ISO anniversary menu ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NavyJeremy

Assistant Cook
Ok so my 5 yr anniversary is coming up and I would like to cook something special for my Wife. I asked her to pick out the protein that she would like and she said steak.

What I have in mind is to do a surf and turf with ribeye and Gulf Shrimp. I am looking to get some ideas that will just put that WOW factor to it. Being stationed in Italy I am a little limited on ingredients that I can use, but I am open to ideas.

Thanks
Jeremy

Jeremy doesn't need U.S. shrimp - Italy (& all coastal Europe for that matter) has fabulous quality shrimp/prawns of all sizes.

Surely you don't mean Gulf Shrimp from the USA, Jeremy!! Sigh. You get American news, right?
What a terrible disaster!!

Kayelle yes I do mean gulf shrimp, but since I am in Italy we the ones we get here have been flash frozen and I think that I have had them in the freeze for about a month. I think that I might go out to the market though and try to get some fresh ones.

Yes I know all about the tragedy and I have really taken it to heart as I am fish lover, both eating and catching. That might sound cold but I also care about the people that lost thier lives on that rig as well.

So true Jeremy, not to mention all the fishermen who's livelihood is wiped out for how many years to come? Treasure those Gulf shrimp. I saw on our California news that seafood from the Gulf would be at a premium price until the frozen supply runs out.
Sorry we got off topic for you.......I'm thinking about your wonderful dinner. Twice baked potatoes are always nice, and not messy for your lovely main course. I know your bride of five years will be blown away by your thoughtfulness. Congrats!! She's a lucky girl.

Thanks for the idea. I never thought about that, I should have seeing as how my wife loves them.

Ok so here is what I think that I am going to do....let me know what ya'll think:

Ribeye grilled with salt, pepper, and garlic powder
Shrimp sauteed with crushed garlic, oregano, and fresh basil
Twice baked Potatoes
Asparagus with Olive Oil and Lemon Pepper also on the grill

Just lacking a desert, I am pretty much an idiot when it comes to baking so I am thinking something cold but not sure what to do.

Instead of garlic powder on the steak, which can burn on the grill, make garlic butter and put a pat of it on each steak when they come off the grill. The butter will melt and you'll get the fragrance of garlic. I recommend using fresh garlic. You could even roast it to make roasted garlic butter.

when i am stumped for a special dessert. i make brownie sundaes. not homemade brownie, use a mix if you need to . put brownie in dessert bowl. put french vanilla ( really really good one) on top. whipped cream is next. drizzle a bit of choco sauce over cream. everyone i have served these to , loved them.

I would make a lemon tart... Make a graham cracker crust or you could make a similar crust but use ground up cookies instead or even a standard pre baked crust. Then add a layer of lemon curd (like home made lemon pudding which is easy to do). Top is with some sliced fruit like kiwi or berries and pass the whipped cream or creme fraiche.

You can make this ahead and refridgerate. It looks great, tastes great and is refreshing after a 'dense' meal. Add a chocolate drizzle on the plate under the slice for that extra ... well, you know....

Some possible recipes:

64 sq ft kitchen: Just To Celebrate / Juste Pour Célébrer

Steven & Chris - Elizabeth's Lemon Tart

Jamie's Bloggers / LEMON Tarts.....

GB!!!! Please describe the amazing way you baby your steak into greatness.
I do a dry brine. I liberally salt both sides of the steak then wrap tightly with plastic wrap. The steaks goes back into the fridge for 24 hours. The salt draws the moisture out of the meat, but then it dissolves and that salty liquid is drawn back into the meat seasoning it from the inside out.

What is her favorite dessert? Cake, pie, cookies? I'd do something based on that. If it is all equal, then what is the best in season. I'm counting down the days for finding awesome strawberries. Strawberry shortcake is just a few days away. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom