Is shrimp an unclean animal to eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well some people suck the heads (I don't but will first chance I get) and its not considered gross. Similar to mud bugs.
I will need fresh shrimp with heads on to try the head cheese. I'm certain I will like it?

I like to butterfly bread and deep fry. Or scampi. Or steamed. Or boiled. I love shrimp.

The heads are one of the reasons I love crayfish! Plus, the heads make a good stock! I also love shrimp.

Boiling is the worst way to cook shrimp because it can overcook and get tough very quickly. You can poach it, grill it, pan-fry it, roast it or bake it in a sauce. One of my favorite ways to prepare it is to bake it in tomato sauce seasoned with sautéed onion and garlic, oregano, lemon juice and S&P, topped with feta cheese.

Did....er......

Did Forrest and Bubba just walk in? :chef:

MsMofet beat me to saying it! :LOL:

Last night I cooked some shrimp, using my new kitchen toy for the first time - the sous vide circulator. The shrimp was excellent - not the least bit overcooked or rubbery, like it usually is in a restaurant. I only had a few, dipped in that leftover Thai basil emulsion sauce. Tonight, the rest goes into some jambalaya - I'll just put some jambalaya in a bowl, then a layer of the shrimp, then another layer of jambalaya. This way, it will warm up, but not get rubbery. I always save the shells in a bag in the freezer - I'll take some, and make a quick broth to flavor the jambalaya, since the shrimp aren't cooked in it.

That sounds great!

I always purchase the raw, skin-on, deveined shrimp. I peel, then boil the skins for broth. It makes for a very tasty version of what I Like to cal - Essence soup. If you make little slashes aolong the belly, then dip in tempura batter, the shrimp is perfectly cooked by the time the batter is lightly browned and crisped. I also love to butterfly the shrimp from the belly side, stuff with crab meat/breadcrumb stuffing (like crab cake), then coat in seasoned breadcrumbs (seasoned with Old Bay), then fried until golden brown. Of course poached in butter/garlic, then served with cocktail sauce is high on the list as well. Then there is always shrimp in marinara sauce, or with linguini and shrimp veloute sauce. Barbecued on skewers is awesome.

One on the Iron Chefs, Michael Simon won his competition in Next Iron Chef by making a shrimp sausage. I haven't tried to duplicate that yet.
I once ate a shrimp burger at a little restaurant on North Island Naval Air Station was made up of ground shrimp with seasonings. It was very tasty.

With shrimp, I think it's much more versatile than most of us think.;)

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

With shrimp, I think it's much more versatile than most of us think.

Yup... but my favs are:

Shrimp cocktail with a really good cocktail sauce.

Scampi, over angel hair (wish I could find a way to cut fresh angelhair pasta).

Cioppino, with clams and assorted fish.

Ravioli.

And perhaps my all time fav... (I include my recipe cause I bet few of you have ever had it):

1 lb raw shrimp
1 egg white, beaten
1 cup cornstarch
1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons catsup
1⁄4 cup vinegar
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sherry wine
1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1⁄4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
5 tablespoons green onions, chopped
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon orange zest

Peel and devein shrimp.
Slice in halve lengthwise.
Rinse well pat dry.
Add the egg white to shrimp mix well.
Mix 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Add to the shrimp.
Stir to coat well.
Add 1 1/2 tablespoon oil and mix well again.
Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
Remove the shrimp and dust with remaining cornstarch.
Shrimp should be dry to the touch.
Heat fryer to 350°F; shake off excess cornstarch and separate shrimp.
Have the first two steps of the sauce* ready.
Heat a cast iron skillet.
Fry till golden brown while starting the last 4 steps of the sauce*
Combine the shrimp with the sauce* and toss quickly to coat.

Serve over steamed white rice. Enjoy, it's amazing!

*To make the sauce:
Combine the sugar, salt, vinegar and catsup; set aside.
Mix the sherry and cornstarch; set aside.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in hot cast iron.
Add garlic, ginger, zests, green onion and red pepper.
Cook 30 seconds; stir in catsup mix.
Immediately add sherry mixture and cook till slightly thickened.

Andy, back in the 80's it was an offering from the Panda Inn of Santa Monica, CA named Sweet and Pungent Shrimp. They also made it with chicken.

The Santa Monica location is gone, but the still have a number of other locations in southern California, although they now seem to be calling it Sweet and Aromatic Shrimp.

It's also known as Chinese Popcorn Shrimp.

If you're referring to the dark stringy thing you pull out of the shrimp's back, it's not a vein - that's a euphemism. It's the digestive tract. There could be roe along the belly.

Yes I know its the digestive tract. Just using the term vein as its used the most.
The reason I am thinking roe is it was yellowish color. Not the dark vein usually seen when de-veining.
It was also larger than what I am used to seeing. Kind gross actually.
And yes I was removing veins as the shrimp were large. 16-20 count.
Not all had this yellowish stuff.
They were labeled Red Shrimp. Frozen and wild.

Back
Top Bottom