Idle curiosity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...New England in the fall is on my list of to-does for my retirement. Hackneyed and touristy, I know but at least it's not Disneyland...
MC, ALL regions of this North American continent have beauty, in their own special way. By the time you retire we should be back in OH. Glistening lakeshore vistas, peaceful rolling Amish countryside, lively cities, thick forests with waterfalls...and food to diet for! When you think you might be heading west, drop me a note. I fully intend that our next house is such that I can be ready for company at the slow drop of a hat.

But of course. Do the US and Canada allow foreigners to stay for 3 years when it's supposed to be a vacation! I think I'd need a green card to see all I'd want to in one holiday!
I don't know. However, I think that as a fellow member of the British Commonwealth, it would be easier to stay longer in Canada. I won't suggest multiple trips from Canada to the US, because you would be dealing with TSA (Transportation Security Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) for every trip. Might be easier by car.

Hmm, not, I think, the first local delicacy I will seek out when I eventually make it across the pond.

New England in the fall is on my list of to-does for my retirement. Hackneyed and touristy, I know but at least it's not Disneyland. I'm sure Florida is beautiful and well worth a visit but my heart sinks when yet another Brit says they're going to America for their vacation and when asked where, the answer is Disneyland. Yes, I know it's their money so it's their choice but there are so many interesting/beautiful/historical/etc., places to visit in the USA but all that Brits seem to want to see is bl**dy Micky Mouse! :mad: Some of them go two or three or more times, with or without the excuse of young children! And it's not just Disneyland USA. I used to work with someone who had been to Disneyland Paris FIVE times and never once took in Paris itself!

(That last paragraph should probably be in "Petty Vents" :rolleyes: )

I love going to Walt Disney World in Florida. It really is much more than a kiddy amusement park, it is quite an experience. The cuisine can be absolutely outstanding. The parks themselves are awesome, but the resorts are impressive themselves. I had always gone for a day and had the "amusement park experience" and had a great time. This last time we did the whole shebang. We stayed at a mid-tier resort, bought the dining package and the experience was completely different and quite amazing. We had no children with us. To me WDW is not really an amusement park (actually 4, plus 2 water parks and 24 big resorts). We parked the car and didn't get in it again for a week.

With that said, I don't think that I would fly to Europe for the soul purpose of an amusement park (although there isn't really anything that compares), there is so much more to see. Also the rail system gives you the chance to see so much over there, we just don't have that here. When you fly to the states, unless you have a ton of cash to fly all over, you have to choose one region and drive pretty much everywhere, and even one region could have you spending hours in a car. In the west it can take you a day or two to drive from one attraction to another.

I can understand someone flying to the states for one attraction, it's just a lot easier and less expensive.

I suspect that not many Brits make it to the west coast as it's twice as far as the east coast.

Not as the plane flies.

LHR to JFK about 3440... LHR to SEA 4780... which equates to a couple extra hours. Planes fly, more or less, great circle routes.

Not as the plane flies.

LHR to JFK about 3440... LHR to SEA 4780... which equates to a couple extra hours. Planes fly, more or less, great circle routes.
They do nowadays.

I was one of the first 500 hundred passengers to fly the "SAS Polar Route", back in 1955.

As I remember it, it takes about 9 hours from the West Coast to Copenhagen and about 6 hours from the East Coast.

Not as the plane flies.

It's a more than a couple of hours Frank. I flew nonstop from Los Angeles to London three months ago and total flight time was 10.5 hours. NY to London is around half that.

I love going to Walt Disney World in Florida. It really is much more than a kiddy amusement park, it is quite an experience. The cuisine can be absolutely outstanding. The parks themselves are awesome, but the resorts are impressive themselves. I had always gone for a day and had the "amusement park experience" and had a great time. This last time we did the whole shebang. We stayed at a mid-tier resort, bought the dining package and the experience was completely different and quite amazing. We had no children with us. To me WDW is not really an amusement park (actually 4, plus 2 water parks and 24 big resorts). We parked the car and didn't get in it again for a week.

