ISO a quick Christmas Snack recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keith204

Assistant Cook
I am home today, and my wife isn't... so I would like to bake something to surprise her... however, I am not a cook.. I can grill, but certainly not cook.

She gets home in 4 hours, so it'd have to be fairly quick and not require a whole bunch of ingredients... I'm looking for something "different" than we usually make, so no cookies, no pretzels with kisses and m&ms on top, etc. Any ideas on a clever Christmas snack I could make for her for when she gets home tonight?

BTW I'm new here!

Welcome.

I would suggest Truffles, they are easy and amazing (although they are better frozen). I don't have the recipe with me at the moment though...

What do you have on hand.... or is a trip to the store ok?

I'm looking for the Truffles I did for Valentine's day, but they might be a little more involved than what you have time for.
Got a candy thermometer? Caramels are good, or toffee. Mocha caramels are good too.

I have a thermometer... i've gotta find it, probably in our bathroom... is that what you mean?

Mocha caramels sound good... she likes coffee things (mocha is coffee + chocolate right?) and she likes caramel.

yeah that last part about the thermometer wasn't serious at all.. but guess what I found! a thermometer that says "Deep Frying - Candy - Jelly" and it is real big..... like 5 pencils stuck together.

let's go with the mocha caramel thing... do you have a link to a recipe you like, or could you post a recipe here?

wow you guys are fast!

LOL no it sounds like you need to go to the store then! It clips to the side of your pot. They sell them in the baking section.

I will send a private message w/ the recipe because I believe there is a copyright issue if I post it here.

Well, it's not christmas at my house until we have brownies. and, you could make them different by serving them with chilled egg nog sauce drizzled on top.

The warm brownie with the chilled sauce would be super good.
And if you want to be more fancy and festive. first pour some sauce on the bottom on the serving plate, add 1 or 2 dots of red and green food coloring and swirl into a decorative design to give it a definite christmas feel.

Here's a recipe for the sauce Traditional Egg Nog Sauce Recipe | Recipezaar

i actually think what i found is a candy thermometer...but it wasn't in the bathroom, it was in the kitchen, and it says the word CANDY on it. and it looks like it would clip on the side of a pot

Brave man, attempting to make candy on his first go. (assuming this is your first time making caramel) Hope it turns out great and your wife enjoys and appreciates your efforts!

Brave man, attempting to make candy on his first go. (assuming this is your first time making caramel) Hope it turns out great and your wife enjoys and appreciates your efforts!

that kinda makes me nervous! Well i'll give anything a shot. And yes, my wife is very forgiving.

Well there ya go. Hopefully they work for you, I haven't messed them up yet, they are pretty easy. I'd check the thermometer in boiling water though first, to make sure the temp is right. Mine is at about 217 when it should be at 212.

ok I got your PM.. I'm going to head to the store, be back in 45 mins!

Thanks a bunch! Woww!

if you have any tips on making this (make sure you... don't let it... watch out for...) let me know! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom