Is there a winter squash variety that is not sweet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenwillow

Assistant Cook
Newbie here. I'm trying to eat healthier and reducing carbs as part of this effort.
Winter squash has been on my "won't touch it" list for many years. I'm not sure if it is the sweetness or the texture I dislike the most.

On the other hand, I'm seeing lots of casserole recipes that substitute winter squash for noodles and would be willing to give squash another try if I could find a variety that wasn't sweet. Hoping someone reading this is a squash expert and can chime in with their suggestions.

I'm not a squash expert, but spaghetti squash, once cooked, is stringy like spaghetti, and it isn't sweet, it is white. I like it with just butter and salt and pepper.

Most squash are not sweet, if cooked without sugar. I peel and boil/steam mine in salted water and put butter, salt and pepper on them. Yummy.

+1, Princess

One of my fave winter squashes is acorn. I usually cut them in half, scoop out the seeds, slice a little off the bottom so they don't fall over, stuff them with a seasoned bread crumb filling, drizzle a little olive oil over, and roast.

Since you're low carbing it though, greenwillow, you could cut them in half, and roast flesh side down at 350 for about 30 minutes. Once they're out of the oven and cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh, dot with butter or olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper or your seasonings of choice, and enjoy!

Welcome to DC, greenwillow.

Attachments

• acorn squash 1.jpg
    acorn squash 1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom