Ideas for Pickling Beets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Late Night Gourmet

Assistant Cook
I decided to pickle beets, and I looked for some ideas. I was amazed at how many different ways there are to pickle beets. The only thing the recipes seemed to agree on is the beets, but a lot of other things were up to interpretation.

I decided to boil the beets with cloves in the water, then reserve the water. I made a pickling mixture with white vinegar, sugar, and garlic cloves, and mixed in the "beet water" to top off the jars. I've found that beets don't stand up to straight vinegar (they become overpoweringly intense).

What have you used in your recipes? The flavor from what I made was good, but I'm always looking for great. :) I'm open to new ideas for next time. NOTE: I once tried adding balsamic vinegar to the picking mixture, which added a nice flavor, but made the beets brownish.

I have not pickled beets because we don't enjoy beets. I just wanted to mention that, in order to preserve foods safely, especially if you are going to be canning them, it's important to use tested recipes. You can use different flavors of ingredients, but the vinegar-water ratio should be kept the same.

Here are a few:
- http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/pickled_beets.html

- http://food.unl.edu/canning-pickles-fermented-foods

- http://foodinjars.com/2013/05/guest-post-pickled-beets-with-honey-from-camille-storch/#more-5033

I use allspice berries, along with a sugar/vinegar/water solution. Ball Blue Book has a decent recipe. Garlic cloves with pickled beets just doesn't sound right to me.

Sure wish I had my grandma's pickled beet recipe. They'd set your teeth on edge, but they were so good!

Last edited:
I use allspice berries, along with a sugar/vinegar/water solution. Ball Blue Book has a decent recipe. Garlic cloves with pickled beets just doesn't sound right to me.

Sure wish I had my grandma's pickled beet recipe. They'd set your teeth on edge, but they were so good!

I like the idea of allspice...it should give them a Moroccan-inspired flavor. I went with garlic because I wanted to give them a more savory flavor to balance the sweetness. It's actually pretty good (you don't get punched in the mouth with it, since the garlic is boiled with the vinegar).

My dad made it back in the day.
Based on my memory, there was definitely
Beets
Water
vinegar
Sugar
Cloves
salt
Sliced onions ( the onions were the best part)

I don't remember the exact recipe.
They weren't too sweet, just a little sugar to give it a boost.

I make a batch every year and use the Ball recipe which is basically what Larry posted. I've tried the Kerr recipe but it has cinnamon and can be a little spicy. I'd don't mind it but she does. I save the juice from several jars and use it for pickled eggs. These recipes are all on line.

Last edited:
I just wanted to mention that, in order to preserve foods safely, especially if you are going to be canning them, it's important to use tested recipes. You can use different flavors of ingredients, but the vinegar-water ratio should be kept the same

Yes!!!

I make a batch every year and use the Ball recipe which is basically what Larry posted. I've tried the Kerr recipe but it has cinnamon and can be a little spicy. I'd don't mind it but she does. I save the juice from several jars and use it for pickled eggs. These recipes are all on line.
Great idea (saving the liquid and reusing for pickled eggs)! Depending on the timing, I might be able to do this in time to make Easter eggs.

My dad made it back in the day.
Based on my memory, there was definitely
Beets
Water
vinegar
Sugar
Cloves
salt
Sliced onions ( the onions were the best part)

I don't remember the exact recipe.
They weren't too sweet, just a little sugar to give it a boost.

I like this...it's sort of like making pickled onions (I assume red onions), but with the beets playing a co-starring role.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom