ISO a good grits recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clutch

Washing Up
I've been looking for a good old fashioned, down south recipe for grits. I used to have them all the time and I'm starting to miss them. Also, I want to make them for my GF to show her that there is a difference between "instant grits" and real grits. She says they taste bad and I wanna proove her wrong like I have with quite a few things I have cooked her. :-p

Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks!

I follow the recipe on the grits cantainer except I use milk instead of water. Many times I add cheese, too. Garlic is certainly an option to add.

Is this what you had in mind or are you looking for something like Shrimp and Grits?

ditto! I love the garlic cheese grits recipe from the side of the quaker box! what a great side dish!!

I like the stone ground...so much more corn flavor...However I have eaten wash tubs of Quaker hominy grits...

Clutch...either one would beat light years ahead of ....I don't know if I can even type the word...Instant:yuk: grits...there I did it!

Just follow the directions..water is fine..milk is better..and cook longer than the box says..adding milk/water until they are creamy...If you go the stone ground grits then expect to spend at a minimunm of 30 minutes cooking them....Since she has an immature palate on grits..I would suggest the Quaker grits....
Your GF is a smart lady by the way...those ...ah "other" grits are just plain nasty!!

I've never even had instant grits, to my knowledge. I think I would notice the difference.

OK, here you go.
Get at least Quaker grits. Quick cooking is fine.
For 6 servings.
2C water
2C milk
salt
Bring to a simmer. Add 1C grits and cook stirring until thick.
Add 1C cheddar cheese.
Serve with country ham and redeye gravy.
OR
Add 1/2C chopped crispy bacon and shrimp for the classic low country shrimp and grits.

Cando...

It is too early in the week to be talking about country ham and red-eye....
I have to wait till Sat, morning for my next ration.:(

That was bad enough...then you had to go and say Shrimp & Grits...
Lets see...Monday Tuesday...Saturday!!!:LOL:

Thanks a MILLION everyone! Gonna try tomorrow, today was an exausting day and the hunny is picking up some Chinese. We only go to the family run one around here. It's an extra 3-4 mile drive, but they beat the **** outta the chain "wok" places (not to change the subject. LOL!!).

Once again, thanks for the help. I'll try prolly this weekend when we're both off and let y'all know how it goes.

Clutch - Make some grits with cream then add some mozzarella and Parmesan.

Brown some shrimp in butter and remove from pan.

Caramelize some onions and green peppers and andouille sausage (but kielbasa will do in a pinch) in some butter and olive oil. Once done add some flour and make a roux - stir for about 4 minutes. Slowly add in some beef broth until there is a gravy.

Mix the shrimp back in with the onion mixture. Slap some of those grits in the middle of a shallow bowl and pour the onion/shrimp/sausage mixture all around and top it all with some of that "gravy". Of course, add salt and pepper and some garlic in there with the onion mixture - certainly wouldn't hurt anything! Shrimp and Grits!

kitchenelf said:
Clutch - Make some grits with cream then add some mozzarella and Parmesan.

Brown some shrimp in butter and remove from pan.

Caramelize some onions and green peppers and andouille sausage (but kielbasa will do in a pinch) in some butter and olive oil. Once done add some flour and make a roux - stir for about 4 minutes. Slowly add in some beef broth until there is a gravy.

Mix the shrimp back in with the onion mixture. Slap some of those grits in the middle of a shallow bowl and pour the onion/shrimp/sausage mixture all around and top it all with some of that "gravy". Of course, add salt and pepper and some garlic in there with the onion mixture - certainly wouldn't hurt anything! Shrimp and Grits!

Sounds AMAZING!!!!!

A few Q's tho.

1, Should I chop or dice the onions, peppers and sausage?

2, About how much flour?

Finally, even tho this isn't a question, This is going to be GREAT! I'm getting heartburn just reading it or maybe it was the dinner of 2 onion bagels? :ermm:

Clutch said:
Sounds AMAZING!!!!!

A few Q's tho.

1, Should I chop or dice the onions, peppers and sausage?

2, About how much flour?

