Idle curiosity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
A television comedy from way back when, "Roseanne", came up in conversation today and I thought I'd ask you what a "loose-meat sandwich" was. (The heroine of the series bought a diner which served said sandwich but it was never explained)

We had a discussion on this a while back. It's basically a sloppy joe sandwich.

Last edited:
Generally, loose-meat sandwiches are sloppy joes without the tomato sauce. They are made from hamburger (mince) with onion. Brown the meat with the onion. You can add salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, etc to go with your tastes. Spoon it on a bun.

We had a place in town here that had them on the menu when Rosanne was popular......HORRIBLE. They lasted about a month.

Last edited:
We had a place in town here that had them on the menu when Rosanne was popular......HORRIBLE. They lasted about a month.
Hmm, not, I think, the first local delicacy I will seek out when I eventually make it across the pond.

New England in the fall is on my list of to-does for my retirement. Hackneyed and touristy, I know but at least it's not Disneyland. I'm sure Florida is beautiful and well worth a visit but my heart sinks when yet another Brit says they're going to America for their vacation and when asked where, the answer is Disneyland. Yes, I know it's their money so it's their choice but there are so many interesting/beautiful/historical/etc., places to visit in the USA but all that Brits seem to want to see is bl**dy Micky Mouse! :mad: Some of them go two or three or more times, with or without the excuse of young children! And it's not just Disneyland USA. I used to work with someone who had been to Disneyland Paris FIVE times and never once took in Paris itself!

(That last paragraph should probably be in "Petty Vents" :rolleyes: )

MC, I hate Mickey, Donald Duck and anything that has the word "Disney" on it.

You won't be sorry if you come to New England. You will feel right at home. I think the Boston accent is the closest to the English accent as you can get outside of the British Commonwealth countries. As much as I love Boston, I think if you are looking for real country beauty, Vermont is the state to visit. So many covered bridges, white churches with a clock in the steeple. FYI, in New England if the church has a clock in the steeple, it is most likely a Congregational church. Or at least started out that way. And come in the Fall. The changing colors of the leaves can take away your breath. You do have to be careful if you are driving. Leaf peeping can hypnotize you and you forget you are behind a wheel.

Of course Boston's history is closely tied to England. I think that is why Queen Elizabeth II has come her so often. I have often thought that if I were the dignitary greeting her here, I would not want to point out our history. A very big reminder that her relative King George III lost the colonies. :angel:

Some of them go [to Disneyland] two or three or more times, with or without the excuse of young children! And it's not just Disneyland USA. I used to work with someone who had been to Disneyland Paris FIVE times and never once took in Paris itself!

(That last paragraph should probably be in "Petty Vents" :rolleyes: )

One version of a familiar quote is this:

"No one in the world, so far as I know . . . has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people."

Actually, it's Walt Disney World in Florida. I'll admit I love going to Disney. Craig hates it. I have no idea how many times I've been to WDW. I took DD and sometimes 1 of her friends multiple times a year when she was young, from about 2 to 14-15 years. Sad to say but I was way past needing a map to find anything, even bathrooms, and could tell you pretty much what was on the menus of the restaurants, even the ones that changed from time to time. I've been with the grandkids a few times but between the fact that it has gotten so expensive plus the fact that the ankles, knees and hips don't handle Disney days so well anymore, just can't go and keep up with the kids.

While visiting Paris Disney might be fun, I'd never skip Paris itself over it though.

However, back to the original topic, I always thought Roseanne's loose meat sandwich was something like this

Recipe Request: The Stewart's Scramburger!!!!!

I like this way better than a traditional Sloppy Joe, not as "gloppy" (my term).

Last edited:
A television comedy from way back when, "Roseanne", came up in conversation today and I thought I'd ask you what a "loose-meat sandwich" was. (The heroine of the series bought a diner which served said sandwich but it was never explained)

They are an AWESOME Iowa thing! :yum:

Described well above. Ground beef, onion, usually cooked in beef broth, piled on a soft hamburger bun.

