"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-01-2022, 04:47 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Appleton
Posts: 213
?---is Walmart food as fresh as supermarket foods

does Walmart stock their foodshelves with older food than other stores. I often wondered about that when buying there. And I wonder about Target also. I thought maybe they get their stuff cheaper because its dated and therefore can sell cheaper.

georgevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:49 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 28,090
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If you are worried about that, check the best before dates on the stuff you are considering buying.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:05 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,936
I can't speak for the results of either business model and execution, but the proof is in the pudding.

Have you noticed lesser quality ingredients from either store? Or is it just conjecture at this point?

Speaking plainly, have ypu had bad experiences with foods from either store?
__________________
"Love makes you feel strong, love makes you feel tender. Love makes you feel secure. Love makes you feel appreciated. Love makes you feel important..
We all need to feel that way, ya know?"
G.L. Chuvalo
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:46 AM   #4
Master Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 5,119
My goodness.

Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:30 AM   #5
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: NA
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgevan View Post
does Walmart stock their foodshelves with older food than other stores. I often wondered about that when buying there. And I wonder about Target also. I thought maybe they get their stuff cheaper because its dated and therefore can sell cheaper.
Wallmart or any other huge chain are massive operations with logistics fine tuned to the T, they cannot count on some producers having some old leftover foods to supply them with for cheap :)

At the same time, they have HUGE buying power and can negotiate better prices than the smaller competitors. Many producers are willing to take lower margins in exchange for the security of a massive longterm contract that allows them to plan better, produce non-stop etc...

Some of their products might be, and definitely are, of lower quality, especially when it comes to the private brands. These are meant to be cheap and the quality and contents reflect it... thats the same all over the world.
__________________
Cooking is my hobby :) Check out my cooking blog or YouTube Channel.
cookwewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:03 AM   #6
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Caracas
Posts: 1,317
Just had a quick look at Walmart online.
Over 4,700 supermarkets in the US.
Processes about $36,000,000 per HOUR in sales.
That means they have incredible bargaining power and the ability to purchase enormous quantities of foodstuffs at the cheapest prices possible.
I seriously doubt they´d be buying food that´s not as fresh as other companies.
What might happen at a particular store is that some products won´t sell as quickly as others, that´s all, so turnover is longer.
karadekoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:01 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 28,090
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookwewill View Post
...

Some of their products might be, and definitely are, of lower quality, especially when it comes to the private brands. These are meant to be cheap and the quality and contents reflect it... thats the same all over the world.
Not speaking about Walmart in particular, but some house brands are lower quality and some are really good and others are somewhere in between. You have to figure out which house brands are good for which products. Many items sold as house brands were actually manufactured by the big label companies, just with a different label.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:16 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: NA
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Not speaking about Walmart in particular, but some house brands are lower quality and some are really good and others are somewhere in between. You have to figure out which house brands are good for which products. Many items sold as house brands were actually manufactured by the big label companies, just with a different label.
Yup, I didn't want to sound like I look down on all private/house brands. But I treat these with a bit of caution, especially when they're much cheaper than their big label counterparts.

You're right that some of these are actually of very good quality and I do personally buy some, but most often than not, I stay away from them.
__________________
Cooking is my hobby :) Check out my cooking blog or YouTube Channel.
cookwewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:32 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 15,715
The main reason private label products are cheaper? No advertising costs. Lots of money spent on advertising Cheerios, none for Trader Joe's version...and Himself preferred TJ's version. Same with Rice Crispies vs Aldi Crisped Rice - we both prefer Aldi's.

Shout out to Aldi and their products. I first started shopping there in the mid-1980's for my Ohio Girl Scout troop. Hungry girls camping will eat anything! For the family, though, I got mostly milk and eggs. Aldi wasn't in New England until about twenty years later, after we had lived here five years. I could not believe the enormous improvement in the quality and flavor of their grocery products. It does take some adjustments to the difference between them and a regular U.S. grocery store, but I like saving money.
__________________
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." ~ Katharine Hepburn

In the end, only kindness matters" ~ from the song "Hands" by Jewel
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:12 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
The main reason private label products are cheaper? No advertising costs. Lots of money spent on advertising Cheerios, none for Trader Joe's version...and Himself preferred TJ's version. Same with Rice Crispies vs Aldi Crisped Rice - we both prefer Aldi's.

Shout out to Aldi and their products. I first started shopping there in the mid-1980's for my Ohio Girl Scout troop. Hungry girls camping will eat anything! For the family, though, I got mostly milk and eggs. Aldi wasn't in New England until about twenty years later, after we had lived here five years. I could not believe the enormous improvement in the quality and flavor of their grocery products. It does take some adjustments to the difference between them and a regular U.S. grocery store, but I like saving money.
I enjoy Aldi as well. I picked up a huge bone-in ham (my favorite) for Christmas dinner this year (er, well, last year) for $11. I hit Kroger after that for a few things I needed that Aldi didn't have and checked out their hams, for the heck of it. Basically, the same size and type of ham I got at Aldi for $11 was priced at $25 at Kroger.

As to the OP's question, I've never had any issues with food from Walmart, as far as cheaper stuff goes. I have, however, had many issues with finding outdated foods at dollar stores. Those you really have to watch. A lot of their items are already expired or about to expire.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:37 AM   #11
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 12,325
Walmart food is sometimes too fresh, especially frits, and veggies. Try and find properly ripe bananas, or ripe melons. Even the plumbs and peaches can be under ripe. Just when the bananas start to get brown spots, showing they are just right, they're removed from the shelves as many people won't purchase them.

As for other goods, because of their purchasing power, they can dictate to some companies how the products are to be made,, which is sometimes of lesser quality so that thee item can be sold for less. I won't name the brand, but I purchased a well known, high quality brand hunting boot from Walmart. They didn't hold up, or perform nearly as well as the same boot from a higher end store, that specialized in high quality goods. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

On the other hand, I found pork sirloin roasts at Walmart that were superior to the dame cut from other supermarkets. Meyer stores had the best food quality, and best selection of any store in our area. Their prices were higher though.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food, fresh

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.