ISO best oils for frying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree. I stopped using canola oil for the fishy smell.

Canola stands for Can (Canada) OL stands for the Oil and it is said that the A stands for acid.

I also read that the Company that creates the oil will use whatever the cheapest oil on the market is that day of purchase. That is what made me stop using it. Am I getting corn oil today? Or is it some other oil? Like fish oil?

Canola stands for Can (Canada) OL stands for the Oil and it is said that the A stands for acid.

I also read that the Company that creates the oil will use whatever the cheapest oil on the market is that day of purchase. That is what made me stop using it. Am I getting corn oil today? Or is it some other oil? Like fish oil?

I don't think that's true. Do you have a source?

Canola oil is made from the rapeseed plant. It's very popular in Europe and the United States. Regarding your comment about acid - so? It's lower in eruric acid than other oils, which is a good thing. I don't know if that's what the A stands for, but there's nothing unhealthy about it.

I've read two mentions of rapeseed oil in this thread. I've never heard of it, and can't imagine it selling very well at the supermarket. :ohmy:

CD ;)

Rapsolja in Swedish. And if you get it cold press, it has this amazing nutty flavour. I never have that fishy smell, how ever my american friend says our smells different from the canola oil, do not know why. I will say the plant when blooming stinks.

Rapsolja in Swedish. And if you get it cold press, it has this amazing nutty flavour. I never have that fishy smell, how ever my american friend says our smells different from the canola oil, do not know why. I will say the plant when blooming stinks.

I would imagine it is a lot like olive oil, in regards to where it comes from making a difference in the taste. I went to a store in New York that sold olive oil from bulk containers, and they had little plastic cups for tasting. It is amazing how much soil, climate and other natural factors can change the flavor of the same fruit -- and the oil made from it.

As I said before, I use peanut oil for deep frying, but for sautéing and finishing, I use olive oil, mostly. I use moderately priced olive oil for pan frying or sautéing, and save the pricey stuff for finishing cooked foods.

BTW, Rapsolja looks far more marketing friendly than "rapeseed." :LOL:

CD

Peanut oil is so expensive here, the cheaper oil is rapeseed.
I got hold of an amazing Cretan oliveoil, 70% of what you pay goes back to the farmers, it a way for helping them get out the crisis and they also supportive healthy ecosystem. It was like drinking velvet, smooth, mellow rich flavour, yes I tested it and it was wonderful. Im hoping for more when next harvest is done.

When mentioning frying, I usually think 'deep frying'. Using a shallow pan for me is 'sautéing', but I rather think that's almost like splitting hairs, however, for shallow frying I use butter, EVOO and butter, lard. Not margarine, ever.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Canola oil has interesting side effect. For some people it stinks like fish oil during frying. I am one of them. I hate both.
Same here. I hate Canola oil and don't use it for this very reason.

Oddly enough, I like fish. But everything I fry in Canola oil tastes and smells like fish to me, and that's not always a good thing. :ermm:

Cilantro doesnt taste like soap, it just not my favourite fresh herb, it just something too green about the flavour..

My favourite way of shallow frying is butter and rapeseeds oil

Same here. I hate Canola oil and don't use it for this very reason.

Oddly enough, I like fish. But everything I fry in Canola oil tastes and smells like fish to me, and that's not always a good thing. :ermm:

I too like fish. But the side effects of fish oil being forced into me as a kid resulted in hating the smell.
I had to Google the canola oil. I guess it is a known fact that for some people it smells like fish oil when it gets hot.

I agree. I stopped using canola oil for the fishy smell.

Yup, I don't like that fishy smell at all. I use something cheap like vegetable (safflower oil) since I'll need 2 bottles of it, it works well.

Grapeseed for pan frying, sauteeing.

It has been years since I used canola oil. So I can't say what it tasted like to me. But I do remember I didn't like it. So I switched to all vegetable oil.

And yes, to me, cilantro does taste like soap. Always has and always will. So I just leave it out. I still remember the first time I tried to eat it. It was in a salad and I thought the restaurant hadn't rinsed their greens enough. I sent the salad back. Then a second time at my girlfriend's home, I just kept my mouth shut and when she asked me why I didn't eat the small salad she gave me, I tried to tell her very quietly and nicely, that I could taste the soap she washed her greens with. That's when she told me that "soap" was a normal complaint for cilantro for a lot of folks. She didn't use soap to wash her greens. In fact she didn't know anyone who did. We both broke into gales of laughter at that point.

Back
Top Bottom