They are usually called MAIDRITES

Last edited:
I know that Addie loves her New England and I do too, but I feel as passionate about the West, especially California and the Pacific North West of this Country. I hope you are able to get this far someday MC, as too many visitors from across the pond visit only the eastern states, and go home thinking they have at a true feeling of the country. Believe me, the first Disney park and "Hollyweird" is not the true California. :rolleyes:

I know that Addie loves her New England and I do too, but I feel as passionate about the West, especially California and the Pacific North West of this Country. I hope you are able to get this far someday MC, as too many visitors from across the pond visit only the eastern states, and go home thinking they have at a true feeling of the country. Believe me, the first Disney park and "Hollyweird" is not the true California. :rolleyes:

I love the Pacific Northwest. My heart still skips a beat every time I see Mt. Ranier.

We had a discussion on this a while back. It's basically a sloppy joe sandwich.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Now that there's funny.
I seem to remember you telling me that they were "nothing like a sloppy joe" when I said that they were like sloppy joes, but cooked with a different sauce/juice :wacko:
Thank you! ;)

I love the Pacific Northwest. My heart still skips a beat every time I see Mt. Ranier.

On a clear day we can see Mt. Ranier and Mt. Baker from different directions on our highway. It is such a beautiful view. We are only 15 minutes from the US border. But we can only look since we still haven't got our passports! :(

On a clear day we can see Mt. Ranier and Mt. Baker from different directions on our highway. It is such a beautiful view. We are only 15 minutes from the US border. But we can only look since we still haven't got our passports! :(

When I lived in Spanaway, south of Tacoma, I would open my drapes in the morning and there was Mt. Ranier and when I went out to the back porch to get my broom, there were the snow capped Olympic Mountains. Year round God given beauty.

My next door neighbor had a fireplace. When the kids were in school, we would go out to Mt. Ranier Nat. Park to pick up small branches and trunks for her fireplace. The two of us would each grab an end and toss them into the bed of her pickup. It was in the late fall, and the Ranger warned us that if we got caught in a whiteout, to stand still. Sure enough we got caught. We were standing there and heard a noise. And it wasn't coming from either one of us. After the whiteout cleared, we both looked at each other and saw the biggest, baddest, bear running in the opposite direction. Did that stop us from going back? Of course not. We were young and foolish. :angel:

Last edited:
Actually, it's Walt Disney World in Florida. I'll admit I love going to Disney. Craig hates it. I have no idea how many times I've been to WDW. I took DD and sometimes 1 of her friends multiple times a year when she was young, from about 2 to 14-15 years. Sad to say but I was way past needing a map to find anything, even bathrooms, and could tell you pretty much what was on the menus of the restaurants, even the ones that changed from time to time. I've been with the grandkids a few times but between the fact that it has gotten so expensive plus the fact that the ankles, knees and hips don't handle Disney days so well anymore, just can't go and keep up with the kids.

While visiting Paris Disney might be fun, I'd never skip Paris itself over it though.

However, back to the original topic, I always thought Roseanne's loose meat sandwich was something like this

Recipe Request: The Stewart's Scramburger!!!!!

I like this way better than a traditional Sloppy Joe, not as "gloppy" (my term).
Sorry for the mistake in the Disney title. I'm sure it's great for kids but I think I'd still want them to see New England and the Rockies and Jamestown/Yorktown/Williamsburg and Washington DC and San Francisco and New York and dozens of other places.

I suspect that not many Brits make it to the west coast as it's twice as far as the east coast. When my cousin used to come from Australia on a visit she used to either come or go via the west coast of America and stop off for a few days. (Apparently Australia>UK>Australia used to be cheaper if you booked your flight as a round the world trip rather than flying back the way you came)

There was a series of TV programmes on about 30 years ago called "Great Railway Journeys of the World". On one of them the presenter (Ludovic Kennedy IIRC) went coast to coast across America with all sorts of detours to famous and/or interesting places. Now I wouldn't mind doing that.

MC, if you are coming all the way across the pond, you should consider visiting Canada too.
But of course. Do the US and Canada allow foreigners to stay for 3 years when it's supposed to be a vacation! I think I'd need a green card to see all I'd want to in one holiday!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom