I'll never buy tortillas again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I shudda known - it just never occured to me. I've seen videos, etc. on it, but kneading just gives a certain feel. When I get that lazy I'll buy wonder bread (yuk).

Babe: Sons-in-law (daughters, too) may come and go, but good eats is forever!

Hi Tanya,

They look great! Is there any chance you could share your recipe? If not I'm sure I could easily find one, but I like the idea of a TNT one IYKWIM ;).

Thanks

Hi - you stir together 1 cup all-purpose flour, 4 cups wholewheat flour and 2 teaspoons salt. Rub in 1/2 cup olive oil, make a well in center and pour in 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Mix with fork, sprinkle with additional flour and knead. Make little balls and cover with cloth. Let stand for at least 1 hour. Roll out and fry at high heat - as soon as you see a bubble forming on top turn over cook for about 20-30 seconds and turn over again and cook for another 20-30 seconds. Enjoy!

Mine came out very crispy. Did I do something wrong? They were good but not what I was expecting.

Mine came out very crispy. Did I do something wrong? They were good but not what I was expecting.

Maybe you didn't roll them out thinly enough? I made again last night and didn't roll it out as thinly as it was last time(my tortilla press aka DH was otherwise occupied:LOL:) - it wasn't pliable enough to make tortillas with so I folded it in half and made burritos which were also nice. It wasn't crispy though.

Hi - you stir together 1 cup all-purpose flour, 4 cups wholewheat flour and 2 teaspoons salt. Rub in 1/2 cup olive oil, make a well in center and pour in 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Mix with fork, sprinkle with additional flour and knead. Make little balls and cover with cloth. Let stand for at least 1 hour. Roll out and fry at high heat - as soon as you see a bubble forming on top turn over cook for about 20-30 seconds and turn over again and cook for another 20-30 seconds. Enjoy!

Thank you!

Thanks - believe me if I can make it anyone can. No I didn't use a tortilla press - I don't think you even get tortilla presses in South Africa:) DH was my tortilla press :LOL:

Thanks for the inspiration, Tanyak! I'm picking up my tortilla press tomorrow from Mazunte off Main Road, Observatory. Which is actually how i stumbled across this thread .. LOL!

Thanks for the inspiration, Tanyak! I'm picking up my tortilla press tomorrow from Mazunte off Main Road, Observatory. Which is actually how i stumbled across this thread .. LOL!

Never been to Mazunte but if they stock things like tortilla presses I'll definitely have to pop in next time I'm in the area !

Looks good there, nice job!
I showed it to the wife and said I would probably need a press as I am not that good with working dough, and she said, "Awww you don't need a press, it's can't be that hard to make them". I said, "thanks for volunteering!"
LOL.

These look great! I made them once before, but my memory had recorded that it was a difficult process (I believe i also used corn flour). You make it sound easy, so I think I'm going to try again with your instructions. Thanks!

Sounds great. Tortillas have always been hit and miss. I live in a VERY small town, and when I need them, there is never a good bodega around. Sometimes a can get some good store bought ones, and other times, they all break to pieces. I work too hard on my fajitas to end up with some crappy tortillas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom