Is shrimp an unclean animal to eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
someone once said that since shrimp occupy the bottom part of waters they eat other creatures dumpings which makes them unclean to eat. What do you think?

someone once said that since shrimp occupy the bottom part of waters they eat other creatures dumpings which makes them unclean to eat. What do you think?

It's good for a laugh. People have been eating shrimp for a very long time without issue. I'm not concerned and I don't think you should be either.

I don't worry about it. After all, when was the last time you heard of someone getting E. coli or salmonella from shrimp? Some people are allergic to them, but that is another topic. There are many other parasites in seafood, but usually the worst of these are in fish, but many in fresh water species in areas we don't get the fish from.

I love shrimp provided it has been cleaned properly (deveined). However, I have been to restaurants that serve shrimp "shell on", which means it hasn't been cleaned. Dunno why they do this... maybe it is for presentation purposes to show how magnificent their shrimp are, but as someone who has cleaned many a shrimp, I find it gross.

I love shrimp provided it has been cleaned properly (deveined). However, I have been to restaurants that serve shrimp "shell on", which means it hasn't been cleaned. Dunno why they do this... maybe it is for presentation purposes to show how magnificent their shrimp are, but as someone who has cleaned many a shrimp, I find it gross.

That would bother me also. Most "shell on" shrimp in restaurants I go to, split the back to remove the digestive vein.

My "shell on" frozen shrimp is that way also.

Ross

While in Australia, we stopped for lunch that offered "Box of shrimp and a beer". That sounded good to me until the box showed up:ermm:

Attachments

• IMG_5549.jpg
    IMG_5549.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 148
According to dietary laws, shrimp is halal for Muslims, as long as it is caught alive. Shrimp, or any other shell fish, is not permitted for those of the Jewish persuasion who keep kosher.

Well some people suck the heads (I don't but will first chance I get) and its not considered gross. Similar to mud bugs.
I will need fresh shrimp with heads on to try the head cheese. I'm certain I will like it?

Shell on shrimp just means the customer has to work to eat their dinner.

Shell on shrimp seems to cook better and it does not shrink up as much.
But the shell should be split and the vein removed if there is a vein.
I cleaned some last Sunday and they really needed cleaning. Looked like roe in there?

While we are on the subject what is the best way to cook shr.imp? Boiling I assume.

I like to butterfly bread and deep fry. Or scampi. Or steamed. Or boiled. I love shrimp.

But the shell should be split and the vein removed if there is a vein.
I cleaned some last Sunday and they really needed cleaning. Looked like roe in there?
If you're referring to the dark stringy thing you pull out of the shrimp's back, it's not a vein - that's a euphemism. It's the digestive tract. There could be roe along the belly.

While we are on the subject what is the best way to cook shr.imp? Boiling I assume.
Boiling is the worst way to cook shrimp because it can overcook and get tough very quickly. You can poach it, grill it, pan-fry it, roast it or bake it in a sauce. One of my favorite ways to prepare it is to bake it in tomato sauce seasoned with sautéed onion and garlic, oregano, lemon juice and S&P, topped with feta cheese.

Last night I cooked some shrimp, using my new kitchen toy for the first time - the sous vide circulator. The shrimp was excellent - not the least bit overcooked or rubbery, like it usually is in a restaurant. I only had a few, dipped in that leftover Thai basil emulsion sauce. Tonight, the rest goes into some jambalaya - I'll just put some jambalaya in a bowl, then a layer of the shrimp, then another layer of jambalaya. This way, it will warm up, but not get rubbery. I always save the shells in a bag in the freezer - I'll take some, and make a quick broth to flavor the jambalaya, since the shrimp aren't cooked in it.
My first sous vide cooking - shrimp. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Shrimp, after cooking 25 min., at 132°:
Finished sous vide shrimp. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom