ISO best cookie dough/bars to freeze?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I've read the thread:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f43/freezing-cookies-66841.html

I'm heading to my folks' place in MN in April. Because of my mother's dementia, she can't follow recipes all the time (okay--most of the time she can't). She can, however, take something out of the freezer and put it in the oven (or microwave). One of the things she wants me to do this time is put some "treats" in the freezer in case they have to take something to the Sons of Norway potluck or someone is stopping in.

I freeze cookies all the time. She wants cookie dough so the cookies are "fresh from the oven" when she needs them, and a couple of "half-baked" pies (those are no problem--I usually do apple).

I know many of you are like I am, you freeze the finished product. Would anyone like to share which cookies / bars work well if you freeze the dough and bake later? I am thinking maybe some sliced cookies--slice off as many as you'd like to bake, dropped ccc, maybe some oatmeal-raisin cookie dough. Haven't go a clue what kind of bars might work well from the dough (freeze the dough in a ziplock, thaw, transfer to pan, bake?).

I'd do jar mixes of the dry ingredients, but I'd have to test to see if she can follow the instructions to add the wet and finish them. She can still do box cake mixes (not sure if it is the pictures she follows or the words or if my father reads the instructions to her). Or, if you have a "jar recipe" that has the shortening in and all one needs to add is an egg or just milk/water/buttermilk? (Low sodium)

Some days she is very lucid--others not. A lot depends on her stress level and fatique.

Going to these potlucks is stressful for her because she has to figure out something to wear, bring something (I think after a certain age, people should not feel obligated to bring homemade somethings...but these SON potlucks are similar to county fair cook-offs), there are people there whose names she can't remember, and my father leaves her and flits around talking to everyone in Norwegian (he is very proud of his Norwegian language skills now that he's been taking Norwegian classes). I would like to remove one component of the stress from these events for her since (a) she can't be left at home alone and they won't hire a sitter, and (b) my father won't stop going to these things. (He does need the social interaction--she doesn't--for her it is a frightening experience).

Can you tell I'm already stressing about my visit? When I'm in SE ON, I am removed from their daily lives, so don't have to think about these things...

Suggestions?

See if there is anything here that might work for you.

freezer cookies - Google Search

Thanks DavSoMD! I will take a look at the link (I usually go to Google U before I post, but thought I'd "fish" to see if anyone here habitually freezes dough--either a caterer or pastry chef or restauranteer). I admit it, I was lazy--looking for s/one else to do my research.

I trust DC members <g>.

I had run the search before looking for the same thing so I knew there were lots of good things there.

CW, this makes me want to cry (pregnancy hormones don't help). Your Mama is lucky to have you. I'm sure she appreciates your care. I wish so badly that I had a recipe for you! I hope you find ones that work!

Back
Top Bottom