Is This Brand Sold Nationwide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never seen it here in Ohio or out west where I am from. Around here, this brand is popular.

dei-fratelli-crushed-tomato-w-basil-herbs-28oz-6-pack_20478539.jpeg

The packaging looks pretty similar to CENTO, which is what I use. I've never seen Pastene.

CD

Attachments

• 74546e79-9025-4c0e-8f0f-97edb9383c27_1.f8da5e5ff912e9d0037bf2142a6c217e.jpeg
    74546e79-9025-4c0e-8f0f-97edb9383c27_1.f8da5e5ff912e9d0037bf2142a6c217e.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 153
Well, it's obviously sold in FLorida in BJ's and Fresh Markets per the ad, although I haven't seen it. Don't have a BJ's membership and normally don't look at tomotos when I got to a Fresh Market.

Thank you all for responding. It appears to be a more local product, confined to the East coast.

We've been using them for years. We have Cento here but I've never seen the Dei Fratelli.

Andy, I bought this brand of canned San Marzano Tomatoes at an Italian specialty shop in Scottsdale, many many years ago. We were visiting with Mr&Mrs Dear Friend's at the time.
I remember it because that was the first time that I had seen
a) San Marzano Tomatoes (we were still living in Hawaii a the time)
b) a product shipped in from Italy
This was a wonderful shop that had oodles of stuff from Italy, a deli with kinds of goodies AND they served lunch, FUN PLACE!
I stashed a few cans in my suitcase to take back home and never found them again until we moved to the mainland, San Marzano tomatoes that is.

I haven't seen it in my area.

Many of the older Italians in this area use these close cousins of the San Marzano.

601854.jpg

I see the younger generation buying these.

68572.jpg

I know this is a month old but I can't find the first post.

Was it removed? ... why? ... what was the original question?

We have Pastene here in Quebec. All sorts of stuff, Artichokes, Olives, Hearts of Palm, etc...

OK, never mind, when I reloaded it just suddenly popped up!

Last edited:
Just looked it up in my ShopRite app. They have that brand. But I have never seen/or heard of "ground" tomatoes. Unless that is the equivalent of "crushed" tomatoes.

IMG_2097.jpg

Last edited:
Many brands of canned tomato here have a 'ground' tomato style. I use them a fair amount. Very handy to have on hand. Instant sauce.

Many brands of canned tomato here have a 'ground' tomato style. I use them a fair amount. Very handy to have on hand. Instant sauce.
Is "ground" the texture of crushed (slightly lumpy) or puree (smooth and thick) tomato?

Last edited:
It's not puree. Puree is cooked. Crushed/ground are uncooked.
Thank you Andy. I just wanted to get a idea of texture. I have never noticed or used any tomato product labeled ground.

but the texture is a little finer than the crushed but less than the puree.
Thank you. I will have to try this brand. I sometimes want something between the 2 for a quick sauce.

Back
Top Bottom