Identifying spice ingredients in a mixed spice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John L

Assistant Cook
Hello.

My GrandMa had these 2 special spices that she would always use on beef and chicken. Our family always liked it. Sadly, she fell ill, and she passed away several months ago. I have missed her and have even craved her cooking ever since.

I looked through her old recipe drawer but I havent been able to locate the way she mixed this stuff up. It is a mixture of a bunch of spices I am sure. I do have a small amount of each of the actual spice mixtures left in bags.

Is there any possible way to identify the spices in these mixes and approximate quantities? I dont have a fortune, and this is only for my family use, but I could pay for the service if such is available and if it doesnt cost excessively. I searched food labs but it only returned huge, government type labs.

Any ideas appreciated!

With Thanks, JohnL

Take your little baggie to a local chef. They can probably identify the major components for you.

I agree with that, and maybe even take to a place like Penzeys, ...maybe?

Unless Grandma used finely ground herbs the individual components should be identifiable both visually and by taste. Visit Penzeys website for more info.
How would you identify onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cinnamon, celery salt, chili powder, curry powder, etc. all mixed together visually? I do not see how that would be possible.

I think the best suggestion so far is to take it to a local chef (at a good restaurant) and ask if he would try to identify it for you. Short of bringing it to a lab for a ton of money I think that would be the best bet.

A good chef should be able to taste it and tell you pretty close what spices are in the mix. I hope she had just simple spices from grocery store mixed together.

I am very sorry for your loss. I lost my grandmother almost 30 years ago and can still taste her food. It was unbelievable.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

How would you identify onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cinnamon, celery salt, chili powder, curry powder, etc. all mixed together visually? I do not see how that would be possible.

I think the best suggestion so far is to take it to a local chef (at a good restaurant) and ask if he would try to identify it for you. Short of bringing it to a lab for a ton of money I think that would be the best bet.

I said- unless herbs were finely ground
Powder = finely ground
Hang up your spoon if you cannot tell the difference between dried marjoram, sage, thyme, oregano, rosemary; see the reddish tinge of paprika and smell the presence of garlic, onion, and cumin.

When everything is mixed together it can be very difficult to identify individual players. Also, just because you see red that does not automatically mean regular paprika. There are many ground peppers that have the same color. My ancho pepper powder would look identical to paprika in a mix and with other stronger flavors like garlic and onion would be very difficult to identify by taste alone.

Last edited:
I say everyone who thinks this would be easy should have their significant other, or a friend, mix up a random assortment of spices, let it sit in a plastic bag or jar for a couple of months, opening it once a day for a minute or so...

then try to ID the spices. It isn't as easy as one thinks. Once they have been hanging out for a while, smells transfer and meld, as do flavors.

Or I just need to hang up my spoon and get a new nose and taste buds....

I'm not a chef, but, I'd try to analyse them in a number of ways.
Visually first, look at if there are leafy green herbs in it, or bigger chunks of pepper, salt granuals, white dried garlic perhaps, chili peppers or paprika dust. If it is ground fine, what is the overall color and what herbs or spices could that be? Is it a fine dust or a grind or different shaped particles?
I'd taste it a number of different ways and again make a list of what it might be.
Taste it raw--is it salted, peppery, herby, spicy?
Cook it with a little water--taste it, same questions, what could be in there? Smell it, what do you smell, what are the types of aromas? Is it specific to one ingredient, like garlic, or pepper or? Taste it on the front and back of your tongue.
Cook it in a little oil--taste it, same thing.
In each tasting, what are the smells, is it a little like stuffing, it might have some sage in it, does it smell flowery, maybe it has marjoram or thyme, is it oniony, that could be onion dehydrated or garlicy or chive like?
(I'd probably ask friends or family to help with the tasting and listing of possible ingredients with me.)
Then I'd take my lists of most likely characters and mix some spice/herb mixtures of my own to try to get something similar.

Taking it to Penzey's is a great idea too especially if you have a limited spice rack.

In one of episodes of (hm was it top chef?) they had chefs identified ingredients. And they did, and did it well. I think good chef should be able to guess if not all, at least some of them.

Absolutely. The trick for the OP will be finding a good chef who is willing to do this for him.

Unfortunately you are right. Maybe he can go to a local culinary school, if there is one. Or start calling friends looking for a good chef. I doubt somebody will help somebody who just walk in from the street and ask something like that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom