I'm saving you $60 bucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Jenny, yes, "Sally" is my first dog, my daughter is nuts over her. Thanks for the information. Wow, I don't think hot pepper affects dogs (I have not tried!!) but someone else told me something like that, the dog did'nt react to the hot pepper it picked up. The vet told me after she gets home, she is not to eat anything till Wed. am, and thats just 1 scrambled egg!!!! Depending on my nerves, I just may stay home on Wed with the dog.

i was told in order to keep dogs from pooping on my front lawn, just sprinkle some powdered cayenne around. the dogs will sniff it, and it will bother their nose so they'll go elsewhere. well, it didn't work, in fact, now all of the chihuahua's in the neighborhood meet on my front lawn.

then someone suggested kimchee. no good also. but a korean family bought the house next door, must have made them feel welcome...

Try oil of wintergreen...you can get it, waxed, on like a big fusee match (obviously, its not a match!)...

If you want to experience some of the pain yourself, just take a drop of it on your skin...noting that water does nothing to eliminate, and much to spread the burning sensation...and animals feel it exactly the same....

They will avoid your place like the plague...

Lifter

i have a similar cat formula:
for an upset kitty tummy, boil chicken breast or a chicken thigh. save the broth. when it's cool, blenderize it with the broth.
you can add Cat-sip.
(i used regular milk, BUT, my cats all drink regular milk several times a day; they love it and it doesn't upset thier stomachs, but from what i understand, most cats cannot digest it well. so i wouldn't recommend that for any cat who doesn't usually have real milk.)
i also fed him meat baby food and bland instant mashed potatoes and his vomiting subsided almost as soon as i put him on this diet. i eased him onto regular food again, and he was better soon enough.
after a few days on chicken breast, we went to chicken thighs, and i added a little dash of salt and garlic powder. i took all of the skin and fat off so it wouldn't weigh his sick stomach down.

buckytom said:
then someone suggested kimchee. no good also. but a korean family bought the house next door, must have made them feel welcome...

We eat kimchee a lot at my house and both of the dogs love it. They also love tofu and korean dumplings. Schnitzel will eat anything with a carbon atom in it. Mind you, they do not eat very much human food, but want a nibble of most everything and they are no worse for it. Of course, I would not give such things to a pup. Pups have delicate systmes and also are more prone to food allergies and reactions.

Baby food and rice are great for dogs of any age with upset stomaches. Works every time, assuming that the problem is an upset stomach and not something else that is inhibiting appetite.

We dropped off the dog this morning and they hit us with that they want ALSO pull out 4 of her baby teeth while she is under anesthesia for spaying. "Its standard procedure, if her baby teeth have not fallen out by now they won't and its better to extract them now instead of bringing her back in for sedation"..... It would have been nice if this was discussed with me when we brough her in last time. I don't know what to expect tonight when I pick her up now.

so what if a few of her baby teeth didn't fall out. i never heard of that being a cause for concern... my dad still has one of his baby teeth believe it not.

Middie, you said your father still has one of his baby teeth. That happened to my son. Specifically, my son had a front tooth that did not and would not come out when his other teeth came out. The trouble was that he had "a supernumary (sp?) tooth" that prevented the adult tooth from pushing out the baby tooth. Normally adult teeth push out the baby teeth. In my son's case he had surgery to get out the extra tooth and put the adult tooth in position to push out the baby tooth. He looked funny when the baby tooth did not come out. We found this out through a dental xray. Now he has a nice smile. :)

Lifter said:
Try oil of wintergreen...you can get it, waxed, on like a big fusee match (obviously, its not a match!)...

If you want to experience some of the pain yourself, just take a drop of it on your skin...noting that water does nothing to eliminate, and much to spread the burning sensation...and animals feel it exactly the same....

Lifter

I LOVE the smell of this stuff. Jewelers use it for some purpose, but I don't know what for.

Lifter said:

Lifter

thanks for the tip lifter. but i don't want to hurt the dog. he's just doin what comes naturally. i'd like to get a bucket of it for it's owner tho...

Dogs have good noses, and will catch on right away...

Owners don't, and may give you a bit of "glee" if they are dumb enough to carry any away with them...

Will briefly mention my "exposure" to cutting up hot chili peppers (without gloves) the first time, and being stricken with a "call of nature" in the midst of the opration...you can imagine the frantic dancing that was happening...

Oh well, if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

Lifter

Oil of Wintergreen one of the VERY POISONOUS essential oils:
http://www.essentialoils.co.za/essential_oils/wintergreen.htm

When I took Sally home last night, she was SO SORE from the spaying and removal of 3 baby teeth. I gave her ice cubes to lick up, then she stayed in her bed all night.

This morning she was better, cleaning herself, a bit more energetic. She ate her scrambled egg and drank water. I think she will get better as the days go by. Thank you all for kindness.

Otter said:
Do dogs get hairballs? Bridget sort of wheezes and gags when she first wakes up.

Otter, I had a maltese for 13 years & she got hairballs because she had a bad habit of chewing on her paws. So, I guess the answer to your question is yes...tey are more common in long haired dogs than short haired ones though.

Thanks crewsk. We took Bridget in several months ago and the doctor prescribed some pills for her to take. After several months, there hasn't been any improvement. The doctor said the only way to check for hairballs was to put her under and give her some iodine so the hairball would show up - was that the case with your dog?

No, the hairballs she got were usually big enough for the vet to feel. He put her on a cat medicen that was in a tube(it's been so long ago that I don't remember what it was called)& it dissolved the hairballs. We gave it to her when she would start the gagging thing or throwing up & if it would clear it up in just a couple of days.

Thanks, crewsk. Bridget has medium length hair and does chew on her paws and groom herself frequently. The vet we take her to is really good (saved her life a few years ago when another vet said she was going to die), but he definitely seems oriented on high dollar cures. The pills are brutally expensive and have had no positive effect so far.

Our dog Billy chews his paws also, especially one of them. Our vet gave us some liquid stuff to put on his paws, but it doesn't seem to deter him much.

Vet said it's basically a nervous habit, and not particularly worrisome. Billy doesn't seem to have a hairball problem.

thanks for the trick!

PA Baker said:
elevate the cat's food bowl--we have ours on a brick. It's helped a lot!

I really needed to learn that... our cat is anywhere from 6 to 9 years old, being a rescued cat we don't know the exact age... I am going to elevate his bowl! Can't wait to see the results...

Now I think I will have to glue the bowl down to the brick, as our cat is almost 20 lb and will push the bowl off the brick...

Jocelyne

Charlotte, if you don't want to do the glueing to the brick thing, there are some bowls available that are quite heavy so that they don't move when the dog or cat is drinking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom