I want to make my own Almond-butter - Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holdthescroll

Assistant Cook
I have heard that you can make your own Almond butter with raw almonds if you blend shelled almonds and olive oil in a blender.

Is this a good way of making Almond-butter?

I'd stay away from olive oil as its flavor might interfere with the flavor of the almonds. Use a mild oil such as canola or safflower.

Many meat grinders used to come with a nut butter blade. You might be suprised how much oil many nuts contain. The oil content becomes more obvious if the nuts are subjected to more of a crushing than chopping process. As stated in the site referenced by Dave Cottrell, the flavor of most butters is enhanced by first toasting the nuts. For what little added oil might be required, peanut oil could be a good choice.

I just grind raw Almonds in my Cuisinart food processor. No oil needed. The almonds have their own.

Yummy!

Or, you can buy the "grind it yourself" Almond Butter at Whole Foods.

I seem to remember Alton Brown made cashew butter by food processing 2 cups of cashews with 2 tsp honey and 1/3 cup of walnut oil. I used canola oil since it was what I had on hand. I don't know how well the recipe translates to almonds, but it's good stuff...or good eats, I guess.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom