Iodized Large Flake Salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not completely positive but I think the different colored salts get the color from certain minerals from the region it comes from. Salt is salt but different minerals have different benefits. There are sea salts that have ocean/sea minerals and cave salts with those minerals. This is what I have come to understand. But as I said I could be wrong.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of kosher salt, but I like having iodized salt as well. Does anyone know if they make a large flake salt with iodine in it?

Why are you so worried about getting iodized salt? You're in Puget Sound? Go to the shore, take two deep breaths, and you have more than your minimum iodine requirement for at least a year!

I'm not completely positive but I think the different colored salts get the color from certain minerals from the region it comes from. Salt is salt but different minerals have different benefits. There are sea salts that have ocean/sea minerals and cave salts with those minerals. This is what I have come to understand. But as I said I could be wrong.

In fact, all salt is sea salt.

The difference is that some of it comes from current oceans and some of comes from oceans that have long since dried up and left their salt behind in salt mines.

It's all sodium chloride. Refined salts are more pure and less expensive than specialty salts that leave the impurities in the salt. It's those impurities that impart the special flavor notes and colors in specialty salts.

The difference is that some of it comes from current oceans and some of comes from oceans that have long since dried up and left their salt behind in salt mines.

It's all sodium chloride. Refined salts are more pure and less expensive than specialty salts that leave the impurities in the salt. It's those impurities that impart the special flavor notes and colors in specialty salts.
+1. Just to add to this, those impurities are often minerals (like the iron oxide in pink salt), but there isn't enough to make a difference nutritionally.

Why are you so worried about getting iodized salt? You're in Puget Sound? Go to the shore, take two deep breaths, and you have more than your minimum iodine requirement for at least a year!

I wish!

Years and years and years ago when I was taking a chem class, I wanted to recreate an experiment at home. It require NaCl without the iodine. So that's what I bought at the store and since I had it, I just kept using it.

Well, I started sweating like ninety. Great big huge wet stains under my arms and I tried every deodorant on the market. I even went in and saw the doctor. He thought it might be diet related and the only thing I could think of that I changed was the salt. I went back to regular iodized salt and I was fine.

Flash forward to this month. All of a sudden I had problems with sweating again. I would walk slowly down the aisle shopping and I would just be dripping by the time I'd reach the cashier. And it would just get worse and worse. I'd have sweat rolling down my face and my shirt would just soak through the back just while I stood in line waiting to check out. The only time I didn't sweat was when a fan or the wind was blowing directly on me.

I had forgotten about the chem experiment I did, but a friend reminded me of it when I called her and said something about the sweating. When I remembered about the chem experiment, I realized that for the last 6 months, I've been using kosher salt exclusively. So...time to go back on the iodized salt again.

Now after a couple weeks back on that, I feel much better, but I do miss the flakiness of the kosher salt.

Anyway, I want to thank you all for posting and GG, I will definitely try out that Diamond Salt .

Last edited:

It might be, but I know there are places where you can get the salt off of rocks and stuff. Now that I'm thinking about it, the place where the family lived in "Old Yeller" was called Salt Licks, I think, and that was in Texas.

Maybe the area they were in was covered by ocean at one time.

It might be, but I know there are places where you can get the salt off of rocks and stuff. Now that I'm thinking about it, the place where the family lived in "Old Yeller" was called Salt Licks, I think, and that was in Texas.

Maybe the area they were in was covered by ocean at one time.

It is, actually. Much of the United States was covered by salty inland seas in the past. As the seas retreated, they left salt deposits. Southeastern Michigan, where I grew up, there's a gigantic salt mine under the city of Detroit.

Re: Texas: https://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/trans-p/images/he3.html

Back
Top Bottom