ISO Beginner's really simple recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeafsFan1122

Assistant Cook
I'd like to get some suggestions on some really simple foods to attempt to cook. I have very little experience but I would like to start practicing at home.

What are some of the easiest things to make? Could be pastry, a full meal, dessert, anything really.

Thanks.

Hmmm, well I'm actually very easy going when it comes to eating, i'll usually eat anything. In terms of desserts, I like pretty much anything chocolate.

Maybe some pasta suggestions would be good.

You can make a simple tomato sauce very simply.

Saute a diced onion and a couple of cloves of garlic in olive oil until soft and fragrant. Add a can of san marzano tomato and some basil and/or oregano, salt and pepper and simmer for 30 minutes.

Server over the cooked pasta of your choice.

Great suggestion, thank you.

I know I'm being very vague in my request but It's just that I'm a complete newb to this kinda stuff to keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks again.

You are welcome to search some of the specific forums here for recipes and ideas. Check out the pasta forum to start if you like.

Here's an easy meal to make with pasta:

Simple Pasta Primavera

8 oz. pasta (penne or rotini work well)
1 clove garlic, minced
4 T. butter
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
1/4. t. basil
1/4 t. salt and pepper
1/4 c. white wine
chopped vegetables: carrots; green, red, and yellow peppers; onions; whatever else (adjust amount to suit your own pasta-to-vegetable ratio preferences)

Boil water and cook pasta 10 minutes or till al dente. Drain.

Melt butter on medium high heat in large sauté/frying pan. Sauté onions and add garlic. Cook for one minute.

Add vegetables and spices. Cook for 8 minutes or until tender-crisp.

Add wine and cook for one minute.

Add pasta to pan. Top with cheese and serve.

Last edited:
For something sweet...Buy a box of Quaker Oats (in the cereal section of the store) The "Quick" kind. It says "Quick One Minute" on the box. and follow the the recipe (exactly) inside the lid for Vanishing Oatmeal cookies. Then you can try adding pecans, or walnuts. Leaving the raisins out etc. They are very good and easy!!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Go to a bookstore and browse some cookbooks. Some books will have difficulty ratings for the recipes. Get one of those books and just scan for the simple stuff.

Go to a bookstore and browse some cookbooks. Some books will have difficulty ratings for the recipes. Get one of those books and just scan for the simple stuff.

Look for the cookbooks aimed at students - they tend to have the more basic recipes. Do NOT go for TV Chef books - they tend to overcomplicate things, great food but not easy.

The other good ones are Goodhousekeeping cookbook or a Mrs Beetons if you can get hold of one.

If you're a fan of seafood try this. it's quick, easy and SO darn good.

2 packages of immatation crab meat
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 jar of any brand vodka sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 can of black beans
1 can of corn
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
salt to your taste
1 package of egg noodles

Cook egg noodles according to package.

While the noodles cook, in a skillet heat oil, add onion and crab meat. cook until the onions get some color.
add corn, beans and all seasonings. stir and cook for a few minutes to let all the flavors come together.

Add cream and vodka sauce. let simmer on low for about 4-5 minutes.

Drain noodles, pour the noodles in to the skillet, stir to coat all noodles with sauce.
Enjoy!

Leafs, go to your area library and see what it has on the shelves. You'll be able to check out some cookbooks without buying them. Look for some basic ones and read them like you would read any other book. I do that all the time. It will help you to familiarize yourself with terms, techniques, measurements, etc. Many will have some photographs so you can see what the dishes should look like when done.

1 nonstick pan
1 egg
1 teaspoon basamic viniger
1 teaspoon soy sauce

Cook sunny side up and add BV and SS. Go over easy and serve

From the best recipes in the world cookbook.

I posted a recipe for stuffed shells in the thread ISO cheap and easy Recipies. There are other easy recipies there as well as mine. I'd link you to it,but haven't figured out how to do that yet. Good Luck in your cooking.

EDITED: Here is the link to Mikki's recipe for stuffed shells

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to get some suggestions on some really simple foods to attempt to cook. I have very little experience but I would like to start practicing at home.

What are some of the easiest things to make? Could be pastry, a full meal, dessert, anything really.

Thanks.

A lot of the simpler things would be Spaghetti. Use a canned sauce, fix it up with meat, 'shrooms etc. as you think fit. As you progress you can start making your own sauce.

Roasted meats are simple. roast in pot with veggies and water/wine learn what spices taste like.

Honestly... just start cooking. Pick out something not terribly complicated and follow the recipe BUT as you follow the recipe, figure out WHY you are adding or doing what you are doing.

Leaf, no one can tell you how to learn to cook until they know what you can do.

Can you fry an egg? Can you make a hamburger? Until folks know your basic skills I don't know how they can give you recipes.

leaf fans Try to get the Joy of cooking and old one preferably and try some of the simple dishes in the book. This book runs from very easy to complicated with plenty of easy in the catagorys you were suggesting. Study the technique's, the how's and why's of cooking and in no time you will be cooking for your girl friend/family/friends and loving every minute, good luck all ways smile

Can I suggest you go to nearest Toronto Public Library and look in the Cookery section -Section 641.5 They have a big collection of books. Or ask at the Information desk, they are very nice and helpful. And they have also the ethnic section where you can find recipes from different countries.

Sorry,I sent the message before finishing. In the library you can see the book and browse through the big collection, so you will be able to choose the one really you want to buy.

Back
Top Bottom