Irish Whiskey Cake - ISHBEL??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
In an advertisement today in the local paper from a prominent northwest small market, they had an ad for Irish Whiskey Cake for St. Pat's day. Ishbel ever hear of it or is it another creation on this side of the pond??? I do not know if I would pay 11.99 for a 7" cake, buy I certainly would not mind trying to bake one. Maybe it is a bundt type of cake with holes punched into the finished product and a whiskey based sauce poured over? might be good.

norgeskog said:
In an advertisement today in the local paper from a prominent northwest small market, they had an ad for Irish Whiskey Cake for St. Pat's day. Ishbel ever hear of it or is it another creation on this side of the pond??? I do not know if I would pay 11.99 for a 7" cake, buy I certainly would not mind trying to bake one. Maybe it is a bundt type of cake with holes punched into the finished product and a whiskey based sauce poured over? might be good.

I had a look in one of my Irish cookbooks. I went to a cookery course at Ballymalloe School, run by Darina Allen. Here's her website which would seem to say that an Irish whiskey cake is a type of British christmas cake - with fruit etc! You have to scroll down the page of recipes to reach the whiskey cake!

BTW - the Ballymaloe school is great. If you can get any of Darina's books they are well worth the money!
http://www.cookingisfun.ie/letters/2003/october/cakes25th.htm#Irish%20Whiskey

PS I am no means an expert on 'Irish' cuisine - although I've visited there a lot and spent many happy childhood holidays at a friend's summer home in Donegal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom