Iodized salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To the contrary, to me table salt tastes more salty. As a matter of fact, Kosher salt is a larger flake, and can't even be used in a normal table salt shaker. Table salt is much denser. I have a very pretty covered salt cellar with a matching spoon for my KS. Perhaps you can't taste the bitterness in table salt, but many people can, including myself.;)

But, does iodized salt cause a noticeable bitter taste in recipes?

I have never found it to. Tasting the salt plain I can absolutely tell, but in say a soup or on a roast or something like that I would not be able to tell a difference.

I actually went and had blood work done specificaly for thyrode probelm. I am with in normal range, but close to the high end. I decided to switch from kosher salt to Iodise, well as soon as I run out of the kosher salt.

Well let's see. Speaking just for myself, the taste of my cooking has improved since I started using Kosher salt several years ago. I'd like to think that my accumulated skill in that time is the reason, but it could be the salt. :whistling:unsure: :LOL:

Well let's see. Speaking just for myself, the taste of my cooking has improved since I started using Kosher salt several years ago. I'd like to think that my accumulated skill in that time is the reason, but it could be the salt. :whistling:unsure: :LOL:

I take that to mean you use Kosher salt in cooking? Do you use iodized salt at all or do you rely on vitamins? Do you use table salt or Kosher on the table?:LOL:

Last edited:
Okay, I'm convinced to try Kosher salt. I picked up a box at the store today. Now, are there dishes you use this in especially?

i prefer it on pretzels, and i like to use it as a finishing salt on grilled veggies that are drizzled with evoo, especially grilled asparagus.

i even spread some out on a tray and made my own smoked salt. it's delicious adding the tiniest bit of smoke flavour to the dish.

I use kosher salt or sea salt exclusively...also have some smoked sea salt. It is all used at whim. Depends on how I feel as I have all three in cellars by the stove. I do not salt once it's on the plate, Shrek has a shaker of sea salt.

I can absolutely taste a difference between iodized and non-iodized salt (in certain applications). I use kosher salt exclusively at home.

Iodine was added to salt at a time when people did not get enough from their regular diet. Diets have changed and now most people get plenty of iodine in other foods where they do not need to supplement it with iodized salt.

Exactly.

I only use table salt when I bake. Otherwise kosher or sea salt. The salt dish next to the stove contains kosher salt.
The salt shaker on my table is sea salt. I have $ sea salts for finishing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom