ISO cheap and easy recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goggin

Assistant Cook
hi i am 18 years old and in college. i am soon to be living on my own. i am wondering if anyone can help me with cheap and easy recipes so as im not stuck eating pizza. lol any help or ideas is greatly appreciated.

THANKS A BUNCH

Get a book or search for some stir-fry recipes. All you really need is a non-stick wok and a spatula.

sorry i am new to the cooking thing. what is a wok? i am assuming it is some kinda pan?
and do you have any recommendations on stir-fry recipes?

are they easy to cook? or do you need some cooking background to do it? i know you can always buy those things that come in a bag but i want to make my own. plus it is cheaper. and you get a good sence that you accomplished something. :)

are they easy to cook? or do you need some cooking background to do it? i know you can always buy those things that come in a bag but i want to make my own. plus it is cheaper. and you get a good sence that you accomplished something. :)

Hi. Stir-fries are a great way to get started with cooking. I'd suggest buying an inexpensive cookbook on the topic - check amazon.com. The keys are to first cut up the ingredients so they're all ready before you start; heat the pan (you can use a skillet as well as a wok, which would be more versatile) before adding the oil (I use peanut oil - it tastes more authentic to me); and keep the food moving in the pan while you stir-fry.

When my husband and I first started out, we ate a lot of soup, salads and sandwiches. With all the convenience products out there now, like good chicken and beef stock, it's easy to make semi-homemade soups. You can also buy ready-made spaghetti sauce and doctor it up by adding fresh chopped garlic, onions, and peppers that you saute before adding the sauce.

Another thing you can do is roast an entire chicken on Sunday, find someone to teach you how to cut it up after roasting, and use the meat during the following week in other dishes, like soups and sandwiches. You can also make a large quantity of soup or stew on the weekends and freeze in individual portions (2 cups or so) so you can just put them in the fridge in the morning and they'll be thawed by dinner time; then you can heat them up in a pan or in the microwave.

HTH.

Google is your friend here - type in:

easy stir fry recipes

and then start reading the results. That's the best thing to do and that way you can pick and choose what you like.

Pasta!!

you can even combine the Stir-fry thing with Spaghetti noodles and POOF!

Lo Mein! Go to foodtv.com, Rachel Ray has an "Everything Lo Mein recipe. Very good, but double the sauce.

Yum. I had no idea what to make this week and so far I've had 3-4 good ideas for myself just answering questions!!! See why I can't get away from here?

You can always try stuffed shells. I'm not a great cook and go for the easier things plus my daughter made them when she was about 12yr old. Here's the recipe

STUFFED SHELLS
15 oz. Ricotta cheese
16 oz. Mozzarella ( i buy a bigger one for cheese on top)
1/2 cup Parmesean cheese'
1 egg
salt and pepper
1 26oz. jar spaghetti sauce
1 box jumbo shells

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
par boil (directions on box or about until shells are almost done) shells, rinse with cold water, spread out on wax paper or cookie sheet to cool

Mix together Ricotta cheese, Mozzarella cheese(save some for top of shell if desired), Parmesean cheese, egg and salt and pepper

Put a layer of sauce in bottom of baking dish. Fill cooked shells with Cheese mixture and put them in baking dish. Cover shells with sauce.

Put layer of Mozzarella and/or parmesean cheese on top, cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, remove foil continue baking for additional 15 minutes.

If you want to freeze them, after you fill the shells put them in air tight contanier and freeze when your ready to cook some take out desired amount and cook as directed, may take a little longer because they are froze.
You can also add other things to the sauce--groun beef, sausage, anything you want.

Good luck on your cooking adventures

Last edited by a moderator:
yes sorry about that, it's 16 oz. of mozzarella. my mind is faster than my fingers thanks for the correction

when I was in college, I made stuff like this in my little kitchen

tacos (just follow directions on the back of the box)
grilled cheese & tomato soup
Easy roast beef -
buy a chuck roast (wait til they are on sale), roast it with carrots, onions, celery and garlic, along with a can of beef broth. Roast it low and slow (325 for 4 hours). Makes great roast and all leftovers can go in the soup pot with a bag of mixed frozen veggies, a can of tomatoes and water (for easy beef/veggie soup)
Buy jarred spaghetti sauce and jazz it up with browned hamburger, onion and garlic, makes a decent meat sauce to go over pasta.

Easy Tuna casserole - which I lived on during my poor college years

1 Can of tuna, drained of liquid
1 bag of cheap potato chips
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
milk
shredded chedder

Preheat oven to 350. In a pie plate, put a layer of crushed potato chips, next some tuna, then more chips and so on till all the tuna is gone. Mix the soup with a can of milk, pour over the tuna layers. Top with a big handful of shredded cheddar and bake for 30 minutes.

yes sorry about that, it's 16 oz. of mozzarella. my mind is faster than my fingers thanks for the correction
I have that problem sometimes too.

The recipe sounds good. Wish I had the inclination (and the cash) to make it tonight. Oh well, tomorrow works too.

LOL Toots.... you have half of my menu for this week on your post!!! I thought I was a grown-up!

Must be all these kids....

LOL Toots.... you have half of my menu for this week on your post!!! I thought I was a grown-up!

Must be all these kids....

I still make these meals too. I have to wait til my hubby is working out of town to make the tuna casserole, he is not a fan but I LUV it.

:chef:

I have fixed it but feel free to go back in and edit a recipe if needed so other's will know what you actually meant. Editing saves people from reading the whole thread OR asking the same question. :chef:

Easy Spaghetti with Clams

Jar of spaghetti sauce (if Ragu then you may need to add more garlic and onion and seasonings--just taste)
1/2-3/4 chopped large onion
1-3 cloves garlic (to taste)
fresh or dried parsley--1 tsp-2tsp dried or tbsp. fresh
10 oz-14oz tin of baby clams
1 small can of sliced mushrooms (or fresh)
2-4Tbsps. dry red/white wine (optional)

In a small nonstick skillet (8inches in diameter) (you should also invest in a 10in. skillet while you're at it) saute the chopped onion, garlic, and fresh mushrooms in about 1-2 T of olive oil. Don't leave the pan. Stir constantly at medium heat and if you can afford to invest in a heat resistant spatula it will really be handy. Otherwise use a wooden spoon. Stir until the onion appears to be transluscent on the edges. Maybe 5 minutes. Then add this onion mixture to a medium pot with the jarred tomato sauce, canned clams, canned mushrooms (if you didn't buy fresh) 1/8/ to 1/4 cup red wine (optional) and about 1-2 tsp. Italian seasoning. Heat and let simmer about 10 minutes on low heat. If you're going to cook on a regular basis this is a nice ingredient to have on hand as you can sprinkle it into or on everything. You can buy some Italian or French bread slice it, brush some butter and then sprinkle with Italian seasoning, parmesan cheese, etc., wrap in foil and then bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. Major advice to a newbie--just keep an eye on things and taste as you go along. I like my tomato sauce sweeter so I always add a teaspoon at a time.

Good luck and welcome to the world of cooking!

Hmmm...... Cheap? Easy?

Get a box of Pasta Roni "garlic and olive oil" and a can of Snow's chopped clams. The stores around here routinely offer both at 10 for $10. The only other items you'll need is one pot, some butter and some water. Follow the directions on the box and put in the clams and 1/2 the juice when things are just about done, before you turn the heat off and let it thicken. If you're really feeling frivolous, put some parmesan cheese on it after it hits your plate :chef:

Fast food at its best :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom