Infusions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Okay--I have a pint of vodka, 2 sprigs lavender, 1 sprig rosemary one jar in the cupboard. From what I read, one is to taste-test it 3-5 days in. I also have a pint white vinegar (topped up with a dry white wine--instead of saving the wine frozen, thought I'd toss it into an infusion) with 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary and pink pepper corns. I don't have any fresh garlic at the moment. I want to do an infusion of the lemon grass and either vodka or vinegar but I thought I'd taste-test this whole infusion thing before I committed to 750 ml or 1 l. The gal at the LCBO told me to keep my receipt and if I ddin't like what turned out, bring the other bottle back.

Thanks for the idea about what to do with our lemon grass. I've had limited success dabbling with fruit infusions in vodka, brandy or rum. Excise taxes and teetotaler regs. have had a dampening effect on my alcohol infusion dabbling. Sure would be nice to be able to make some ersatz low sugar Campari.

Last edited:
I tasted the rosemary-lavender infused vodka yesterday. I find that the lavender is the taste that I pick up on first...the amount of rosemary to lavender was 3:1. Not sure what I'll do with this...not sure I like it. I'm trying to develop a taste for lavender...I tend to like the seeds better than the leaves...the vinegar needs more time, but I think the flavor of the vodka is as flavorful as I want it, just don't know what to do with it now. The lemongrass one needs more time. I added some black peppercorns to it on Monday--I'll taste it again next week~

I have some other herbs I want to try--but I'm too embarassed to go to the LCBO and buy more vodka so soon. I also wanted to try jalepeno peppers...

Last edited:
I would do some nice, straight up martinis with the rosemary-lavender Vodka. . .maybe shake with some of your local honey, and a twist of lemon peel? Wash the glass with some citron first?

Not too late to add some pink peppercorns to the mix too, give it a little kick.

Lavender makes me sleepy. . .so does vodka. I think you have a great sleeping aid at your disposal. What a way to go!

Straight-up taste test week #2--it is sweeter and more mellow (if that makes sense). I like the rosemary-lavender infusion more this week (perhaps too much!). The lemongrass-ginger has a strong ginger taste so I've added more lemongrass. I found the vanilla beans I bought in April--so have those infusing as well. We'll see how the upped amount of lemongrass works, and the vanilla.

Almost on week 3, and I think I've got it. The flavor has mellowed (rosemary-lavender) and I really like it (once I got past the "green" color). Now the flavors have melded and it is really smooth. The lemongrass-ginger is interesting, maybe another week?

Hah! after reading your first post I was going to mention that my favorite flavors with lavendar are honey and vanilla. TATTRAT already mentioned the honey and you have the vanilla infusing. Try mixing the 2 vodkas when the vanilla's done and adding a touch of honey. I'm not sure how it will be with the rosemary, but it's worth a try!

Okay--the lavender-rosemary-red/pink peppercorn vinegar is very nice. The lemongrass ginger vodka is tasty, might need to mellow a bit more, and the ginger vodka is still harsh, it needs at least 2 more weeks.

Back
Top Bottom