I'm not sure how to cook this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Celianna

Assistant Cook
I'm a novice at cooking, and have been cooking for only a few months, trying random recipes and some worked, some haven't.

Right now I have this idea to cook my potatoes in the oven, simmering in chicken broth and some added vegetables (green onion, regular onion, garlic etc) for some extra taste. Then I started thinking about which meat I wanted to go with the potatoes, and I decided butterfly porkchops. Now, I want to cook the butterfly porkchops along with the potatoes, to get all the taste in there as well - but I have no idea how to go about this. I don't know how long to cook it for, which temperature to use, how much I need to fill the tray with chicken broth before it's too much, or if it's even a good idea. Some tips on how to go about this would be really appreciated!

also depending on the size of the pork chops and the size and type of the veggies, you may need longer cooking time for the veggies over the pork. something else to think about if your only putting everything in the oven.

That does sound kind of like what I want to do, but how would I go about the potatoes then? Would I first cook the potatoes for like half an hour, then add the pork later? The butterfly porkchops are about an inch thick, so how long would I cook it for?

Last edited:
hmm potatoes can definetely take awhile to cook. Not sure how fast they'll cook in liquid if put directly in the oven. i suppose you could always roast the potatoes first or you can par boil them on the stove first until somewhat tender. The smaller you cut the potatoes, the faster they'll cook too.

i just cooked some very thin on the bone pork chops. Cooked them at 400 for 14 minutes or so. pork doesn't need to be as well done as people sometimes think. Plus meat should always rest for at least 5 minutes and the degrees will increase a little while resting.

Hmm, cutting up the potatoes to make them cook faster seems like a nice idea, even though I wanted to keep them whole. My sister did the same thing, cooked whole potatoes in the oven along with some duck, it was delicious.

So if I cut up the potatoes and add in chicken broth and the other vegetables, set the oven to 350 F, add the porkchops and cook for about half an hour to 45 minutes, would that seem like it could work?

Hmm, cutting up the potatoes to make them cook faster seems like a nice idea, even though I wanted to keep them whole. My sister did the same thing, cooked whole potatoes in the oven along with some duck, it was delicious.

So if I cut up the potatoes and add in chicken broth and the other vegetables, set the oven to 350 F, add the porkchops and cook for about half an hour to 45 minutes, would that seem like it could work?

cooking small whole potatoes in the oven is great if it's going to take as long to cook as the meat. Parboiling or chopping them fairly small should help. If your cooking a pork loin that could be a different story. I don't remember what size the pork chops are - but I don't think i've ever cooked pork chops much longer than 40 minutes or so tops. Sounds like it could work for you. I don't know about others, but sometimes I have bad luck with carrots too. They take a long time to cook as well. As with the potatoes, the smaller/skinnier they are cut up - they quicker they do cook though. You could always throw the potatoes in first and than when there 1/2 way done or feeling a bit tender, throw the meat in.

Last edited:
I'll try doing it that way then, braising the potatoes first, then add the porkchops later. I'll be looking at recipes that braise potatoes to see how long it takes for it to be done so I can calculate when to add the pork chops. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

You mentioned you have butterfly chops. Wouldn't you rather stuff them? Just a thought. :)

Actually I would braise the meat first and add the potatoes later. The meat will cook much slower than the potatoes.

Actually I would braise the meat first and add the potatoes later. The meat will cook much slower than the potatoes.

I guess I'm thinking about the pork chops I buy a they tend to be fairly thin and don't take a long time too cook at all. Although I'm use to searing on top of the stove or just baking in the oven and not braising. I have had many dinners get delayed because potatoes and or carrots have taking soooo long to cook in the oven. Once, again usually baking and not braising. So that is why my line of thinking is to be careful about the pork chops being done but the potatoes not quite being done yet. Perhaps braising is different.

Braising is generally a long slow cooking in liquid in the oven. Usually meats cooked this way are fall off the bone tender but it does take a long time and veggies will fall apart when cooked as long as the meat...at least that has been my experience.

Back
Top Bottom