Finally, even tho this isn't a question, This is going to be GREAT! I'm getting heartburn just reading it or maybe it was the dinner of 2 onion bagels? :ermm:

Hey, you got heartburn on your own buddy! :-p

I like to julienne in about 1/2" strips for the onion and peppers. Diagonal slice the sausage.

For the flour? Just sprinkle a couple TBS over the onions and peppers and cook for 3 minutes to remove the floury taste. Pour in your broth and stir constantly to keep the "gravy" smooth. You don't want this to be too thick and you want it more beef broth flavor than gravy flavor.

Here is a much used and loved recipe in our city--for wedding breakfasts and brunches, etc. It is especially good because it can be made ahead of time, not a common thing with using grits.

SHRIMP-GRITS-ARTICHOKE CASSEROLE
CHEESE GRITS
1 C grits Prepare according to package instructions
4C water (or 1/2 water and adding cheese, butter, and salt.
1/2milk)
1/4 tsp pepper (white)
1 C shredded cheese
2 TBS butter
salt to taste
3Tbs butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/4 C sliced mushrooms
1 14oz. artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
2 TBS white wine
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and cooked
1/2 C fine bread crumbs
1/4 C Parmesan
2 C white sauce
Melt 3 TBS butter in pan. Add 3 TBS flour and 1/2 tsp salt and whisk smooth. Whisk in 2 C milk, bring to a boil stirring constantly. Season with dash of hot sauce and pepper. Cook until thickened. Cover with plastic wrap (onto surface) to keep from forming a skin.
Saute onion, mushrooms in butter until translucent. Add artichoke hearts and heat through. Add wine and cook until it evaporates.
Mix vegetables, shrimp and grits. Place in a buttered 9 X 13 casserole dish. Spread white sauce over the grits.
Mix 1/2 C fine bread crumbs with 1/4 C Parmesan Cheese. Sprinkle over the casserole and drizzle with a little melted butter.
Bake about 20 minutes at 350 until top is browned and the casserole is bubbly. Do not overcook or the shrimp will dry out and be overdone. Can be fixed one day early and refrigerated. However, remove from fridge at least one hour before cooking.

Thanks again everyone, but she still don't like them. She finally told me last night after I cooked them (as on the container subbing milk for water) she doesn't like mushy food.

Not to go to far off on a tangent, but she was hospitalized twice with cancer (beat it both times and it's now in remission) and thru that she now hates mushy foods and any food she can't chew (i.e. grits, oatmeal, ect).

I'm just glad I skipped out on the shrimp!

Clutch....

Give her a big hug from Uncle Bob..and tell her it is OK not to like grits...
You might wanna mention where I am from...and we take grits very seriously down here!:LOL:

Edit...I just saw the picture you posted! Make that one big, long, tight, bear hug!!!!

Last edited:
Uncle Bob said:
Clutch....

Give her a big hug from Uncle Bob..and tell her it is OK not to like grits...
You might wanna mention where I am from...and we take grits very seriously down here!:LOL:

Edit...I just saw the picture you posted! Make that one big, long, tight, bear hug!!!!

Well, I may be born and raised in Jersey, but I am a southern boy at heart. I even speak with a bit of a twang. I love spicy foods, I like a lot of down south recipes and I love my steak, I just find it very hard to cook for her cause she only likes bland food and god forbid you cook it in oil. I usually stick to EVOO and even than I hear it about how bad the food is for you cooked like that. Don't even get me started on breaded foods. But she'll eat those frozen pizza's and frozen tv dinners. :rolleyes: :glare:

I was enjoying the grits last night till she said she didn't like them. Than I just put them in a container and into the fridge. I was sad. :( I can't find anything she likes that I'll eat too. It's almost like I have to cook a COMPLETELY seperate meal for her. I just bought a sushi set cause I know she likes that and sashimi so I figured I'd learn how to make some of that stuff for her. I don't know what to do. :(

Compromise!!!;)

You cook what you like....She cooks what she likes...and you help each other with the KP duty. Gradually you might find common ground.

Patient you must be....

Back
Top Bottom