I've always wanted to go to Victoria and Albert's in the Grand Floridian (I'd love to stay there too but OMG the cost!), even better to dine at the Chef's table there. But, alas, although DD might join me, her hubby wouldn't and it's not a place you take kids. And, like I wrote before, Craig hates Disney and it's worse than pulling teeth to get him there. They'll allow kids after a certain age but it's extremely expensive and it's unwritten that it's adults only. Guess it will have to stay on my bucket list.

Hmm, not, I think, the first local delicacy I will seek out when I eventually make it across the pond.

New England in the fall is on my list of to-does for my retirement. Hackneyed and touristy, I know but at least it's not Disneyland. I'm sure Florida is beautiful and well worth a visit but my heart sinks when yet another Brit says they're going to America for their vacation and when asked where, the answer is Disneyland. Yes, I know it's their money so it's their choice but there are so many interesting/beautiful/historical/etc., places to visit in the USA but all that Brits seem to want to see is bl**dy Micky Mouse! :mad: Some of them go two or three or more times, with or without the excuse of young children! And it's not just Disneyland USA. I used to work with someone who had been to Disneyland Paris FIVE times and never once took in Paris itself!

(That last paragraph should probably be in "Petty Vents" :rolleyes: )

If you like to fish, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario is one of the finest fly fishing spots in the nation, as, depending on the time of the year, you can catch brown trout, rainbow trout, steelhead, Chinook salmon, pink salmon, atlantic salmon, brook trout, pike, and a few other species. But you have to go in from the Canadian side as there is no access from the USA side (where I live, of course, heavy sigh). A guide can get you to places where you will catch great fish.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

But you have to go in from the Canadian side as there is no access from the USA side (where I live, of course, heavy sigh). A guide can get you to places where you will catch great fish.

Chief - Of course you can get there from the U.S. Ya take the I75 north through Soo Michigan across the bridge to Soo Ontario. Right across St Mary's River. :glare:

Last edited:
Chief - Of course you can get there from the U.S. Ya take the I75 north through Soo Michigan across the bridge to Soo Ontario. Right across St Mary's River. :glare:

No, no, can't be done. When you get onto I75, you leave Sault Ste. Marie and enter state property, and stay on that until you reach the Ontario border, which then runs directly into Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. From within the city limits of Sault Ste. Marie, MI, there is no access to the St. Mary's River rapids, unless you are willing to break the law and walk across either the flood gates, or the train tracks.

And so, as you can see, RJD, as stated, there is no access from Sault Ste. Marie, MI.;)

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

But you have to go in from the Canadian side as there is no access from the USA side (where I live, of course, heavy sigh).

No, no, can't be done. When you get onto I75, you leave Sault Ste. Marie and enter state property, and stay on that until you reach the Ontario border, which then runs directly into Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. From within the city limits of Sault Ste. Marie, MI, there is no access to the St. Mary's River rapids, unless you are willing to break the law and walk across either the flood gates, or the train tracks.

And so, as you can see, RJD, as stated, there is no access from Sault Ste. Marie, MI.;)

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

As you can see, my response was to your original statement that, as I quote, " But you have to go in from the Canadian side as there is no access from the USA side". There is actually access from the USA side or there wouldn't be any point in having the boarder crossing. Where the boarders are of SSM Michigan I have no idea and couldn't really care less so long as I get across every time we go up, get my gas fill up, and then scurry back quickly to Canada.

As you can see, my response was to your original statement that, as I quote, " But you have to go in from the Canadian side as there is no access from the USA side". There is actually access from the USA side or there wouldn't be any point in having the boarder crossing. Where the boarders are of SSM Michigan I have no idea and couldn't really care less so long as I get across every time we go up, get my gas fill up, and then scurry back quickly to Canada.

Just so you know that there is a price for entering the U.S. Let it be known that 2 pounds of Balderson Heritage, 7 year aged Cheddar will be placed on the porch leading into the domicile of one Chief Longwind of the North as per statute 19845 set forth by the Ontario, Michigan, Canadian, and U.S. governments;):rolleyes:.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When we lived in Northern New York State, we went to Maine in late September for several years. It was beautiful there. i miss being able to do that.

Back
Top Bottom