"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-10-2021, 03:12 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: ISRAEL
Posts: 128
ISO artificial sugar that caramelizes, such a thing?

is there such a thing as artificial sugar that caramelizes, in development?

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:56 AM   #2
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Caracas
Posts: 1,089
What exactly are you thinking of? Things like Stevia, splenda, aspartame, etc?
karadekoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #3
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: ISRAEL
Posts: 128
hi
no
i've heard from an expert in facebook that they are developing some kind of semi artificial sugar semi sugar that is very low in calories and still caramelize....
i don't have access to facebook so i can't even search.....


the guy who wrote this is a food expert and he wrote that in hebrew about a year ago..
SEEING-TO-BELIEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:20 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 11,520
I don't know what your goal is, but if you're after sugar free caramel sauce or caramel candy, you can make caramel with agave nectar instead of sugar.

However, if you're looking for lower calories, forget agave. Although it has a lower glycemic index and won't spike your blood sugar levels, agave nectar has the same number of calories as sugar; 16 per teaspoon.
__________________
The older I get, the harder it is to tolerate STUPID!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:30 PM   #5
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: ISRAEL
Posts: 128
Hi
Thanks for that
My goal was to share it with you and perhaps learning more about the project that i told you about. I dont even remember its name..
SEEING-TO-BELIEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:41 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Caracas
Posts: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEING-TO-BELIEVE View Post
Hi
Thanks for that
My goal was to share it with you and perhaps learning more about the project that i told you about. I dont even remember its name..
OK - I honestly believe you are yanking my chain.
(Look that expression up)
What is it you are going to "share" with us? Because at this precise moment, I donīt see any sharing at all - just asking.
"The Project I told you about"
OK - please enlighten me - whatīs the "project" all about? Because if weīre in a "project" together, Iīd like to hear your side of the argument. Can you "share" your results so far?
"I donīt even remember its name"
Well to be brutally honest, what are you doing here if you canīt even remember the name of the project, and obviously have no idea of any goal??
karadekoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:46 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 11,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by karadekoolaid View Post
OK - I honestly believe you are yanking my chain.
(Look that expression up)
What is it you are going to "share" with us? Because at this precise moment, I donīt see any sharing at all - just asking.
"The Project I told you about"
OK - please enlighten me - whatīs the "project" all about? Because if weīre in a "project" together, Iīd like to hear your side of the argument. Can you "share" your results so far?
"I donīt even remember its name"
Well to be brutally honest, what are you doing here if you canīt even remember the name of the project, and obviously have no idea of any goal??
Aren't you being a little harsh? I understood him perfectly.

The point of his post is that he read on facebook that someone was attempting to create an artificial sweetener that can be caramelized, which is the project to which he was referring and the information he was trying to share. He also relates that, although he read about the project, he doesn't remember what the project is called.

Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension!
__________________
The older I get, the harder it is to tolerate STUPID!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:56 AM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEING-TO-BELIEVE View Post
is there such a thing as artificial sugar that caramelizes, in development?

It seems that Splenda will carmelize:

https://kitchenatthestore.com/can-yo...elize-splenda/


Splenda is sucralose, similar but different than sucrose, which is sugar (or glucose or fructose).


I haven't tried it, but according to google, it carmelizes in a way that's similar to sugar, and has zero calories.



Does this help?
summer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 01:38 AM   #9
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: ISRAEL
Posts: 128
thanks
so maybe it's that


and i'm glad you told karadekoolaid that he wasn't nice....
SEEING-TO-BELIEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:00 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 4,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by karadekoolaid View Post
OK - I honestly believe you are yanking my chain.
(Look that expression up)
What is it you are going to "share" with us? Because at this precise moment, I donīt see any sharing at all - just asking.
"The Project I told you about"
OK - please enlighten me - whatīs the "project" all about? Because if weīre in a "project" together, Iīd like to hear your side of the argument. Can you "share" your results so far?
"I donīt even remember its name"
Well to be brutally honest, what are you doing here if you canīt even remember the name of the project, and obviously have no idea of any goal??
The wise thing to do, in a forum, is to just pass by a person or subject which upsets you.

Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:18 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
The wise thing to do, in a forum, is to just pass by a person or subject which upsets you.

Ross
+1. That's what I do ... often.
__________________
All our times have come. Here, but now they're gone.
Seasons don't fear the reaper.
Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain.
We can be like they are.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:22 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer57 View Post
It seems that Splenda will carmelize:

https://kitchenatthestore.com/can-yo...elize-splenda/


Splenda is sucralose, similar but different than sucrose, which is sugar (or glucose or fructose).


I haven't tried it, but according to google, it carmelizes in a way that's similar to sugar, and has zero calories.



Does this help?

Regular Splenda - I was going to suggest this also.


Splenda Brown Sugar is half real sugar, so it's not zero sugar but lower in sugar than regular brown. Maybe this is the "semi artificial sugar semi sugar" referred to.
__________________
All our times have come. Here, but now they're gone.
Seasons don't fear the reaper.
Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain.
We can be like they are.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
caramel, sugar

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.