggg!:w00t2: It was for me, anyway...
I used to make a concoction from beets, apples, lemons, and ginger that would send my blood sugar soaring. It wasn't a good thing, because it was then followed by the inevitable crash. I've since given up on juicing.

This morning's green juice batch was the best tasting so far. I should have noted the exact combination of ingredients but I remember I did not use ginger because I ran out of them.

One blender full gives me enough to fill my 32oz bottle to take to work and about a cups worth to consume like right now.
Taste wise I rate this morning's batch at 4, on a scale of 1 to 10. I have no idea what a 10 is supposed to taste like. For the sake of comparison I rate Trader Joe's or Costco's naked green juices at 8, for instance.

I love straight beet juice. I take the juicer outside and do it on the deck, toss the pulp to the birds.

Back
Top Bottom