Insights on dried bean curd..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How hard is it to make tempeh? Now that I have read that it can be made from legumes other than soy, I have an interest.

How hard is it to make tempeh? Now that I have read that it can be made from legumes other than soy, I have an interest.

Its relatively easy to make. tedious , but easy.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-tempeh-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-202369#post-recipe-9312

Im not sure if this link is the actual recipe/ directions I used in the past, but it looks right.

You got to boil the beans, then let them cool
Then you gotta kinda rub them with your hands to kinda break them in half and removed the hull portion ( not all of them, but a good portion) . The hulls ( for the most part) float to the top of the water, and they have to be skimmed off.

Then the beans are drained, mixed with a little vinegar to provide the right PH ( to kill off unwanted bacteria and provide a good ph for the fungus to grow)

A Tempeh started is then mixed in. This is the one Ive used

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tempeh+s...h+starter+,aps,177&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_15

The beans are then loaded into ziplock bags which have been pierced with a pin, tack...in inch increments to allow oxygen in during the fermentation process.

Once the bags are loaded and zipped shut, they are placed into an environment of 85 Degrees to do their thing for about 1 -2 days. I used my dehydrate at 90F ( thats the lowest it goes, but it worked out fine.

I suggest checking it after 24 hours. Once there is enough growth and th tempeh holds its shape and is kinda firm, it is done. It then has to be refrigerated or frozen. Ive leet if go the full 48 hours and found that it was kind of over fermented ( could have been the slightly extra heat).

I find homemade tempeh is a little softer than store bought. ( could be because theirs is vacuum packed, dont know).

Ive seen tempeh made with chickpeas and I think kidney beans, Its on my list of things to try but haven't yet. I think this link is where I saw it ( again, I never made it or anything from this source)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKmwcLfWL-k&list=FLrzL8D9ys-dLoT4zX7CCoBg&index=35&t=534s

Everything I mentioned above is abbreviated, be sure to follow the recipe for the exact process, ingredients and measurements. But as I said, easy just tedious. Is it worth the effort? maybe .

I like seeing ( and understanding) how things are made. So for me, it's interesting, educational and fun.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and experience Larry. Pictures of the packaging and uncooked product I got from Kroger below. I made this for breakfast a week ago. No picture but treated it like a sausage patty. Slice to half the thickness and cooked on a nonstick skillet in a little olive oil. Got more black than browning. Might have been better cooked slower in more fat but was so dry and tasteless that if I just don't throw away the leftovers, the next try will be slowly simmered in 'bout any kind of sauce. It could be that this isn't the right brand or maybe this is somthin' that'll just never be my cup of tea.
View attachment 49512
View attachment 49513

I think I buy a different variety of the same brand.
Yes , for the most part it is tasteless
If fried correctly it should have golden crispy outer crust, and a softer, kinda beany/ grainy inside.

Ive brushed it with BBQ sauce and baked it ( or tossed on the grill)
My favorite is as I posted above , just fried until golden with soy sauce. Thats the first way I ever had it, and probably the only way I really like it. I was supposed to go to an Indonesian restaurant a month ago, where tempeh is a common ingredient. I was hoping to get new ideas, but found out last minute that the place was closed for he week I was in town.

I have read other people crumble it up to use as taco meat substitute for tacos, sloppy joes, ....

Honestly, I dont see it. Even though they can be crumbled up, they still have a beany consistency , not a meaty one. therefore, I have never tried it or intend too.

Bland flavor, almost tasteless, So taste needs to be added, and consistency has to be considered .

BTW
is it known whether dried bean curd (YUBA) is produced in awful conditions in china or not?
anyone with an answer?

Here is a pic of the mushroom stuffed rolls

cooking with these ( the sheets ) are a little technique sensitive . Kinda like using rice paper when making rolls in them.

There is a fine line between not hydrated enough and hydrated too much.
If not enough its crispy and it will break apart when trying to work with it. If hydrated too much, will just fall apart.

The sticks are much more durable, but harder to be creative with.

I never actually tried the recipe of the link below, but it looks about right

Susan's Savour-It!: Mixed Mushrooms Beancurd Rolls (Cold and Pan-Fried)...

just as a follow up on this post
I finally got around to making this.
I attempted a few weeks ago, when I picked my shiitakes, but I had bought the dried tofu skin sheets in stead of the frozen sheets. The dried are completely unworkable , I dont even know why they sell it. It either breaks apart or disintegrates in water as you try to rehydrate it.

I abandoned ship, froze the soaking liquid and stir fried mushrooms for a later attempt ( today).

Made my way to the Asian market and found the frozen sheets.

The recipe offers 2 options. Fried and Un-fried.
Only difference is the crisp-factor. Taste is exactly the same.

I did 2 and 2 . My wife doesn't eat much fried food , but I wanted to give it a go.

Thumbs up on both.
Glad Ii put my Shiitakes to good use.

2 tips if anyone attempts it.
1) definitely 100% go for the tofu skin sheets found in the freezer.
2) when soaking / dipping it into the liquid to soften, submerge/ remove and then fill with mushrooms. Don't let it sit or it will tear easily and become unworkable ( found that out on my first attempt). Very similar to hydrating rice paper.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 7.14.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 7.14.24 PM.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 7.14.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 7.14.13 PM.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 7.13.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 7.13.59 PM.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom