Irish Recipes that Aren't Corned Beef and Cabbage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Late Night Gourmet

Assistant Cook
I realized what day it is, and remembered that St. Patrick's Day is coming up. Then, I thought to myself, "Do I have to make corned beef and cabbage?" Of course, I could ignore the holiday and make whatever I want if I weren't part Irish (I'm Rob Perini from the Clan Perini...I wonder if anyone gets that reference?) But, rather than racking my brain trying to figure out a fitting tribute that's less boring, I found this:

Irish Recipes For St. Patrick's Day That AREN'T Corned Beef And Cabbage | The Huffington Post

In other words, the above picture isn't mine (you can tell because it's properly lit and it looks tasty). I do have some potatoes that I have yet to make into something, and it seems that every recipe here uses them.

I did consider trying to make an exciting take on corned beef and cabbage. But, it's too cold in Michigan to leave the windows open to ventilate the house. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't make corned beef or cabbage because I don't like them, and of course, they aren't actually Irish. I'm going to make a real Irish dinner - pan-seared herb-crusted lamb chops, roasted potatoes and a salad (that last might not be traditionally Irish, but it goes well with the rest ;) ). And I'll make extra potatoes for boxty. I made it for the first time a couple years ago; need to make it again.

That apple cake sounds good. Maybe I'll make that, too.

Corned beef and cabbage on March 17th is an Irish-American tradition. Nothing to do with Ireland at all.

BTW, that was our dinner last night. I make that dinner because I like corned beef for its other uses like hash or reuben sandwiches. I often buy corned beef on sale and make it later in the year not as part of a 'boiled dinner'.

Give med champs or colcannon with bangers and Guinness and I am happy. My husband just want potato farls, bacon , eggs and black pudding and he is happy.

Corned beef and cabbage on March 17th is an Irish-American tradition. Nothing to do with Ireland at all.

BTW, that was our dinner last night. I make that dinner because I like corned beef for its other uses like hash or reuben sandwiches. I often buy corned beef on sale and make it later in the year not as part of a 'boiled dinner'.

That's what we did yesterday. Just enough corn beef left over for two sandwiches. We had three taters and just two carrots. The carrots were for me. I also tossed in a small piece of cabbage for me also. I bought a small CB only because I didn't want a lot of leftovers.

I might buy one on the 18th for the freezer. They will still be on sale.

A few years ago I created a St. Patrick's Day Brunch for the Amoretti Test Kitchen blog. Take a look and help yourself to any recipes you find interesting. All the recipes were made (by me) and served to the Amoretti employees on St. Patrick's Day. It took me 5 houirs and I worked my butt off all by my lonesome because my sous chef called in sick, so I hope you enjoy the fruits of my labor!

A few years ago I created a St. Patrick's Day Brunch for the Amoretti Test Kitchen blog. Take a look and help yourself to any recipes you find interesting. All the recipes were made (by me) and served to the Amoretti employees on St. Patrick's Day. It took me 5 houirs and I worked my butt off all by my lonesome because my sous chef called in sick, so I hope you enjoy the fruits of my labor!

This looks absolutely beautiful...I love the idea of a brunch! My eyes immediately went to those spinach pancakes (need to find some Dubliner cheese!) Thanks for posting!

I wouldn't go as far as to say boiled corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes isn't entirely Irish.

The preparation and 2/3rds of the ingredients certainly are. It's just that the corned beef is American. In Ireland, a ham joint would have been boiled instead.

Also, there would always be 2 veggies with the potatoes (at least).

But.... I LIKE corned beef and cabbage. :yum:

I'm not all that concerned whether it's traditional Irish - or traditional Jewish, for that matter. It's really the only time of year that I ever eat it, or think about eating it. So I'll enjoy my annual indulgence and wear something green. :lucky: :mrgreen:

By the way, I never boil corned beef. Instead, I prefer to braise it slowly in the oven with just enough liquid (white wine and a little stock) to keep it moist, as well as with a few slices of fatty bacon laid over the top, which renders its fatty goodness into the meat.

img_1502777_0_138d1f6081d6b48815038818a93a83f9.jpg

Last edited:
But.... I LIKE corned beef and cabbage. :yum:

I'm not all that concerned whether it's traditional Irish - or traditional Jewish, for that matter. It's really the only time of year that I ever eat it, or think about eating it. So I'll enjoy my annual indulgence and wear something green. :lucky: :mrgreen:

Wow...if it looks like this, then I'd definitely want some! It seems that people wreck a perfectly good side of beef by boiling it.

