I'm making chili for 100. Any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairygirl69

Senior Cook
Ok so much my husband and I are participating in a paranormal festival in our area. I came up with the bright idea to make chili and bread for 100 people and sell it for a profit. Does anybody have advice for me?

100 real people, or are some of them entities?
That could affect how much you will actually need... or think you need.
;)

I know I am a bit of a worry wart but, I think this type of thing is a bad idea unless your paranormal group is taking this on as a project.

For an individual to get the proper permits, insurance etc to set up a legal food vending booth for one event is a lot of work and expense.

One spiritual entity with a bad case of the trots could ruin your life! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I know I am a bit of a worry wart but, I think this type of thing is a bad idea unless your paranormal group is taking this on as a project.

For an individual to get the proper permits, insurance etc to set up a legal food vending booth for one event is a lot of work and expense.

One spiritual entity with a bad case of the trots could ruin your life! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

:LOL: I agree, Aunt Bea. I wonder how the permit/insurance thing works with local chili cookoffs, where the public is invited to eat and judge the entries. Anyone can enter.

And epazote is a good thing.

Last edited:

Yes, you must get the permits, insurance, and jump through your city's hoops. In the chili cook-off held in my town every year, the chili has to be cooked in a kitchen approved by the local health inspectors, with all ingredients listed, and where they were purchased, how they were cooked and prepared, what temp they were cooked to, how they were stored and at what temperature, how they were reheated, and finally, the pot of chili is tested with electronic thermometers on site before the public is admitted.

As was said, all it takes is one person who gets sick while eating your chili. They could even get it by eating at some other establishment, and then eat your chili. Law suits can ruin you. This is why a line from the band Metallica rings true - "Sad but True". There are things done in our society that break my heart.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Chili or chili beans? If it's beans and you intend to cook the beans a day before the event make sure the batch is stirred frequently during cooling to prevent the beans from souring.

The people who are in charge of the event say they have it covered.

I was vending at a large reptile show in Daytona Beach. A friend was working the booth of another vendor, who told him it was cool to have some of his own animals for sale under that vendors permit. The FWC didn't agree and he went to jail.:rolleyes:

Make it mild in heat and have some hot sauces for individuals to add their own. Been to a lot of festivals and they make it to hot for one taste and end up mad and throwing it away. I like it hot but a lot of people don't. I also would also have a selection of different topping to put on besides hot sauces like cheese, onions, I like Fritos on the top of mind and maybe corn bread or a corn muffin.

A 16 oz. portion seems like a lot. I'm assuming there will be other booths with food available? If you plan to feed 100 people a full meal, you will have lots of leftovers and probably few profits. I would think 8 oz. plus toppings and bread would be plenty. That's assuming you get the safety/permitting issue worked out. I worked a barbecue cook-off once and health inspectors kept coming around randomly to make sure the food was being held and served safely.

It was more a part of a project like a bake sale so i really didn't need chili for 100 lol. No matter we're freezing it for this summer's taco salads and chili dogs as well as chili mac, tamale pie, I may even stuff tamales with my chili. I sold the most out of everyone who brought food. I was so proud. Several people asked me what was in my chili. Hubby thinks it should be a family only recipe. But I can give hints! :-D

craig, the fwc are a bunch of snakes to jail someone like that...

it sounds like you had the event, already?

if not, (even if so, lol), i agree with gg once again.

a pint container, like one of those sold in chinese restaurants to hold soup, would be sufficient served with a small dinner roll or piece of italian bread, and maybe you could offer some diced onion to go on top along with some hot sauces.

btw, you never answered, or maybe i missed it: chili with or without beans.

craig, the fwc are a bunch of snakes to jail someone like that...

it sounds like you had the event, already?

if not, (even if so, lol), i agree with gg once again.

a pint container, like one of those sold in chinese restaurants to hold soup, would be sufficient served with a small dinner roll or piece of italian bread, and maybe you could offer some diced onion to go on top along with some hot sauces.

btw, you never answered, or maybe i missed it: chili with or without beans.

Whoops! Sorry it's chili with beans but I used dried not canned. In Ohio we like beans with our chili.

Back
Top Bottom