LNG, the idea is to simmer it, not boil the life out of it. ;) I've always done the water-bath cooking method, until this last corned beef. I simmered the meat on Monday, just in case we lost power on Tuesday (figured I could always cook veggies in the broth on the camp stove in an emergency). I kept the meat in the cooking liquid overnight and popped the pot into the attached garage. Yesterday I warmed it up gently, then took the beef from the liquid when it was room temp, put it into a baking dish and covered with foil, and popped it into the toaster oven while I cooked all the veggies. The beef was moist, tender, and the best corned beef I ever cooked. BTW, I always add at least half a bottle of Guinness to the pot of water after I skim the foam off the top of the water. ;)

About the Dubliner: try Trader Joe's. Or Aldi. I've bought it at each store in the past. Or Meijer - don't they sell everything? :LOL:

As for non-corned beef dishes for St. Paddy's Day:

Boxty

Bubble and Squeak

Champ

Colcannon

Any of those potato-based recipes would go great with bangers - or Irish sausages. TJ's has carried those, but a decent, garlicy sausage would do. The "Bangers and Mash" dish that the local Irish pub (authentic - owned and operated by a couple who still have their born-in-Ireland brogue) served sausages that resembled breakfast sausages. In a pinch, those would do.

Since we had CB&C yesterday, I plan on making Bangers and Mash for our dinner on Friday, using either the champ or colcannon recipe.

LNG, the idea is to simmer it, not boil the life out of it. ;) I've always done the water-bath cooking method, until this last corned beef. I simmered the meat on Monday, just in case we lost power on Tuesday (figured I could always cook veggies in the broth on the camp stove in an emergency). I kept the meat in the cooking liquid overnight and popped the pot into the attached garage. Yesterday I warmed it up gently, then took the beef from the liquid when it was room temp, put it into a baking dish and covered with foil, and popped it into the toaster oven while I cooked all the veggies. The beef was moist, tender, and the best corned beef I ever cooked. BTW, I always add at least half a bottle of Guinness to the pot of water after I skim the foam off the top of the water. ;)

About the Dubliner: try Trader Joe's. Or Aldi. I've bought it at each store in the past. Or Meijer - don't they sell everything? :LOL:
It sounds like you ended up with a beef brisket-style of preparation (which makes sense, since corned beef is processed brisket). Seeing how you did it, I already have thoughts of making reubens with the beef I haven't bought yet. :yum:

I was surprised when you mentioned Meijer until I saw that you have Ohio roots (and, you got the name right, too..."Meijer" not "Meijers" :)

I had a faux reuben for lunch. Corned beef on toasted scali bread with sauerkraut, provolone and russian dressing because that's what I had on hand.

Reuben sandwiches are Dx;s Most Favorite sammie. And one has to make corned beef first. I think last year we went out for lunch for CB & cabbage after the St Paddy's day parade, followed by a trip to the store for deli CB. Not the same thing.

I think we are making CB dinner on Saturday. with lots of carrots. I know for sure I want to make baked whole apples and ice cream for dessert. Not Irish as far as I know.

And I am pretty sure I will make Irish soda bread. I have dates to use up and may chop some up to add. I have a recipe that uses dates or raisins and caraway.

Back in the early '60's my husband worked in a Jewish Deli. One of his jobs was to go downstairs first thing in the morning and take all the new brisket cuts of meat and inject them with the brine from a large barrel. Then once they were all done they were allowed to sit in the barrel of brine for a couple of days. My memory may not be too complete for the procedure, but what I do know is that about once a month he would give me one to take upstairs to our apartment after it had been properly aged. And no, he was not stealing it, the owner told him he could take one from each batch that came in. He is the one who taught me to just put it on a very slow simmer. Aside from the Reuben sandwiches, I have always loved the veggies that go with the meal, instead of the meat. Potatoes, turnip, carrots, cabbage.

Back
Top Bottom